PDA

View Full Version : Can mx tires become hard and slick over time?

eddings
02-22-2005, 01:51 PM
I have a set of kenda klaws that I have raced on for 15months they still seem to have plenty of tread left, but I notice at the last race that they were sliding out way too easy. I lowered the air pressure to 6psi and still had problems. Some corners I couldn't even give gas or it would slide out.
When I first put the klaws on I had to run 10-12psi so that they would slide, but now I can't keep it from happening.

They are starting to crack at the base of each knob. I was wondering if they are becoming hard and slick, and needing to be replaced.

I was also wondering if there is anything you can do to soften the rubber back up.

--------------------
YFZ 450 w/ Full Yoshi Ti exaust, a/c pro peg nerfs, pro taper bars, hypers w/ kendas, lonestar +4 axle, PRP +2.5 longtravel a-arms, PEP front shocks, PEP rear rebuild. I love this thing!!!

CdaleXtreme
02-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Sounds like they are starting to dry rot, and harden. They most definetly will lose traction because of the compound changed. They usually have to be sitting for years for them to become like that. Were they sitting out in the sun and weather for any extended amount of time.

Also 12psi is alot of pressure to run in a rear MX tire.

Cody_300ex
02-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Sounds like my holeshot XC's. lol

Thump_It
02-22-2005, 05:46 PM
I was under the assumption that Klaws should only be used with 5 psi, but what do I know ;) .

eddings
02-22-2005, 08:20 PM
the reason I ran 10-12psi is because they had so much side bite they wouldn't break loose. The more pressure the easier to get sideways in a corner.

Now however they won't hook up at all in the corners.

catch22blaster
02-23-2005, 07:16 AM
sounds like u need to get new tires

yfzrider93
02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
I had some Klaws that did the same thing. The tread looked ok but they didn't hook up, especially when I rode on hardpacked tracks. I got new tires and the problem was solved. Btw, I always ran 8 psi in mine.

hondaryder42
02-23-2005, 11:23 AM
throw them away !!!

i had 4 of these crack at the base of the lug. they wont hold out much longer. they are the only tire i ever had that did this but my friends also had some do this. especially on hard cornering uses.

also most tires are manufactured to have a harder compound further down in its wear life. softer at the top

eddings
02-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the help guys