PDA

View Full Version : FMF headpipe, mid-pipe, blah blah blah

wilkin250r
02-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Will somebody please explain to me the different FMF systems. It's not just a header and muffer. With thier Ti-4 systems, what the heck is this "mid-pipe' crap? And how does the powerbong fit into all this?

I don't need suggestions like "just go with HMF" or anything like that. I'm not looking for suggestions, thank you. I'm looking for explanations on the FMF systems.

Rico
02-22-2005, 02:13 PM
The true question here Wilkin is what FMF stands for...:devil:

wilkin250r
02-22-2005, 02:17 PM
I've heard "Flying Machine Factory". I don't know if that's true or not, and I never cared enough to question it.

K_Fulk
02-22-2005, 02:32 PM
The mid pipe connects the head pipe to the silencer.

Why they dont make it 2 pieces is beyone me? The do offer them in stainless or titanium but I think its mostly a ploy to get more money for a complete exhaust.

I'm pretty sure its flying machine factory.

K_Fulk
02-22-2005, 02:34 PM
For some reason its only for a couple of the pipes. The megamax and I think a couple others are 1 piece rear section like normal.

wilkin250r
02-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
The mid pipe connects the head pipe to the silencer.

C'mon, now. I can figure out that much just by the name mid-pipe.

Do the others like the MegaMax or Powercore 4 require a mid-pipe?

Does the stock exhaust have a "mid-pipe" section? As far as I know, it's a 1-piece headpipe, isn't it?

Are the slip-ons just a 2-piece exhaust system, headpipe and silencer?

K_Fulk
02-22-2005, 03:01 PM
[/i]
[B]C'mon, now. I can figure out that much just by the name mid-pipe.

Do the others like the MegaMax or Powercore 4 require a mid-pipe?

These do not require a mid pipe. Most aftermarket slip on are 1 piece

Does the stock exhaust have a "mid-pipe" section? As far as I know, it's a 1-piece headpipe, isn't it?

Correct, Stock silencer is 1 piece and fits on the header.

Are the slip-ons just a 2-piece exhaust system, headpipe and silencer?

Most slip ons's are one piece and slip on the stock headpipe.
Most full systems (other than the couple fmf's) are just 2 piece header and silencer

Does that help? :ermm:

wilkin250r
02-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
[/i]
These do not require a mid pipe. Most aftermarket slip on are 1 piece

Correct, Stock silencer is 1 piece and fits on the header.

Most slip ons's are one piece and slip on the stock headpipe.
Most full systems (other than the couple fmf's) are just 2 piece header and silencer

I figured as much.

I have an FMF Q-Series slip-on muffler, and it just mounts to the stock header. I would assume an aftermarket header (like the Powerbong) would be the same basic size and length as the stock header in order for the slip-on to fit. It would HAVE to be.

Now, my muffler does have a small piece of pipe to attach to the stock header, but it's only like 4 inches long. Are telling me that the FMF mid-pipe is only 4 inches long, to go from the header to the muffler?

K_Fulk
02-22-2005, 03:23 PM
The midpipe (ti) I have seen is about 12 inces long. There is only a couple of inches of pipe on the front of the silencer.