PDA

View Full Version : wise mods?

RedRider55
02-22-2005, 01:18 PM
i'm mostly a trail rider and have a 300ex engine takin apart and my dad says i can do what i want to it so i was wondering if these were some good mods. 11:1 big bore kit (not sure what size), cam, and port and polish head.

would these mods suit me good? how much would it cost for the engine work? does anybody know a respectable shop in ohio?

any responses would be appreciated

honduh440
02-22-2005, 01:39 PM
deffinatly those engines mods would give u a big gain

port n polish is pretty expensive usually 3-400 bux from a professional shop but to get a piston and cam it wouldnt cost ya more then 220 bux labor is probably about 3 hours if you dont do it yourself

2muchquad
02-22-2005, 01:57 PM
go with the 11.1 piston,a k&n air filter,remove the air box lid and rejet your carb,dont forget a aftermarket exhaust while your at it,that will wake your ex up nicely,save your money on a port job.the valves are already too small for the motor from honda,wont be much to gain unless you can go with over size valves.you sound like a trail rider,a cam will move your powerband upwards,the low end grunt is what makes a 300ex a good trail bike,you'll be happy with the aforementioned mods,i guarantee it

RedRider55
02-22-2005, 02:01 PM
$300-400 for port n polish:eek: i know that boring it .08 over is only a 298.... kinda surprising. do u know anything about re-sleeving? what does it do to engine reliability?

hondardr4life
02-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I have a 330 big bore in mine. It has been running since the last day of 2004, when I put it in. Runs very nice, smooth power, the valves tick a little, but thats just from the bigger cam. I have heard that 330's are very reliable, and I have had no problems so far. I gaurentee that I will be blowing my clutch out sometime in the next year, because it is still a stock clutch, and I can not find neutral 1/2 of the time. But I am hoping that it will last me all summer, and then I can replace it next winter.