PDA

View Full Version : KFX400 vs. 250R

BlackRaptor
02-20-2005, 10:25 AM
I ride at my local tracks, my home track all the time and some trails. I have a Kfx400 but I'm wondering if the 250r might be better for me. I though a 250r could handle being revved and ran harder than the KFX. Mine blew up so I'm wondering about my other options. So which one is better for MX and XC racing. If I get the 250r I will have extra money for suspension, which I need very badly. Should I go the 2 stroke route or should I save my money and get suspension mods for mine and just take extreme care of the motor. I don't race yet but I will and I ride like its a race all the time. My engine is only broke in after a 435 got put in, so nows the time to make my decision. and I have ridden both but It's been awhile since I rode the R
Thanks alot

2muchquad
02-20-2005, 12:08 PM
it all really comes down to your priorities.the kxf has that 4 stroke torque for xc racing but Bill Ballance has been able to win on the 2strokes for years.2strokes are cheaper to maintain though.when a 4stroke breaks,it can be almost anything,cam,valves,head,cylinder,etc.thats something to keep in mind as well.if you do get a 250r make sure the frame is solid as they are usually pretty beat by now.i like 2strokes depending on the mood im in,i also like the thumpers for my hillclimbing.both will do whatever you ask of them when set up properly.good luck

Toadz400
02-20-2005, 01:09 PM
I think you should keep the KFX as it already has the big bore and it'll end up being more reliable and easier to ride for both MX and XC racing, whichever one you want to race.

02-20-2005, 01:40 PM
you've already fixed your KFX so i would keep that..you would never get the resell value you prob. want out of it...how did your motor bl0w up?

beak7707
02-20-2005, 02:43 PM
I think if you are going to get into racing you better stick with the KFX. Nothing at all against your riding skills, but it is much more difficult to race a 2 stroke. Now somebody who knows how to ride one correctly can make them rip, but a not so good rider just gets wore out by them. Thats one reason these new 4 strokes are so fast anybody can get on them and make them go. However I love the 250r and would recommend it to anybody, if you find one in good shape it will make a great quad. I just think you would be happier racing the 4 stroke, I know I am now.

BlackRaptor
02-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Beak, well I know how to ride a 2 stroke I had a 1999 KX125 that I rode for over a year, and If I got into a kind of" 2 stroke rythumm" (I can't spell) then it was really smooth. So I know exactly what your talking about. Its just that it costs so much less to set up a 250r. I could sell my bike and prolly buy a 250r that is or almost race ready. And break even or I would have to pour in like 2 thousand in mine to make the suspension race worthy.

Iono I might just buy CR450F:rolleyes:

H400exRacr
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Its all on what you want.....i am a die hard honda fan and would love to get a 250r just to have a part of history but the kfx is deffinetly the best way to go in my opinion. Face it, 2 strokes are a dieing breed and have been wiped out of ever aspect of the power sports industry. Even weed wackers are going 4 stroke!!

Save your money and get a 250r to have along with your kfx. Its called atv of the century and the best atv ever made for a reason....and you know they will always be worth money.

esr250r86
08-10-2006, 04:12 PM
I would like to keep the kfx but it is not really a race setup bike. It was not really meant to race, it is very top heavy wich makes it harder to turn IMO. I like 250r's because its geometry is setup very nice for mx racing. But the kfx would probably rip in XC racing.I have a 250r and a 450r, I like them both.:D

Toadz400
08-10-2006, 04:30 PM
I would say go for whatever you're more comfortable on.

You can't really say that a KFX isn't meant to race (well, it may not meant to race but it sure as hell can) because look at Doug Gust. I think a Z/KFX400 is just as race capable as the 450's are.

CHEVYZ
08-10-2006, 05:08 PM
This thread is.......... OLD. Really, really old.

Toadz400
08-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
This thread is.......... OLD. Really, really old.

Holy crap it is. I just saw it come up in my User CP and saw that I had posted in it, never saw how long ago I posted though. Why would someone bring up this old of a thread on what someone was going to buy? Obviously they've probably already bought something and moved on with their lives...

frank mb
08-13-2006, 11:28 AM
I you can race a two stroke, it is the fastest. In pont de vaux, the 12hours race in europe, a 4 stroke has not won 1 time, maybe this year but 4 stroke's can't handle abuse, and you have to maintain often to keep it in clean condition, but that is my opinion.

krt400ex
08-13-2006, 08:36 PM
here's my opinion.

yesterday i rode a kfx with a wb R4 slip on, k&n filter, k&n powerlid, i-cat spark enhancer, and jet kit.

my 400ex with just a timing key feels faster. the kfx is not a good machine. they r less reliable than any honda ( 2 or 4 stroke), and i don't like Suzuki ( which makes the kfx). the kfx is alot more tippy than a 250r or 400ex. the 2-strokes r the king of motocross and i think u should get the 250r. it will work great for the woods too. i have rode with 250rs in the woods and the do as good as the 450s.

sorry to sound so......i don't know, i think u know know what i mean. this is just my opinion, u can do what u want.

Toadz400
08-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
here's my opinion.

yesterday i rode a kfx with a wb R4 slip on, k&n filter, k&n powerlid, i-cat spark enhancer, and jet kit.

my 400ex with just a timing key feels faster. the kfx is not a good machine. they r less reliable than any honda ( 2 or 4 stroke), and i don't like Suzuki ( which makes the kfx). the kfx is alot more tippy than a 250r or 400ex.

sorry to sound so......i don't know, i think u know know what i mean. this is just my opinion, u can do what u want.

Whew, thank God that was just an opinion.

krt400ex
08-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Whew, thank God that was just an opinion.

hahaha, i started thinking that i was sounding a little nasty and i didn't want to come accross that way