PDA

View Full Version : 250x topend

Mxjunkie
02-21-2005, 12:59 AM
I may be buying a 250x for 100 dollars, it has a blown topend and no exhaust pipe, is there anything i should really look for and any tips on rebuilding it for some go but not as much cha-ching out of my wallet?

And which pipe would best be suited for xc use?

Gearing mods?

Any help would be great help thanks!

bradley300
02-21-2005, 09:48 AM
if it dosent have an exhaust, i would take the hole bottom end apart and make sure theres nothing wrong. could be quite a bit of water and who knows what in it, especially if its been sitting outside. its old, so there should be a crack in the frame right behind the left foot peg if it was ridden hard. hmf makes a good pipe, but you will need to get a header from white brothers. hmf dosent make one. go with about a 11:1 piston, shouldnt really be anymore than a stock compression piston but you should get a little more power and till use pump gas. if you have the top end apart, replace the timing chain since your in there anyway and it probably hasnt been done

MXQUAD294
02-21-2005, 09:58 AM
If its an '87 model 250X be careful. They had a problem with 3rd gear going out.

Mxjunkie
02-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
if it dosent have an exhaust, i would take the hole bottom end apart and make sure theres nothing wrong. could be quite a bit of water and who knows what in it, especially if its been sitting outside. its old, so there should be a crack in the frame right behind the left foot peg if it was ridden hard. hmf makes a good pipe, but you will need to get a header from white brothers. hmf dosent make one. go with about a 11:1 piston, shouldnt really be anymore than a stock compression piston but you should get a little more power and till use pump gas. if you have the top end apart, replace the timing chain since your in there anyway and it probably hasnt been done

thanks that helps me alot, im just praying the motors not a basket case, the guy told me its been sitting in his garage and it would be fine if we just put a sleve and a piston but i think my dad has other plans as far as motor work... :)

Mxjunkie
02-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by MXQUAD294
If its an '87 model 250X be careful. They had a problem with 3rd gear going out.

i think it is, the guy told me it was a 89 but they didnt make then in 89 soo i'll have to look, i'll have tons of pics to post if i get it

2muchquad
02-21-2005, 11:24 AM
well for a $100 you cant go wrong.even if you put 5 times that into it,you'll still have a reliable scoot.you cant even buy a trx 90 for what you'll put into the 250x.

bradley300
02-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
well for a $100 you cant go wrong.even if you put 5 times that into it,you'll still have a reliable scoot.you cant even buy a trx 90 for what you'll put into the 250x.

agreed, even if you have to buy a used motor off this site, your still getting a cheap quad