PDA

View Full Version : Cam

cletusEX
02-22-2005, 08:48 PM
I know a lot has been posted on cams already. Just wanted to hear from someone who has a Hotcams Stage 1. I am looking for a more low to mid cam, but I don't want the top to suffer. Any help is appreciated.

Syer
02-23-2005, 10:25 AM
First try searching wwww.trx450r.org
or look in the performance/engine forum there

but from what I understand the stage I gives insane lower but the top hurts a little. the stage II gives decent all around gains. Plus with a stage II you can put in up to a 12:1 comp piston and still run on pump gas

440EXjay
02-23-2005, 01:20 PM
I just added the Stage 1 Hot Cam and love it. Absolutley no bottom end lug, pulls hard. Went to the dunes last weekend and running against my buds 450r w/ hrc kit, I spanked him in 1st-3rd gear and then he pulled me in 4th and 5th by about a few bike lengths. But for me its not all about top end because most of your riding is not always full throttle. Don't get me wrong I like a good race. Through the trails though I could haul @ss and keep it in 3rd gear without having to shift much at all and was waiting at the end of the trails for my buddy to show up. His complaint on his bike was he was always shifting so it did't lug and die. which will take a lot out of ya. So ya ME LIKEY..........but I would say I did suffer on the top end though.

cletusEX
02-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Syer
First try searching wwww.trx450r.org
or look in the performance/engine forum there

but from what I understand the stage I gives insane lower but the top hurts a little. the stage II gives decent all around gains. Plus with a stage II you can put in up to a 12:1 comp piston and still run on pump gas

Yeah I searched both places but all I get is what people heard or read. Just wanted to hear from someone who actually had the cam and not just what they thought was the best.

Thanks 440EXjay. I still am debating what to do. I think I would love the Stage 1 in the woods but with them making more and more GNCC's more wide open I'm afraid of not having enough top end.:(

440EXjay
02-23-2005, 01:54 PM
My thought would be to play w/ the gearing next to get alittle more topend. On a side note for GNCC you're running a taller tire that may help also.

chad502ex
02-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Personally, I have no experience with HOTCAMS, except their shim kit ;) , but i've rid'n the following on the R:
stock (of coarse) >>>> bla
crf 02 >>>> good for bottom end grunt and woods riding
HRC >>>> good for top end power dunes TT
Megacycle X2 >>>>> incredible mid to top and strongest thus far for me; although, i cannot compare to stock bore and stroke setup

my 0.02

cletusEX
02-23-2005, 02:18 PM
440EXjay, most GNCC guys run a 20 inch tire and a 13t front sprocket. This works well for the woods but is lacking a bit of topend.

Chad, I have ridden the Sparks aggresive cam and the 02 CRF cam. The sparks cam had good midrange but stopped a little early. The 02 crf cam came on a little later but really pulled on top. I tend to ride in the lower rpm range in the woods but still need some on top for the 5th gear field sections. I know I am not going to find everything I want in a cam but just wanted to find out all the details about the different cams.

chad502ex
02-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
440EXjay, most GNCC guys run a 20 inch tire and a 13t front sprocket. This works well for the woods but is lacking a bit of topend.

Chad, I have ridden the Sparks aggresive cam and the 02 CRF cam. The sparks cam had good midrange but stopped a little early. The 02 crf cam came on a little later but really pulled on top. I tend to ride in the lower rpm range in the woods but still need some on top for the 5th gear field sections. I know I am not going to find everything I want in a cam but just wanted to find out all the details about the different cams.

I understand what your concerns are. My advice is you using an adjustable cam sprocket and "dialing" in your cam to your likings.

hope this helps.

chad

dn1911
02-24-2005, 08:33 AM
if you are so worried about the stage one not having enough top end, just get the stage 2. it pulls better down low and up top. it still dosen't pull more than the HRC but works best in the midrange were you will probably spend most of your time.