PDA

View Full Version : What do you people think about the aftermarket making quieter pipes?

speedracer350X
02-19-2005, 04:46 AM
I have no problem with loud pipes at race tracks or private land. But here where I live, we sometimes ride near houses in our community to get to the riding areas. Luckily, our neighbors are compassionate, and they kinda look the other way about riding on the roads. But 1 loud pipe, and the cops start crawling around 'cause somebody called them. Which now that I have a 7 month old daughter, I can see why. It scares the crap out of her when the one nieghbor kid flys by on his pied Yamaha 450. I even stepped to him and said,"look, I don't mind you ride by the house, 'cause I do to, but please be easy on the throttle".Anyways, I am interested in a pipe for my stock 400EX, sorta leaning towards a Sparks, but I heard they are very loud. All I ride is trails, near peoples homes, so I prefer it not to be very loud. And if I'm going to pay roughly $300 or so for a "quiet version", say an FMF Q, or a similiar slip-on, I'd rather go all out for $200 more and get a full type system. ANy suggestions?

02-19-2005, 06:26 AM
yea i agree... the stock exhuast on my 400 is louder than my 85 225 yamaha tri moto with NO exhaust! when i say no exhuast i mean none, no head pipe, no muffler, just straight exhuast.. so yea id like to find somthing quieter. also

Jesse

hondardr4life
02-19-2005, 06:56 AM
I agree that they should make them for people who want quiet exhausts. I personally hate quiet, but when I ride through areas where people live, I lay off the throttle so I don't make them mad. I hate those people who fly through areas with houses around with their throttles pinned. All they do is ruin it for us.

love4wheelin
02-19-2005, 06:58 AM
i dont have any houses where i live but i do like a quiet pipe so i went out and bought the pro circuit type 496 i should have it monday and put it on my 400 they say it should be quiet stock muffler is 89db and the 496 is 94db so when i get it on i will let u know how it is

ny300exrider
02-19-2005, 07:08 AM
the yoshimura is a nice pipe and for around 30 dollars they sell an endcap kit with a small, medium, and large endcap. the small endcap is very quiet, only alittle louder than stock but still gives some good power

rockbronco
02-19-2005, 09:09 AM
I have a white bros pro meg with 8discs in and if Im not in the throttle its not to loud at all. i think mainly its the jackasses that like to race by peoples houses and or camps that cause problems. if theycould just keep out of the throttle long enough to get by everyone then open it up it would be fine. unforgently comon sense is too much for some people.

muddy400EX
02-19-2005, 09:30 AM
i run an HMF with the spark arrestor and i aslo have to ride by houses every once in awhile. and if i just stay easy on the throttle its not that loud, but alot of companys are making pipes now where they have either quiet end caps or quiet cores so it shouldnt be a problem to find a semi-quiet pipe:) i personally like it loud as long as its a good loud

JOEX
02-19-2005, 09:26 PM
I'd like to see more 'quiet' pipes too. I'm thinking about the LTE system but they cost a few dollars:(

QuadRacr57
02-20-2005, 02:41 PM
I bought a FMF Q a while ago, like 1 year ago, and I really like it. Once it's broken in its quiet but when you hit the gas real hard it has a throaty sound to it and its kinda loud but not too loud. I really like it and the sound is nice :devil: . Just my two cents.

-Mike:chinese:

tdsongster
02-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Everyone is all worried about a loud quad. There are Harley riders running open pipes that are loud as hell at all hours of the day and night. Why don't the cops bust them?

bansheex
02-20-2005, 03:12 PM
How much louder than stock is the Hmf with quiet core? I want to buy one but don't want to piss off the neighbors. I agree about the Harleys, bunch of f@gs that want to make more noise to draw attention to their scrap.

JOEX
02-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by tdsongster
Everyone is all worried about a loud quad. There are Harley riders running open pipes that are loud as hell at all hours of the day and night. Why don't the cops bust them?
I bet if you go to some Harley forums you'll hear about the same sound issues we hear about regarding ATV's. I also belive that the Harley crowd gets a bit more respect than the ATV crowd.

tdsongster
02-20-2005, 06:50 PM
The harley riders do get more respect, but can't for the life of me figure out why? They are old, fat, sedentary and drive around residential areas making lots of noise? WTF...

Hon300ex
02-20-2005, 06:54 PM
wtf are u talkin about? i kno alot of bikers that are in the 30 and not fat. they arent all harley riders. and the cops do yell at them. its illegal to have to have your pipes if there to loud. so just be quiet if you dont know what your talking about.

JOEX
02-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by tdsongster
The harley riders do get more respect, but can't for the life of me figure out why? They are old, fat, sedentary and drive around residential areas making lots of noise? WTF...
They have the intimidation and bad boy image factor behind them. Who's going to tell the stereotypical Harley rider to keep it quiet? I think that will fade in the near future, alot of early retirees have been purchasing Harleys now.