PDA

View Full Version : 450R shocks on a 400ex??

400exPete
02-21-2005, 11:51 AM
I have heard that you can use the 450R front shocks on a 400ex with some slight modifications. I was wondering if that was really true. I think it would be a good mod to do to a 400 since the 450 shock is adjustable and has a resevoir. If anyone can give me some insight on this it would be much appreciated. The suspension seems to be the weakest link in the 400 from what I can tell. If others disagree please chim in and explain why. Thanks for all the help.

rockbronco
02-21-2005, 12:03 PM
go look in the suspension section, there is a decent post with pictures on this subject there

400exPete
02-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Wow! I have been looking through all of the posts and it is about as clear as mud. :confused: It looks like one guy is dead set against using 450R shocks on the 400ex but he never explains himself.:ermm: It also looks like he is in the business of aftermarket parts; I wonder if that has something to do with his being against their use. From what else I have seen others say it works fine with a little modification. I guess the biggest difference is that the 450R front shock is longer (some say 1/4", some 3/8", and others 3/4"). I wish I knew which one was correct.
I am just looking to update the stock shock to something a little firmer. I am, ummmm, on the larger side (250+) so firmer shocks would be a benefit. I just thought this would be a good upgrade without spending $500. Now I'm not sure. If anyone has real world experiance I am all ears. Thanks.:)

khen
02-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I've had the 450R fronts on mine for about 1 year and I really like them. I think some people generally suggest against riding a shock that is not specifically designed for the quad because the mount points and stroke are not exactly the same and therefore it could possibly cause premature ball joint wear.. So far this has not been the case for me, and I ride pretty hard.

If you do get the 450R shocks I would suggest you have them revalved for your weight if you plan on riding them hard(jumping, whoops etc).

rockbronco
02-21-2005, 04:48 PM
I got alot of opinions when researching this too, just decided to to it myself and go from there. I rode it this last weekend and dialed the shocks in for my riding stlye. I have to say they are way better than the stock ones for a hell of alot less than buying expensive race shocks. I loosed the preload all the way and backed out the compression adjustment 1 full turn and is pretty close to how i want it. the bike jumps and lands alot better, handles the whoops better, and soaks up other obsticals better than stock. they are longer than the factory 400 shock, I forgot to measure it but I would say its about 1/2" none the less they are working fine.

400exPete
02-21-2005, 08:32 PM
So what do you think is fair price to pay for the shocks? I was hoping to get a pair for under $100. Am I too low? If anyone has a set for sale I am interested. Thanks, again guys.:)

416HiRoller
02-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Yea some guys are selling them $200-300 on ebay, so I wouldn't bet on getting any for less than $100.

rockbronco
02-21-2005, 09:00 PM
I shoped around alot and havent seen them for less than 250bucks

250R-Dee
02-23-2005, 05:36 PM
I know this is not the classified section but I have a complete set (front and rear) of 450R shocks if anybody is interested. The fronts are mounted on my 250R I but have never used them. The rear was never installed because it doesn't fit on a 250R frame. I would like to sell them as a complete set. All three shocks cost me $550(shipped). Check the link in my sig for pics and description.

dannyboy20
02-25-2005, 05:03 AM
i have seen the fronts for $150 at k&k. but their web site is not currently working.

LIL440EX
02-25-2005, 12:58 PM
WORK ON MINE AND I LOVE THEM

mxjunky
02-28-2005, 09:34 PM
i bought a set off ebay for 300 bucks (nearly new) and put on my 01 400, had to do a little grinding and they are a great improvement. however they are a bit stiff because of the different geometry of the 450. my bike shop mentined having them revalved and resprung for my weight and riding style. check it out it is a great improvement!

muddy400EX
03-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by mxjunky
i bought a set off ebay for 300 bucks (nearly new) and put on my 01 400, had to do a little grinding and they are a great improvement. however they are a bit stiff because of the different geometry of the 450. my bike shop mentined having them revalved and resprung for my weight and riding style. check it out it is a great improvement!

how much grinding did ya have to do and where at? im really wantin to get some but if it takes alot of modifying then i dont think i will

rockbronco
03-03-2005, 12:54 PM
only have to grind a little bit of material off the upper eyelet to get it to clear the fender mount nut.

rockbronco
03-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by mxjunky

try softening the preload adjustment and going 1 turn out on the compression screw. thats about what Im running on mine and Im like it alot.

mxjunky
03-23-2005, 09:39 PM
ui ground down the nut on the frame a little until the shocks cleared....had to use shorter bolts on fender bracket. i didn't think about grinding the shock, but whatever works. i also took all the preload out that i could.

Norris3710
03-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Not to steel the thread or anything but i was reading then dirt wheels mag and i saw works makes aftermarket springs for these shocks i was wondering if anybody has tried these!