PDA

View Full Version : Which grooved radials?

yamaha1470
05-04-2002, 09:04 AM
Im going to be buying some grooved front radials and was wondering is there any real big difference between the K&K or JL? Also what other companies make them? Does anyone make 20inch front grooved radials?

Thanks

400exRacerX
05-04-2002, 09:14 AM
I prefer the K&K groove,

NVR2L8
05-04-2002, 10:18 AM
I'm in the market for all four tires for my 400EX, and I thought of going with a grooved radial for the front and Razr's for the rear. I'm wondering what the advantage of the front radials are though, except that they're supposed to handle a lot better than most of the other front tires available. So unless I run MX, should I just go with a radial or stick with something like Razr fronts? How do these radials hold up for trail riding? I'm also curious what different sizes are available, and how the metric sizes I've seen compare height-wise to the common sizes found in other aftermarket tires.

400exRacerX
05-04-2002, 10:23 AM
The radials are great for motocross. They just flat out suck when it gets muddy though. There main advantage is they wear like Iron. You can get over a full season out of a pair of radials. Compared to the holeshot MX's they wear real fast,,, but they are great in the mud due to there wide tread pattern.

They have there ups and downs, but I like them over all.

Although I have holeshot mx's on a seperate set of rims for when it gets muddy.

Norm

05-04-2002, 10:40 AM
I run 18'' razr rears and K&K grooved radials. I have my own practice track by my house. I ride all the time and it looks like they arent wearing down at all. All four hook up great.

yamaha1470
05-04-2002, 01:02 PM
What size are the K&K radials?

400exRacerX
05-04-2002, 01:51 PM
19 inch

yamaha1470
05-04-2002, 02:25 PM
In my nacs catalog it also says that they have grooved radials. How are those? Does anyone make 20 inch front radials?

RideRed04
05-04-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by NVR2L8
I'm in the market for all four tires for my 400EX, and I thought of going with a grooved radial for the front and Razr's for the rear. I'm wondering what the advantage of the front radials are though, except that they're supposed to handle a lot better than most of the other front tires available. So unless I run MX, should I just go with a radial or stick with something like Razr fronts? How do these radials hold up for trail riding? I'm also curious what different sizes are available, and how the metric sizes I've seen compare height-wise to the common sizes found in other aftermarket tires.

You are confused I think. The car radials are a motocross specific tire. If you are trail riding and doing a little motocross on the side, I suggest razrs. Get the nearest to stock sizes you can (20x11-9 rear and 22x7-10 front). Ballance uses those tires, and there is a motocross section on many cross-country tracks.

400exRacerX
05-04-2002, 09:23 PM
Nac's doesnt make grooved radials anymore. When I talked to a employee he said that they were moving so many holeshot mx's that they discontinued the radials.

Baldwin has a similar groove to Nac's though, I didnt really like the nacs groove anyways. I like the K&K or the JL groove the best.

250rampage
05-04-2002, 11:00 PM
Are you serious about nac's not carrying grooved radials anymore!? Glad I got a set back in december...

Giz400ex
05-05-2002, 06:45 PM
K&K grooved radials (KUMHO is the name brand of the tire).