PDA

View Full Version : 300EX chain/sproket info/help needed

05-03-2002, 06:33 PM
First off, hello to all. This will be my first post, so take it easy;) .

I finally decided to replace my chain, sprokets and axle bearings the other day. Axle bearings were easy, even though I have no service manual. It's the chain/sproket combo that I have a problem with. My quad is all stock in the back. I tried to install a 14T front and 39T rear with a 86 link chain. It didn't work. Chain is too short. Do I need a a 88 link chain? Would I then have to cut a link out? It seemed to be 2 links short. Any suggestions?

Also, after some searching, I've come to find out that I will not beneifit much with one tooth on both sprokets. Any truth to this? I'm looking for more top end. It has plenty of low end with a K&N and re-jet(40, I think). Should I get a 37T rear and go with my new 14T up front?

Also, I have Titax sprokets. They any good? I did notice the rear sproket is alot lighter. Can this be good?

Any info and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Jason

300exazzkikr
05-03-2002, 06:48 PM
Did you move the chain adjuster all the way to the top? The one on the swingarm.

05-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by 300exazzkikr
Did you move the chain adjuster all the way to the top? The one on the swingarm.

I assume that you are talking about the actual chain adjustment. The only way to adjust chain tension, unless you know somthing I don't(NOT trying to be smart)? This item you describe, is actually the carrier bearing unit. It rotates front to back off of center. Correct?

I'll also add that it is a DID o-ring 520.

Also, it is for sale. PM or email for more info. It's lived it's whole life on an island. Maybe 10 HRS use in past 3 years.

edit- yes, I adjusted it all the way forward.

05-03-2002, 07:57 PM
your local dealer should be able to tell you how long the chain needs to be for stock sprocket sizes. And don't forget when you cut your chain you're actually taking out 2 links. And countershaft sprocket changes are really noticable. Taller in the front=more speed. Taller in the rear=more bottom end.1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket is like going 2 or 3 teeth on the rear

PDunes300ex
05-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Im not an expert but stock gearing seams to be perfect for the 300ex. I tried a friends 300 with 14t in the front...stock in the back and the engine didn't seem to have enough to pull it. I actually noticed a big difference by adding an fmf powercore. It is designed for mid and top end gains...hence you lose low end (300 already has plenty to spare) and gain in the upper ends. Just my $.02

redryder300
05-03-2002, 10:31 PM
The 86 link chain is the correct size for stock sprocket sizes which are 13T & 38T.
The 88 tooth should work for your 14 / 39 combo.

DEAL
05-03-2002, 11:23 PM
I have a question
14-39 is about equal to stock gearing...
I would have atleast went with 14/38

05-04-2002, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by redryder300
The 86 link chain is the correct size for stock sprocket sizes which are 13T & 38T.
The 88 tooth should work for your 14 / 39 combo.

That's what I wanted to hear.

Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
14-39 is about equal to stock gearing...
I would have atleast went with 14/38.

That's what I was afraid of:(

I have a 14T, but to change the rear back to 38T is gonna take me about an hour. Don't get me wrong, I am very mechanically inclined. I'm just kinda PO'ed that I didn't do some research first. I thought that by going 14T/39T I would get more top end. I should have gone with 14T/37T(they make a 37T for the rear????).

So, maybe 2day I'll switch back to stock on the rear and use the 14T up front. I didn't notice much difference with 13T front and 39T rear. Maybe it was a tad quicker(acceleration). I still don't get it. How is it that a smaller rear make our quads go faster(top end)? Maybe I need to go back to skewl?:rolleyes: