PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem i think?

jarred15801
02-22-2005, 05:35 PM
I changed the engine and transmission oil a while ago and when i was changing the transmission oil i took out the filter of it and it was completely covered in metal shavings. i could scrape a pile off with my finger nail. i kept putting it in gas and using an air compressor to blow all the metal out of it and it looked like new again so i put it back in. what is it from the clutch plates? when i give it gas with the clutch in it creeps forward a little bit. and i also noticed i have to give it more gas then i used to keep it from stalling when starting out. is it the clutch or would the metal shavings be there because i had a 450 and new crank put in and that was my first oil change since then?

DeerNuts
02-22-2005, 06:16 PM
If you give the quad gas with the clutch ALL the way in, then yes, I'd guess the clutch is slipping a little. Not sure though.
I don't know where all the metal shavings came from. Your guess is as good as mine.

400exrider707
02-22-2005, 07:33 PM
No the clutch isn't slipping. Chances are your clutch basket has grooves worn into it and isn't allowing the plates to fully separate causing it to grab a little and creep forward. The metal shavings are probably from your fresh rebuild.