PDA

View Full Version : how exactly do you drill out a broken bolt?

Out_Sider
02-21-2005, 10:43 AM
u kno the front brake resiovor, how it has 2 screw driver screws holdin it in, well one of the screws were stripped out where i put it on, and so i grinded a straight line in it, and used a flat head on it, and i broke the *******. so how do you go about drilling it out? i really dont want to have to rethread it, so is there anyway to get it out? there is a good bit of the bolt out of the threads just sticking up, and i tried gettin needle nose pliers and turning it, but the bolt is like siezed in there.. and im scared im gonna mess it up. any ideas?

400exrider707
02-21-2005, 12:14 PM
let it soak overnight with like PB blaster, then put some vice grips on it.

Out_Sider
02-21-2005, 01:14 PM
theres not enough of the bolt sticking out to get even small vice grips on it, idk what im gonna do

300exOH
02-21-2005, 01:17 PM
You can drill a very small hole(1/16" or so) in what is left of the bolt and use an easy out.

chucked
02-21-2005, 01:44 PM
I has the same problem, I used some of these, work like a charm. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952154000

NacsMXer
02-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by chucked
I has the same problem, I used some of these, work like a charm. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952154000

Yup, those little Craftsman bits worked for me on those darn master cylinder screws. I tried an easy-out the first time but it didn't want to catch. Just make sure you replace them with an allen head type of screw instead of those phillips ones that love to strip out.

xNOILABOYx
02-21-2005, 07:25 PM
take a dremel w/ a cutting wheel,cut straight across and use ur flathead screw driver... :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

wheeltrax
02-21-2005, 07:30 PM
thats what he said he did..

watts16
02-21-2005, 09:01 PM
just use a easy out i was helping my friend put in a new motor in his truck
we go to torque the bolts and one of them snaps. used an easy out. worked like a charm

jjohnst03
02-21-2005, 11:09 PM
a left handed drill bit will work too. thats what I always use. I work at a cotton gin and thats how we get all of our broke bolts out there too.

Aallron
02-21-2005, 11:13 PM
When you drill the machine screw drill slowly so that you do not work harden the metal and dull the drill bit and drill all the way through the machine screw. Drill for a few seconds, take the bit out, look to see how far and repeat. You need to drill all the way through to allow the machine screw to relax its grip on the housing.

Cody_300ex
02-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by chucked

Go and buy about 2 or 3 of these just incase you break one. I broke 7 on one bolt once. :o

Out_Sider
02-24-2005, 12:54 PM
where can you buy easy outs?

i thought my dad said we had some, but i guess not

chucked
02-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
where can you buy easy outs?

i thought my dad said we had some, but i guess not Just go to sears and buy a set of craftsman ez outs, do not go cheap, they break easily

kilabeez0
02-26-2005, 07:49 PM
what do u do when the easy outs snap off? on my ole 200x project this happened with an exhaust mount bolt and i still haven't fixed it because i cant get the snapped off easy out tip out of the snapped off bolt :o

chucked
02-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by kilabeez0
what do u do when the easy outs snap off? on my ole 200x project this happened with an exhaust mount bolt and i still haven't fixed it because i cant get the snapped off easy out tip out of the snapped off bolt :o lol, I took my frame to a machine shop to get it looked at when one snapped off inside one of the bolts for the pegs, It was costly, because you need to drill the ez out, out and it wasnt a cheap bit, and you can only get one use out of it because the ez out is made of such a hard metal, it just wears it down, I think it was like 60-70 for the bit plus labor, I just welded the foot peg on...

Goose19561
02-27-2005, 05:51 AM
kilabeez0

To remove the broken easy out you need to make the steel in the easy out softer. You can do this with a torch. Use the smallest tip you have and make the flame white hot. Heat the easy out and bolt cherry red. Then let it cool to room temperature. Then center punch the center of the easy out. If you can not center punch the metal is still to hard. Reheat the easy out and try to let it cool slower. After you can center punch the easy out, you should be able to drill it out and start again. The only other way is to take it to local machine shop and have them burn it out with a tap burning machine. Most shops have one.

jaydiddy
02-28-2005, 09:42 AM
weld a bolt to it then back it out