PDA

View Full Version : Rings

05-03-2002, 04:17 PM
I got new rings and i noticed one had a shiny edge and one has a dull edge. Does it matter which one goes in which groove?

rbm300ex
05-03-2002, 04:44 PM
I just went thru this myself last nite!!! After wondering myself I came to the realization that they are not the same size/thickness. My experience with an .80 over Wiseco piston & rings was that the thicker ring goes in the 2nd grove and the thinner ring goes in the top. The thicker one would'nt fit in the top grove and the thinner was too thin for the 2nd. So there really is'nt a way to put them on wrong. Just make sure that any markings on the rings face up. On mine, only the 2nd ring had a marking, the top had none so it can go either way.
What I want to know is, what is the easier way of getting the piston with rings into the cylinder:confused: when putting it all back together. I had about a half hour bout trying to get my fingers to squeeze the rings (like it says in Clymers) in enough to get'em into the cylinder. Finally I had to walk away. I was eventually able to get it together - carefully using 2 big screwdrivers to compress the rings, but there has GOT to be a better/easier way!!! ANYBODY?

Also, is it worth trying to get the old but still ok cam bearings off the old cam and onto the new WB all-around, or should I just order two new bearings from serviceHonda? ANYBODY?

Thanks----:)

05-03-2002, 04:55 PM
I usually squeeze the rings and get someone to slide the cylinder down. My cam bearings came right off .. no problem at all

Jbelknap21
05-03-2002, 05:32 PM
If you don't have the right tool you can use a worm drive hose clamp. Just get a clamp big enough to go around the piston and tighten it down over the rings compressing them into the ring grooves. Don't tighten it as tight as it will go , just enough to compress the rings. Then slide the cylinder down over the piston. The hose clamp will slide down the piston and guide the rings into the cylinder. A support for the piston made of a slotted piece of wood will help to keep everything straight. Make sure the ring grooves are in the right places and put a little oil on everything as you go. Hope this helps, Dirtdad.

rbm300ex
05-03-2002, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the replies.... Its together now & other than the rings into the cylinder, it went quick & smooth. I figured though for next time there must be a slick & easy way to do it.
My cam bearings won't come right off & seem to be on for good. I've had a small gear puller on them with a pretty moderate amount of force and nothing. The old cam is junk though, really worn bad so they may have attached themselves. I'm amazed that the bearings arn't shot too. I'm leaning towards just getting new bearings seeing that most the rest of the top end will be new now too! Amazing how bad the cam & rockers were worn on a 2000 300ex. The quad did'nt look beat, just probably not maintained at all.
I also found the main jet to be a 118. My thought is thats WAY too lean especially with a K&N filter and a FMF pipe. It was too lean, ran hot, and wore everything premature. Your thoughts??? Stock main should be a 122 and from what I've read of others running similar setups that it should probably be jetted right with about a 128main :confused:
YOUR THOUGHTS??????

Thanks---------

05-04-2002, 12:25 AM
I am guessing that is way to lean. If it is that lean then you must have some home made welds in there?! Given the fact that it overheated.

05-04-2002, 12:37 AM
Also, is it worth trying to get the old but still ok cam bearings off the old cam and onto the new WB all-around, or should I just order two new bearings from serviceHonda? ANYBODY?

I would think you could save some money if you just looked under bearings in the local yellow pages and called a few of the listed companies and give them the numbers off the bearings on your cam. Be sure to confirm if any have one or two seals and ask them for a bearing from Japan.

A big thing with the bearings from some of the normal ATV sources is that they are selling much cheaper chinese bearings and they dont have 1/8 the quality of the worst bearing from Japan.

rbm300ex
05-04-2002, 09:16 PM
Thanks for that suggestion!!:D
I'm going to call around on monday! Thanks again.

Leo
05-05-2002, 06:26 AM
If the bearings have #'s on them, swing by your local NAPA store, they should be able to get them in a quality brand, or you can just get them from service honda...

Leo