PDA

View Full Version : Best Exhaust ?

ZEEMAN
02-18-2005, 07:08 PM
I have a friend who has a 400 EX with a White Bros. slip on. He is wanting to buy a complete exhaust system and wanted me to check with you guys to see which system would be the one to buy. Which one has the most power for the money? Thanks!

LazeR
02-18-2005, 07:17 PM
HMF Hands Down! :D

mike02ex
02-18-2005, 08:53 PM
you got it man!HMF!

LazeR
02-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by mike02ex
you got it man!HMF!

I don't think i have ever heard a complaint about HMF!

ZSK
02-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Depends on what his riding/racing conditions are. I'd suggest an LRD or Curtis Sparks X4. My HMF was nice but wasn't all that it was bragged up to be.

450Racer
02-19-2005, 12:08 PM
IMO Big Gun all the way. i was real sketchy at first cause they're not a very popular brand and don't back the riders much, haven't heard much about them...

i got a sponsorship through them so i figured what the heck do i have to lose? i had an HMF Bill Balance Series slip on which had amazing low end and good mid but the top end felt like my stock 400ex.

i got the Big Gun full system EvoX series with the 94db vortex insert (for my practice track vs. neighbors). i have a Janssen +1.25" swingarm and with the HMF pipe i could NOT wheelie AT ALL, even if i popped the clutch in 2nd gear and pulled back, only my 225 pound dad could get the front end up and he was really trying....i pulled up my driveway and punched it and the front wheels came right off the ground and didn't touch down till i shifted into 3rd...so i took it up the street from 1st gear and it wheelied the whole way through 1,2,3, and 4th they came down but it was pulling so hard, even 5th had tons of power on the top end with a 14/38 stock gearing. this pipe sounds awesome too! has a real low grunt but a mean top end, i just love it. Big Gun pipes are midrange, good overrev, and real good low. i reccomend them to everyone!

the quiet core sounds just a bit louder than stock but more of a deeper tone. i was shocked when i put it in, it sounds like a crotch rocket on the top end but i love it and Big Gun claims you do not lose horsepower when using the insert. the new pipe is ceramic coating on the inside and outer of the pipe. it's all stainless steel, resist rusting. it has a new look too, it's a flat gray which looks really cool and a new red anodized end cap. you should check them out at www.biggunexhaust.com

Toadz400
02-19-2005, 12:33 PM
I have a Big Gun slip-on and I personally think it is the best out of all the pipes I've ridden on for low end and mid range power. Top end it doesn't seem to improve very much, but I think that's because it's just a slip-on and the aftermarket header would help a lot more. If you are looking for a good low-mid range pipe, I'd say go for Big Gun...it has an awesome sound to it, beautiful in my ears and I'm sure with a quiet insert it won't annoy the hell out of any neighbors too much.

nosliw
02-19-2005, 01:12 PM
one thing about hmf is to put some antisieze or something on the end cap allen bolts. i had to replace them with stupid looking flat heads because they rounded right off.

but i have no complaints.

cals400ex
02-20-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
Depends on what his riding/racing conditions are. I'd suggest an LRD or Curtis Sparks X4. My HMF was nice but wasn't all that it was bragged up to be.

hmmm.... my buddies full hmf seems to be great. i honestly haven't came across a slip on that satisfies me. i don't think it is worth wasting your money but that is my opinion. my buddies x-4 seems nice too. it doesn't rev near as high as my x-6, but it makes good power. to tell you the truth, i would NOT get another x-6.

2muchquad
02-20-2005, 09:32 AM
it all depends on what your buddy wants from his motor.theres no such thing as "the best" pipe.very few pipesmake a whole lot of power they just merely shift it around in the rpm range.sure just about any aftermarket pipe out performs stock as they are pretty restrictive.i personally have had good luck with the white Bros. Eseries.i run this on my yz450mx bike.the FMF is a good one as well for all around riding

ZSK
02-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
hmmm.... my buddies full hmf seems to be great. i honestly haven't came across a slip on that satisfies me. i don't think it is worth wasting your money but that is my opinion. my buddies x-4 seems nice too. it doesn't rev near as high as my x-6, but it makes good power. to tell you the truth, i would NOT get another x-6.

It depends on the set up of the engine with the Sparks exhausts. The X-4 is designed for a stock sized engine or close to it. The X-6 is made to flow better for the larger diplacements of the EX engines. The HMF was nice, good sound and power gain, but I didn't think that it was up to what I had heard about it. I get more power and better powerspread with my LRD. My friend's X-4 is the same.

02-20-2005, 10:46 AM
i wanted a big gun for my 450r bur they don't have slip-on's for it and they were too expensies so I just got a slipon HMF anodized red and its sweet...

woodside83
02-20-2005, 02:46 PM
bill ballance pipe from hmf is awsome the mid and high is great if you leave the TMC core out and if you want a great trail or xc racing pipe just pop it back in and you are ready to race

cals400ex
02-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
It depends on the set up of the engine with the Sparks exhausts. The X-4 is designed for a stock sized engine or close to it. The X-6 is made to flow better for the larger diplacements of the EX engines. The HMF was nice, good sound and power gain, but I didn't think that it was up to what I had heard about it. I get more power and better powerspread with my LRD. My friend's X-4 is the same.

i run a 11:1 426, fcr 40, agressive port job with stock valves, x-6, etc. i have a few other mods but these are the most important. it seems as if my bike is definately more responsive in the first few gears over the HMF and the x-4, but the power fades away in the upper gears. i don't know but i may put my bike on a dyno and bring the x-4 and hmf with me for comparison. we will see.