PDA

View Full Version : 400 ex top speed?????

whiteknuckle
05-03-2002, 10:44 PM
does anyone actuall know the REAL stock top speed of the 400 ex??? i heard around 67 or 68 but i think its closer to 62-63 mph! and what would it be with a white brothers promeg exhaust K&N and jet kit? 70 or 75???

Blake24
05-03-2002, 11:01 PM
lol....you arn't gonna get 10 more mph with a pipe on a 400ex....

whiteknuckle
05-03-2002, 11:04 PM
hahaha buddy who said ten more with just a pipe anyway????? havnt sent hat thread anywhere have you? i asked if a pipe K&N AND a jet kit were added since the pipe im geting is upposed to add four horses plus the k&n which is good for one more plus a jet kit and that wont give te? id be surpried if it werent really close!

DEAL
05-03-2002, 11:16 PM
Get a pipe , filter , jet it , bore it to a 416 with an xr cam and higher gearing and you might be able to pull 75-77.

whiteknuckle
05-03-2002, 11:20 PM
man you guys probably know more than i do right now but i can belive that it would take all that to get going that fast i mean i know im allready doing at least 60-62 mph and youre tellin me jetted with a good pipe and k&n that i cant get to 70? my banshee only has pipes and it does like 75-80 i know that 2's respond better to pipes im just curious here! never had a speedometer on my bike yet!

DEAL
05-03-2002, 11:21 PM
Theres a huge diffrence between 2-strokes and 4-strokes.
Banshees repond alot better to pipes then a 400ex or many other 4 -strokes would.

whiteknuckle
05-03-2002, 11:25 PM
yes im very aware of that i hate to say i dont believe you cause you may be very correct but from what ive read and understand to be true all those mods are supposed to and 15% more power so 15% of 65 is about 9.75 mph so that should put us between 70-75 no problem right?

nakomis0
05-03-2002, 11:27 PM
Ther is also that extra 6th gear that probably does a little. :)

DEAL
05-03-2002, 11:29 PM
Maybe 15% increse in power , not 15% increase in speed.

whiteknuckle
05-03-2002, 11:30 PM
i just read the review of the K&N jet kit and air filter and those alone are supposed to give a 15% increase not to mention the pipe so theres no way that it would hit 70-75 mph **** if the k&n only gave half of that coupled with the pipe thats a solid 75 on pavement no problem!

whiteknuckle
05-03-2002, 11:32 PM
what if you went down a tooth in front? that helps top end but loses bottom right?

JustRace
05-04-2002, 12:36 AM
On a EX it doesn't really matter what you do, you won't gain very much top speed. But with mods, you get to that top speed a lot faster.

If you are going for speed, I know for a fact that a 400ex with 10.8:1 stock bore piston, white brothers track cam, white brothers rev limiter, and big gun exhaust will not beet a stock banshee in top speed. It will however take the banshee in a drag race until it revs out in 5th, then the banshee just walks by.

maxthrottle
05-04-2002, 07:50 PM
You can't go much faster than the low 60's in a 400EX.
And to get there you gotta pin the throttle and keep it there, hold on while the front end tries to shake your hands loose from the grips!
My GPS pegged at 58.2 but I thought the quad might have had a little more left but I had to back off. I'll have to try it again on a long straightaway sometime.

whiteknuckle
05-04-2002, 08:12 PM
i know for a fact a 400 ex with just a K&N will do at least 60 mph that was clocked not sure if it had too much left though

Tommy 17
05-04-2002, 08:21 PM
stock would be about 61 to 63 and with a pipe mayb 65

with all my mods i have and my 20s on not my 18s i bet i am doin 70... i am lucky if i am even gettin 72

shane
05-04-2002, 08:25 PM
Pipes don't do jack on the 400 or any other 4 stroke. They make it sound cool and thats about it. Unless you have major mods to go along with it.
If you open up your carb and air box you'll get a little bit. The best way to get more speed out of it would be to change your sprockets or get a 250R:D !
Never believe the articles you read in the magazines they are bought and paid for so they are going to stretch the truth!

Shane

Mailman77327
05-04-2002, 08:34 PM
Well I can say that my 400 would do 66 mph bone stock. I have the ticket to prove it! I was stopped by a Willis Texas Constable on October 3, 2000 while trying to get to my favorite riding area.
He wrote me several tickets: Speeding (66 in a 40mph zone)=$125... No vehicle registration=$80... No valid MVI Sticker=$60... No Liability Insurance=$300.
It was a pretty expensive way to find out "how fast I could go".
From that moment on....my Quad rides in the back of my truck!!!
By the way...BEWARE of "Slick-Top" police cars!!!
Cyas,
Chris

05-05-2002, 12:40 AM
Well guys I hate to bust your bubble but stock runs at 67 and with a pipe jet kit and filter 72 I know this for a fact I clocked it before and after.

05-05-2002, 06:45 AM
4 wheel atv did their hi perf. shootout an issue or two ago and the listed the top speeds for all five- raptor,cannibal,400ex,ds650baja,banshee. I think the banshee was the highest in the mid 70s- followed very closely by the raptor then the cannondale and baja, with all of those between 70-75 mph. the 400 sadly came in last with something like 66.8 mph. I wouldnt think that theyre wrong because they said they did repeated runs on a dry lake bed with gps speedos.

05-05-2002, 11:04 AM
No there not wrong I said 67mph stock and 72 with some mods.

ATV_MAN
05-05-2002, 12:51 PM
If you wnat top speed just get a 16 front tooth sprocket and a 34 back tooth with same larger rear whells and you should be smoking in top speed.But you wont have much bottom.

R-Crazy
05-05-2002, 03:10 PM
what would my 300 be running w/ the mods in my sig?

dave

honda400exrider
05-05-2002, 03:25 PM
i comletely disagree with the 15%power=15%speeed theory, in Duncan Racing, the motor kit for the 400 says, "between 25 and 35 percent power gain" and if you did that, a 400 would do 85-90 mph which is not true.
.30 (average)x65.(speed)=19.5mph speed increase
or something like that, but your theory is wrong.
a 300hp banshee doesn't do around 450mph
sorry:devil

RideRed04
05-05-2002, 04:28 PM
You can only go as fast as your gearing and revlimiter allows. Theoreticly, if you had it tapped out in 5th gear (9200 rpm) the fastest you could go is 76.52mph. If you got a 16t front sprocket, your fastest possible speed is 81.62mph. This doesnt factor aerodynamics, friction, power, or anything like that. So all these 80mph stock geared 400ex's are bull. I would like to see one that is getting even close to that without a bored out engine and a nice cam. Those are just the limits. (done with 20 inch rear tires)

whiteknuckle
05-05-2002, 05:41 PM
well from what i understand most of you guys are real close together on this i knew that stock was somewhere betwen 65 and 67 but wasnt sure and i was just hoping with mods to get somewhere around 70-73 maybe 74 mph thats all i want to get out of it i have a banshee that does close to 80 mph so ive allready got my scream machine i just want to keep my awesome low end and improve on the top end but i dont even have the pipe bolte don yet or the jet kit so ill wait for awhile

05-05-2002, 06:39 PM
You guys are clueless.

A stock 400Ex will go between 67 and 70-

I know that it will go up to 70 because mine did. i was clocked by my uncles cop car, i was also clocked at the drag races i went to, i was also clocked on a dyno at my local dealer. it was actually going 70.52 mph. Now with my mods i was clocked doin 74 mph by my local dealer. i am not really sure but if you guys think a 400Ex will only do 60 you are totally wrong or i have the fsatest stock 400Ex ever. Driving next to a car is not a good way of testing top end because the speedo on the car it is ran by the sir pressure going into a chamber and a comp read out from teh wheeles then it is averaged. so the car is bigger and gets more air flow.

Just my .02 Cents

maxthrottle
05-05-2002, 07:31 PM
I still say a stock 400EX would be lucky to get a top speed better than the low 60's on dirt. I tried it again today on a flat cinder track that was slightly downhill, I had to shut down after a quarter mile or so but it took a few tries to get 60.0 MPH on the GPS. Maybe if I had another quater mile to wind it out some more I might get another couple MPH, but 60 is it as far as I'm concerned. An indoor dyno would probably get you to the theoretical top end but that's without rider weight, wind resistance and riding surface friction. If you want a higher top end, buy a different quad.
Oh, I agree with some previous posts...the pipe, jet kit and filter doesn't add squat to your top end. just a little more torque and acceleration, maybe. You think you're going faster because it sounds cool.

yellowrider
05-05-2002, 07:47 PM
i dont know about on dirt.. or a gravel road or a field .... i have been clocked many of times and every time it was different!!! this is making me mad i wish i know how fast i was going and know for sure when i had the 15 tooth sproket

i got besides my friends car and was going up hill less than a half of a mile he said he was doing 73 and then he seen head lights so he slowed down and i turned my ooff and p;ulled over to the side of the road in some dudes field like at 1 am in the morning...

then i was behind are neighbors crown vic and they said i was doing 71 on a curvy road not a straight strench or anything so that was just rider acting stupid skills going so fast!!

then i got by a cbr when i got my 14 tooth sproket and he said i was doing between 73-74 and i had it peged with my g/f on the back
on the way back he said i was doing 69-71 when i met with him at the end of the day

so my lowest speed so far is 69 .. i don't know if i have the fastest 4 wheeler ever but i konw my buddy raptor when it runs right he dont leave me like a 660 should leave me he just walks i mean walks away when i am peged

05-05-2002, 08:27 PM
maxthrottle has either got the slowist 400ex out there or there is something wrong with it.

yellowrider
05-06-2002, 04:16 AM
i would have to agree or he cant ride worth a darn....

whiteknuckle
05-06-2002, 09:55 AM
yes im curious to see what these r really running at becaus ei know for a fact that ,my buudies banshee does at least 77 mph because that was clocked but he had a litlle left and i know when he and i race each othger he wins but not by a whole lot maybe 5 mph or so, so i could just about bet im getting somewhere around 70-71 mph and ill put money on that!

87Warrior
05-06-2002, 01:26 PM
A 400ex is one of those quads that'll do 60 one day and then do 70 the next

you people clocking em at 60 must live at a higher elevation or something

i clocked my friends 400ex (K&N) at 67mph with my garmin e-trex at about 80ft above sea level and it was a hair over a quarter mile

A car and a dyno are *****ty ways of clocking a quad, a dyno doesn't factor in rider weight, wind resistence, etc.. and a ca's speedometer can be wrong(my dad's '94 car says 47 while the gps says 43, but in my mom's 2002 car the speedo says 73 while the gps says 72-74)... and the person in the car could have rounded the number, or they could have been going a little faster(but not noticebly faster) than you.

a 400EX goes 65-70 but not over 70 stock ...end of story

whiteknuckle
05-06-2002, 02:09 PM
go for the real mans machine the 400! anyhow youre right i mean thats about what nost of us are claiming to be stock anyway so i think most of us are on the right wavelength here i figure im around 67 or so and the other thing is the damn engine will only rev so high stock so no matter how fast we get to 9200 rpm in 5th gear its only gonna rev those damn tires around so fast i think the best way to get more top speed is get a rev kit and mod youre bike out but the guy at the dealership told me when i asked is a rev kit a good idea he told me "yea if you like blowin engines" end quote so im stayin away from those damn things! but moded out id say were around 70 more if ya got the rev kit though its only natural that if it revs higher youll go faster!

87Warrior
05-07-2002, 04:14 PM
what are you talkin about, shaft-driven sport quad?

ride300exred
05-07-2002, 04:34 PM
All quads are different the newer 400's have a slightly hotter cam,
There are so many factors a quad cannot be the same in every place.
Weight , wind, road surface , elevation etc etc.
My quad only goes about 45 50 . topped jut because I have it geared that way ( for a track) .
Guys just dont worry Just ride your machines .

NJ300ex
05-07-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by ride300exred
All quads are different the newer 400's have a slightly hotter cam,
There are so many factors a quad cannot be the same in every place.
Weight , wind, road surface , elevation etc etc.
My quad only goes about 45 50 . topped jut because I have it geared that way ( for a track) .
Guys just dont worry Just ride your machines .

I am positive that there have been no changes to the 400ex throughout its short lifespan besides new graphics.

ride300exred
05-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Yes they actually do the 99' , and 00' have the same cam then the new 01" 02' Have a slightly hotter cam not very noticable but there is a difference.
Kris .

Tommy 17
05-07-2002, 06:54 PM
i don't think the cams are differnt... the only thing that i know is differnt is the graphics, and the 02 the bolt on the black side panel at the bottom is a phillps on the older and on the new its a weird allen key or something... i also think they changed the rear fender a tad on the newer ones but nothing major...

RideRed04
05-07-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by 400ex21
i don't think the cams are differnt... the only thing that i know is differnt is the graphics, and the 02 the bolt on the black side panel at the bottom is a phillps on the older and on the new its a weird allen key or something... i also think they changed the rear fender a tad on the newer ones but nothing major...

My 02 has an allen bolt, but in a service manual for a '99 is shows a philips head. I think it depends on what they had in stock at the time.

whiteknuckle
05-07-2002, 07:51 PM
yes 87 warrior didnt you know that i had no idea what i was talking about????? lol

JustRace
05-07-2002, 08:18 PM
WhiteKnuckle put the crack pipe down and step away from the computer. 300ex shaft drive :huh

whiteknuckle
05-07-2002, 10:09 PM
just race you could tone it down a bit i dont believ ive addressed you that way have i? anyhow i thought it was a shaft drive when i was looking at the ex my buddy told me to stay away from the 300 cause it was shaft drive and they had one a yellow one at my dealer and it had a shaft drive on it? i guess it must have been a 250 i saw and he must be the one on the crack pipe! yup that was it i just checked the website and it was the 250 man that makes no sense theyd make a 250 and 300 four stroke what the **** are they thinking? i mean talk about no difference almost! that seems silly to me!

ride300exred
05-08-2002, 01:19 PM
They are hotter thats what a honda tecnician told me , And also 99's have a small difference also some came with Mikuni carbs some with Keihins (majority keihins )

05-08-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by whiteknuckle
just race you could tone it down a bit i dont believ ive addressed you that way have i? anyhow i thought it was a shaft drive when i was looking at the ex my buddy told me to stay away from the 300 cause it was shaft drive and they had one a yellow one at my dealer and it had a shaft drive on it? i guess it must have been a 250 i saw and he must be the one on the crack pipe! yup that was it i just checked the website and it was the 250 man that makes no sense theyd make a 250 and 300 four stroke what the **** are they thinking? i mean talk about no difference almost! that seems silly to me!

Dude, did you graduate middle school? There is absolutely no punctuation. You spelled everything wrong and you have no idea what the **** you are talking about! Sorry to be so blunt, but I cannot stand careless people. Maybe you should brainstorm and write an outline before you respond? Sorry if this was insulting (I'm sure it was). Maybe you don't speak english as your primary language?:huh

05-08-2002, 03:50 PM
When my quad was bone stock the top speed with the trailtech speedo was 68.2. Right now I have holeshots (stock sized but still slightly shorter than stock) an fmf pipe, filter and jet kit and my record top speed is 69.7. Both of these readings were taken on a calm day (no wind) on a long asphalt road, hitting the rev limiter. I weigh 150lbs with all of my riding gear on and my altitude is around 30ft above sea level. As said before, 2-strokes so respond a lot more drastically to intake/exhaust systems. This is mostly because 2-strokes make all their power from revs. The faster you can get air in and out (pipe, filter and jet kit) the more power and revs you will have. Also said before, Quad Magazines are corrupt! They've never written a bad review about anything they've ever tested. This doesn't help the quad companies at all because they don't know what to improve for the following year. Say Car and Driver tests the new Porche 911 cab. and they say that the top is too clumsy and hard to open, next year's porche convertible will have a top that is easier to open and close! Getting back to the top speed issue, I really don't think that you can feel that extra 2 or so mph that you get from adding a pipe, filter and jet kit. Top speed, to me anyway, is not very important if you really want to ride the quad for what it's made for, SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! The quad is plenty fast.

05-08-2002, 03:55 PM
I got mine going 68.5 with stock gearing and 22" tires up a slight incline on pavement. I used a garmin e-trex summit gps. If I went the other way, I know I would easily top 70mph. It wasn't reving out all the way(cause I weigh 210lb, and the 22" tires with stock gearing)

Since then, I switched to a 14 tooth c/s sproket(one down from stock), and it revs out almost all the way in 5th on soft ground. and i can shift it much faster, and it accelerates quicker. I am willing to bet the top speed isn't too far off 67-70mph. I will have to try sometime. I also have a pipe, intake modifications, and rejetted carb+raised needle.

whiteknuckle
05-08-2002, 03:58 PM
first of all buddy, i only spelled like two things wrong and thats because i type very fast and dont stop to look at what ive done because im a very impatient person. And I don't always take the time to stop and put in punctuation! I am a very good speller and won many spelling b's back in school, so Iam very able to spell with the best of them! As a matter of fact when my wife wants to know how to spell something she comes to me! And this isn't an insult forum so id appreciate it if you wouldnt get on here to bash people! It's a shame we have people like you here who are trying to make others look bad! That doesnt help our sport when fellow riders bash one another! it's a downright shame buddy and i hope it made you feel like a better person for having submitted that post and making someone else look bad! good thing you never make any mistakes huh?

ride300exred
05-08-2002, 07:43 PM
Calm down Guys you should be lucky to have a 400ex I have a 300ex. :p

whiteknuckle
05-08-2002, 08:15 PM
lol! That's one way to look at it huh! i just don't think we should be on here insulting each other! all of us are here to talk about atv's right?

ride300exred
05-08-2002, 08:34 PM
But One thing that is always a dead subject is top speed ,
Every site I was ever on there is a arguement about top speed. Dont argue over top speed , Brag about riding skills haha j/k .
Ya know what Im not asshamed I ride a 300 and it only goes around 50 , I keep Up with a 400ex . Speed doesnt matter as long as you have the power to pull out of a turn or rosst your budd, who cares how fast your going , ok In drag races I could see where your coming from , But thats not what riding is all about , theres more to riding then just a strait Line , If a pro was riding a stock 300 and I was riding a 400ex I imagine he would beat me, So its 90 % rider 10% quad. So guys dont argue over a contriversial topic like top speed, Cant we all just Roost like good boys and girls .:D

RideRed04
05-09-2002, 08:10 PM
...But it is always fun to outrun cars going along side you on the road...:D

400exNH
05-10-2002, 11:14 AM
It's not how fast you can go , it's how fast you can get there.

Lorduss
05-10-2002, 11:12 PM
"comletely disagree with the 15%power=15%speeed theory, in Duncan Racing, the motor kit for the 400 says, "between 25 and 35 percent power gain" and if you did that, a 400 would do 85-90 mph which is not true.
.30 (average)x65.(speed)=19.5mph speed increase
or something like that, but your theory is wrong.
a 300hp banshee doesn't do around 450mph "
this reply is to the genral subject,
as far as HP gains,
if you double HP, you increase speed by 50-60% on avrage.
if you have a truck that does 100mph at 200HP, give it 400 it well do 150-160,
its the same for any preformance machine, but theres so many small factors you cant mesure,
wind resistance is a huge factor.
going from 25HP to 50HP well be a greater gain than going 50-75HP
inrelation to top speed because of wind and drag.
its just from my personal experance.

whiteknuckle
05-11-2002, 08:30 AM
lorduss youre right but thats almost exactly what 400exrider allready said! i didnt really put much thoguht into it when i asked the question but we can stop beating this dead horse allready! thanks for all the helpfull info fella's!

hey! what was that red thing?
I don't know it went by too fast!!