PDA

View Full Version : duncan powervalve new sleeve??

georgedoggy
02-22-2005, 09:48 PM
hi,
i need to put a new sleeve in my pc2000 cylinder, do you guys know if i have to send it back to duncan? or can my local motorcycle engineer do it? i asked him, and he said if its a wiseco sleeve it was no problem, but he questioned it as its a aftermarket cylinder, maybe duncan has his own sleeves??
any ideas??
thanks

georgedoggy
02-22-2005, 10:52 PM
what about the ct prox cylinders , are they the same as the duncan pc2000 cylinders??? then i could use one of there sleeves?
thanks guys

wilkin250r
02-23-2005, 10:37 AM
I think many (if not most) aftermarket cylinders are based of the pro-x cylinders, with the individual companies adding their own porting. However, it's possible Duncan Racing is the exception, because the pc2000 cylinders are nikasil plated. Even if you could get your motorcycle mechanic to get a new sleeve, he almost certainly can't replate the nikasil.

zedicus00
02-23-2005, 10:51 AM
contact eric gorr at forward motion racing. good price good quality, can sleeve and plate it and match yur portwork.

http://ericgorr.com/index.html

wilkin250r
02-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Duncan Racing has ceramic-coated pistons, which MAY be exclusive only to them, and not available anywhere else. Also, with the nikasil plating, overbores are almost completely out of the question. Even if you DO get it bored and replated, Duncan Racing won't have pistons available for overbore sizes.

A GOOD racing shop can probably redesign your top end for you. They can resleeve you with a standard sleeve (not nikasil) and match your porting and head to a standard piston. This would give you overbore options on the sleeve AND the piston, and the top end would be rebuildable by any ordinary shop without replating or specialty-order pistons.

If I were you, I'd spend some serious time on the phone looking at all options.

XANDADA
02-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Your best bet would be to just send it back to Duncan. You can also try Baldwin Racing too since they private labeled it from Duncan...

wilkin250r
02-23-2005, 01:47 PM
As a stickler for details, I would disagree that sending it back to Duncan would be the "best" option. True, it's the option with the least complications, but may not be the best overall.

There are certainly advantages to nikasil plating and ceramic coatings. But there are disadvantages as well, namely cost and time. If it's possible to convert to a standard sleeve and piston, it would be rebuildable and/or oversized anywhere, with turnaround times much faster than going through Duncan each and every time. Duncan, although very good, is also very expensive. Sure, the conversion to a normal sleeve will be expensive the first time, but each subsequient rebuild will probably be far cheaper and faster. This can certainly be an advantage in a weekly race schedule.

Also, without the nikasil, if you have a seizure or somehow damage the cylinder wall, you can just bore it out for $60, rather than getting it resleeved and replated for $250.

Again, this is all assuming that it CAN be converted to a standard sleeve and piston. But I don't see any reason why it can't be done.

zedicus00
02-23-2005, 02:20 PM
ceramic coating is not exclusive to them, and if it was kikasl and ceramiced there is no way that thing needs bored unless the piston shatered. at the worst it would need new plating and even that i doubt. plus that piston should hav lasted a long time... maybe i didnt read sumthing correctly what exactly r u trying to do to that engine?

XANDADA
02-23-2005, 02:54 PM
my point was simply that Duncan deals with that exact cylinder day in and day out. They claim to own the rights to the pc2000 design. They ported it so they should know exactly what is going on from the get go. Why send it to a shop who has maybe, if they are lucky seen a pc2000 cylinder in their shop once. Heck even Mark Baldwin when I took him my ESR cylinder a year ago said it was the first time he had ever seen one. I wouldn't even risk giving Mark my ESR cylinder to have it resleeved and ported. The guy is supposedly the engine guru on the east coast. Ya, you'll pay an extra few bucks and wait a few extra weeks but it will most likely be done right and run better than elsewhere. Your local motorcycle engineer is used to working on v-twin engines for the local harley guys - ask him how many aftermarket 250r cylinders he's worked on before....bet he says, "you mean the old Kawasaki ninja 250 engines!" run away, don't walk, run...

wilkin250r
02-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
ceramic coating is not exclusive to them, and if it was kikasl and ceramiced there is no way that thing needs bored unless the piston shatered. at the worst it would need new plating and even that i doubt. plus that piston should hav lasted a long time...

The ceramic coating may not be exclusive to them, but the particular piston design for the pc2000 might be. Also, I would never just get a cylinder replated. I would have the entire thing stripped, resleeved, and THEN replated. It's entirely possible, if you ever have a seizure or get dirt in the intake, to mess up the cylinder walls.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that anybody SHOULDN'T go to Duncan. I have one myself, and I would send it back to them in a heartbeat if it needed work. All I am doing is presenting options. You can't really make informed decisions if you don't have the information.

zedicus00
02-23-2005, 03:20 PM
honestly unless there is damage to the sleeve i think u r throwing money away by having it resleeved then replated. not to mention the fact that unless the piston or sumthing came apart to begin with or it is a VERY old and used cylender u shouldnt even need to get it replated... im just trying to find out what happened that makes him think he needs to hav all that work dun.