PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin CRF450 ignition, wiring, CDI, flywheel all for 450r... MAKES 450 RIP!!!

416exmx
02-20-2005, 07:43 PM
***FOR SALE***

We have an extra ignition set-up for sale. This consists of a 450r side cover with a CRF450 stator and pick-up installed. It has a custom plate used to mount the stator. It also has the CRF450 flywheel that has been slightly machined to fit the 450r. Then from there we have the CRF450 wiring harness and CDI box. You use the stock 450r coil with this. The work was all done by Baldwin and everything is NEW, NEVER instaled (also have side cover gasket)..... This is a VARY expensive set-up and would take weeks to even get ahold of. I have it ready to ship....I will need your stock side cover back in exchange (just the cover).......$$$make offers$$$

Now all you need now is the CRF450 carb ($370ish from service honda) and you will simply be amazed what new creature the 450r is.

farmbig_01@wabash.net

outacontrol31
02-21-2005, 12:00 PM
i got mine from johnny, it absolutely ripped for the 10 minutes it ran before it broke down, we think the crank or piston is ciesing, (sp) it wasnt' anything the kit did, my motor wasn't running before i put that stuff on cause of a valve, but now it's all about to be fixed, but deffiniatly worth the money, turned my 450 from a race quad, to a BEAST, and i don't even have the quad, plus the new wiring is really nice, everything is simple and clean looking, i recomend the kit 100%, o ya, and just for reference, the kit is over 500 doller's new i believe, so that should give ya an idea on what to offer

trailtech
02-22-2005, 12:49 AM
As noted, this mod makes a huge difference. This mod gives the quad a huge hit off the bottom. Not only do you get the CRF CDI but you loose half the flywheel's rotational inertia. Here are some pictures of this mod:
TRX to CRF Ignition (http://www.trailtech.net/trx_conversion.htm)

jimboatv
02-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Can I still run my Vortex Ignition with this set up?
Can you run lights with this.
Will this work with the stock 450r carb?

Thanks,

trailtech
02-22-2005, 10:25 PM
This mod requires the CRF CDI. A votex CDI would need to be one designed for a CRF450. You will get much more from this mod than you would with any CDI-only mod.

You need to have a rewound CRF stator for lights. This will get you about 100 watts of light (easily run the stock lights).

kgbg
02-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Trail Tech, can you rewire the stator if I already have one?
Thanks for the info!

trailtech
02-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Yes, we can wind your stator. We do these stators every day.

Our flywheels run high energy magnets that overdrive the stator to 100 watts. If you have a stock CRF flywheel, you will get less power. With a stock CRf flywheel and a rewind, you will get about 40 watts.

kgbg
02-23-2005, 09:42 AM
I have the Johnny Hale version of this kit, but it appears to use your mount plate.
Just to clarify:
To run the fan if I wanted to hook it up to a switch, for the summer, so I could kick it on when in between races at the dunes, you can rewind stator only?
Lights: 40Watts with stator rewwind, and what do I need to do to get to 100watts?

trailtech
02-23-2005, 12:42 PM
kgbg,

Yes, we can rewind the stator only and you can run the fan from a switch.

To get a 100 watts you need a flywheel with high energy magnets (our flywheel). Have a look here:

http://www.trailtech.net/flywheel_1.htm

Send a picture of your flywheel to tech_support@trailtech.net and we will let you know what flywheel you have. Some who sell this kit use our flywheel, other just modify the OEM CRF flywheel. If the flywheel is ours, you will see balance features on the outside of the flywheel. As far as we know, we are the only aftermarket company that has a dynamic balancer for CRF flywheels.

kgbg
02-23-2005, 01:22 PM
I appreciate your help very much, this is very imformative, good job!

I got the flywheel in a Honda box, so I will have to get you a picture. It will be the first part of next week, I am off to Mexico to celebrate my anniversary. Thanks again, and I will be intouch with you soon.

chad502ex
02-23-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by trailtech
kgbg,

Yes, we can rewind the stator only and you can run the fan from a switch.

To get a 100 watts you need a flywheel with high energy magnets (our flywheel). Have a look here:

http://www.trailtech.net/flywheel_1.htm

Send a picture of your flywheel to tech_support@trailtech.net and we will let you know what flywheel you have. Some who sell this kit use our flywheel, other just modify the OEM CRF flywheel. If the flywheel is ours, you will see balance features on the outside of the flywheel. As far as we know, we are the only aftermarket company that has a dynamic balancer for CRF flywheels.

I had purchased a Trailtech +9oz flywheel for the trx about a month ago on the internet for $90.00. Since then, the +9oz Trailtech flywheel was turned down on a laythe and 5oz was removed. After the flywheel was laythed by the machinist, the flywheel was sent out to be balanced using a dynamic "lazer" balancer and spun at 3500rpm. The machinist pointed out the magnetic location inside the flywheel to me. Is there a way for me to visual tell the difference from the first batch to the lastest batch of flywheels? BTW, i picked up the "new" +4oz flywheel last evening at the machinist and plan on uploading some pics maybe tonight so you could comment on their lightening process. my concern is the magnets and their lightening process.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
thanks

chad502ex.com

trailtech
02-23-2005, 06:28 PM
chad502ex,

The flywheel has a date code stamped into it. Get the date code and we can tell when it was built. All the new flywheels use bonded magnets.

To balance the TRX flywheel, you basically need the end off from a TRX crankshaft. If you grab it from the OD to balance it and the OD is not symmetric to the taper bore, you will not get a true balance.

BOONE450R
02-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Now where is this date code?:huh

trailtech
02-23-2005, 08:23 PM
The date code is on the inside of the magnet bore and on the bottom (flat) face.

BOONE450R
02-23-2005, 08:43 PM
And if there is not one? I dont see one on mine.:confused:

trailtech
02-23-2005, 08:59 PM
It should have a date stamp. Send it back to us. We will replace it.

HONDA CLINT
02-24-2005, 02:47 PM
what year stator and flywheel and cdi are yall using for this?

trailtech
02-24-2005, 02:56 PM
We make our own flywheels. You could by a Honda stator and machine it down and then have it balanced. You could use a 03,04 or 05 Stator and CDI. Most of the time, we use a rewound Honda stator to add a lighting circuit for the fan and lights.

chad502ex
02-24-2005, 04:22 PM
We make our own flywheels. You could by a Honda stator and machine it down and then have it balanced. You could use a 03,04 or 05 Stator and CDI. Most of the time, we use a rewound Honda stator to add a lighting circuit for the fan and lights.

here is a picture of the Trailtech +9oz lathed down to +4oz and rebalanced on 3500rpm laser balancer.

i cannot locate any number stamp on it.

suggestions?

chad502ex
02-24-2005, 04:23 PM
flywheel back

trailtech
02-24-2005, 04:29 PM
It is from the first run. Send it back, we will make you a new bonded +4 and balance it.

chad502ex
02-24-2005, 04:41 PM
It is from the first run. Send it back, we will make you a new bonded +4 and balance it.

thank you for the incredible customer service. I'll ship the flywheel out tommorrow.

thanks again
chad