PDA

View Full Version : how do you workout?

bigfoot300ex
02-21-2005, 12:13 PM
What do you guys do to workout if you dont have much
to work with and cant get to a gym?
I have about 155 lbs. of weights, one 5 ft. bar for benching,etc.
and some freehand weights.
My question is how do I get back into shape using just this stuff?
I already do sit-ups and push-ups almost everyday but I cant
bench or anything like that b/c i dont have anyone to spot me.
With what I have,what can i do to get in good shape for racing
and get rid of a little bit of fat?

DeerNuts
02-21-2005, 12:23 PM
1. Run or jog.

2. Watch what you eat.

3. Keep doing situps and pushups and increase them daily by one or two.

4. Just start out with a little bit of weights so theres no danger of it hurting you. (Unless youre already past that point of course).

Doing those things certainly cant hurt and might help a little.

Bush0102
02-21-2005, 12:27 PM
1. Run 5 days a week, lift 3 days a week.

2. Watch your diet. You dont have to go no carb or no fat...just try not to eat too much of anything. basically, multiply your weight by 11 and keep your caloric intake under that number.

3. Try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise on the days you are exercising

4. Be patient. Its going to take a few weeks before you notice any results.

Dust_1503
02-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Use the bar for curls, you can also do an upright row with free weights, and you can do a military press. If you don't know how to do a or some lifts just say and i can go into more detail.

bigfoot300ex
02-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
1. Run 5 days a week, lift 3 days a week.

2. Watch your diet. You dont have to go no carb or no fat...just try not to eat too much of anything. basically, multiply your weight by 11 and keep your caloric intake under that number.

3. Try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise on the days you are exercising

4. Be patient. Its going to take a few weeks before you notice any results.
i will try and start doing this.
Results in just a few weeks is better than i thought.
anymore suggestions?

bigfoot300ex
02-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Dust_1503
Use the bar for curls, you can also do an upright row with free weights, and you can do a military press. If you don't know how to do a or some lifts just say and i can go into more detail.
i already do curls daily but I;m not sure
what the upright row is unless its when you lay down on your back and pull the freeweights down to your side and meet them up in the center of your body with arms fully extended?

beak7707
02-21-2005, 01:46 PM
I know a few top pros and A riders ride bikes. This is a very good form of exercise to get into shape. Most people dont like to run but biking doesnt seem as bad.

Rico
02-21-2005, 02:14 PM
My work is in a 4 story building and I don't go to a gym so I utilize my lunch time to work out.

I go into a non busy stairwell and do the following.

I start at the bottom and walk as fast as I can to the top and back down. I then do 10 pushups with arms at shoulder width.

That counts as 1.

I then run to the top and back down. I then do 10 pushups with arms about 6 inches farther out than shoulder width.

Thats counts as 2.

I then repeat this rythm over until I reach 20.

Thats equal to walking up 40 flights of stairs and running up 40 flights, and doing 200 pushups.

This workout takes me around 30 minutes and I do it 3 times a week. Mon-Wed-Fri and I run about 3 - 4 miles on saturday if I get bored and I"m lookin for something to do.

The steps workout will hand you your *** I don't care how good of shape your in. It works well and I recommend it to anyone that doensn't want to go to the gym..

I"m down from 219 to 205 in 4 weeks on top of watching my food intake, and I feel like a million dollars. This work out will do you better for racing than pumpin iron at the gym, I garauntee it. toning muscles is what you want not building them up to look like Gov. Arny.

:macho :macho :macho

bansheeguy77
02-21-2005, 02:21 PM
you dont need a spotter to bench. it is nice but not necessary as long as you dont go over your limit. im basically in the same boat, i just lift in my basement for right now til the weather breaks then im joining a gym. you can basically do all the workouts you want, with a little variation. what is your max on bench? just start out benching like 70lbs, see how that feels. now this isnt going to get you huge but it will tone you, ya can work on mass later. right now your building stamina and all that good stuff. so just do like 3 sets of 10 reps each with a light enough weight where your not struggling. and always let the clamp off on one side incase you cant get it up. then just roll to the side with no clamp and the weight falls off.
my workout i usually start out running in place to get my heart rate up. then just work 2 body parts a day. go to www.bodybuilding.com they have so many workout programs its crazy, you can find one you like. like everyone said just watch your food intake, not alot of greasy stuff. you just cant max out some things by yourself, but still can get a good workout to get yourself on the right track.

Nausty
02-21-2005, 07:13 PM
i use to play football but now is all i do is lift weights 3 times a week at least.

Other than that I pry don't get in a lot of exercise besides from when i'm running from cops or getting in fights.:o

dannyboy20
02-21-2005, 08:13 PM
www.bodybuilding.com chechk that out they have an exercise section with hundreds of different variations of exercises with different kinds of equipment.

FourFiftyFour
02-21-2005, 08:21 PM
on my breaks at work i run a mile or so everyday, then try to ride on weekends...well ive been trying to do that but it doesnt always happen.... im still out of shape..lol

bigfoot300ex
02-22-2005, 09:32 AM
bansheeguy77
I dont know what my max is on bench but it is probably around
180-200 lbs.
When my dad is home and can spot me I usually do 3 sets of 10 at 95-110 lbs.so maybe i will try around 75 by myself.
Rico that sounds like an awesome workout plan.

PHAT400
02-22-2005, 09:42 AM
I do not compete on quad's but I did race NASTAR (skiing) for 15 yrs.. Upper body strength was just as important as lower body strength.. I to this day still do as many DIPs as my body will allow...

Make's for some awesome triceps and my upper body strength is still what it was when I was 20... (I'm 36 now)..

Hope that help's.. It would'nt hurt..

honduh440
02-22-2005, 09:56 AM
make sure when your bench pressing you take the clamps on the end OFF "the things that hold the weights on" so if you get stuck you can tilt the bar to one side and the weights will fall off then the other side will do the same and ur free.

also get some sort of bench get your dumbells and on one knee lean forword and pull the weight up to your chest that will do your tricepts then obviously curls for your bicepts bench pressing for your shoulders and pecks "also change your angles of bench pressing by using the dumbells" and do your curls with wrist motion only for your forearms

when i started lifting weights i had a personal trainer and the best way to start is to do 3 sets of 10 on everything and increase your weight by 10 pounds each time. do that for 2 weeks to get your muscles ready if you havnt started working out already

tclapp
02-22-2005, 10:23 AM
not to sound mean or any thing but i woudlnt try to put up 180-200 with out a really good spotter if you are only doing 90-110 reps 3 times

bigfoot300ex
02-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by tclapp
not to sound mean or any thing but i woudlnt try to put up 180-200 with out a really good spotter if you are only doing 90-110 reps 3 times

its ok it is really just a guess since I only have 155 lbs. of weights and i can do that about 7-8 times so i just figured i would probably max around 180-200
but as far as a good spotter,
my dad is 6-5 250lbs and didnt lift weights for 15 years
until i got into it a few months ago and he was doing the 155 like nothing was there

Dust_1503
02-22-2005, 12:28 PM
The upright row with a freeweight bar is when you would take both hands and grip the bar in the center with both hands together. Also when you grip the bar grip it from the top as if your knuckles are looking back at you. Start with the bar at your waist then lift it upward toward your collarbone keeping your hands close to you body the whole motion your elbows should kick out. So basically your just pulling the weight from your waist toward your chin. This lift will work on your biceps, shoulders, and upper back muscles. It also works on the pecs somewhat.

bigfoot300ex
02-22-2005, 12:32 PM
ok Dust_1503
I know what you are talking about now,thanks

Thump_It
02-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Running will get you in the best shape overall. Don't just go out and jog a few miles. Get your heart rate up and breathing up, this will make your body more resistant to fatigue. The sit-ups and push-ups are added bonuses to do after your run. I suggest running 5-6 days a week.

As for food, you want to eat everything, but do not overdue it on sugars. Fat foods are good for you as long as you are working out because they are a great source of energy for your body. Protein is good for after workouts, while carbs are good for energy storing before workouts.

As for weight training, you don't want to max out if you are wanting to get in shape for riding. Lift lower weights at higher reps. This will help reduce fatigue while riding. Make sure and be good and warm before lifting. The last thing, stretch, being more flexible will help you out in whatever you do.

Sorry for the long post, but this workout is from a highly touted Division 1 Track and Field program that has been slightly moddified. Good luck.

oldschool
02-22-2005, 12:47 PM
free Weights, twice a week.

Bench; 5 reps of whatever you can lift 8 times.
Standing Curl; 5 reps curl as much as you can lift 8 times
preacher curl; 3 reps of about 15 lbs less than your standing curl
Shoulder shrugs; dumbells as heavy as you can hold, 5 reps of 50.
Militery press; 5 reps of a comfortable weight depending on your level, increasing small amounts of weight weekly.
Lat Pull Down; 5 reps of as heavy weight as you can pull 8 times.

run 4.5 miles per week.
mountain bike; 10 miles a week (or more)

diet: i eat/drink whatever i want.
protein; supplement with a whey powder daily intake.

This works for me.
Drink plenty of Stag also......

bigfoot300ex
02-22-2005, 02:00 PM
what is stag?

Nausty
02-22-2005, 10:28 PM
you lift weights! I lift joints