PDA

View Full Version : easy way to stiffen shocks??

hoser 400ex
02-18-2005, 09:59 PM
whats the easiest way to stiffen up my bro's works shocks he got. he got them cheap but are a little soft yet. they are trple rate w/o rezzy's.
any help would be appreciated....:devil:

K_Fulk
02-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Tighten down the preload ring on top of the top spring.

hoser 400ex
02-19-2005, 07:34 AM
i thought thats wat i did to mine but couldnt remember for sure. thanks fo the help K_fulk

blue416ex
02-21-2005, 01:45 PM
do what k_fulk said to do ^^^:D

02-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Actually, the preload only is for setting your ride height although it does effect the initial spring rate. Adding Crossover height is the biggest external change you can do to your shocks. I would try adding about 1/2" to the middle spring or if they are dual rate then the top spring. If that doesn't do it you need to call Works and ask them what spring rate you should be running for your application. If you don't know what spring rate you currently have then give me a call and I can tell you with a few simple measurements. http://www.****techatv.com

TBD
02-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ab****
Actually, the preload only is for setting your ride height although it does effect the initial spring rate. Adding Crossover height is the biggest external change you can do to your shocks. I would try adding about 1/2" to the middle spring or if they are dual rate then the top spring. If that doesn't do it you need to call Works and ask them what spring rate you should be running for your application. If you don't know what spring rate you currently have then give me a call and I can tell you with a few simple measurements. http://www.****techatv.com I'm a little confused with your statement that by moving the spring is actually ride hieght adjustment. Is there a chance you could explain how it's ride hieght adjustment and not preload.
This is what I understand. By lowering the clip you have shortnend the spring. By doing that you have increased the spring rate hence the term preload. Abviouslly you are also changing the static hieght of the quad. I agree with you about the crossovers. That would be the first place to start as long as you have the static hieght that you want.
Hoser400ex, is the shock to soft all the way through the travel? Is the low speed good and the high speed off. More info would be good.