PDA

View Full Version : polishing question

JR3
02-18-2005, 06:42 PM
can u polish a stock heat shiled

blue416ex
02-18-2005, 08:08 PM
as long as its aluminum you would have no problem try using a wire wheel to get the paint off it then go and polish away i got lazy on the polish part on my exhaust and just wire wheeled it and it looks pretty good it gave it a brushed aluminum look

sampleez
02-18-2005, 10:55 PM
does anyone know about polishing stainless or magnesium. i know about aluminum, but just wondering if the same methods apply for those

big-guy
02-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Stainless should be basically the same, but 100 times the labor.

don't know that I woud bother polishing magnesium, it seems to oxidize overnight anyway.

Astars_250r
02-19-2005, 01:40 AM
SS is a pain in the @ss to polish but after it's done you don't have to up keep it like aluminum. Magnesium don't waste your time as like big-guy said it will look like crap the next day if not the day after that.
If you want to polish something that is painted don't wire brush it and that will mark up the surface and make more work to polish.Use paint stripper.
I do know a little about this subject check out my nice bolt-ons post in the open forum.

Originally posted by sampleez
does anyone know about polishing stainless or magnesium. i know about aluminum, but just wondering if the same methods apply for those

JR3
02-19-2005, 07:04 PM
I started today but not on the heat shiled im just trying the throttle cover im sanding off all the black powder coat on it. But i dont how to get the black off between the letters HONDA. but ill figure it out i think ill just use my friends dremel. Ill put pics up wen im done.

ny300exrider
02-19-2005, 07:20 PM
paint stripper^

woodside83
02-20-2005, 02:48 PM
wenall is a great polish for any type of metal

sampleez
02-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Ahh crap! i already polished the clutch cover, which is magnesium. it looks awesome now, but i guess i'll just pc it after it starts lookin bad.

and with the SS, about how long do you think it would take to do a pipe. i did my hmf on my old 400, and it took quite a while. so you polish it just like aluminum, but takes longer? why does it take so much longer

Astars_250r
02-21-2005, 04:15 PM
The reason SS takes longer is that it's a harder metal and that takes longer to get the fine lines, marks etc, etc out of it. When I polish SS I use the spiral rapped buffing wheel with the black compound then go to a softer wheel and green compound, that works for me. I seam to take longer to polish my stuff as I don't like any makes, line or haze on my parts. And if it's a flat surface I wet block sand it so it stays flat.

Originally posted by sampleez
Ahh crap! i already polished the clutch cover, which is magnesium. it looks awesome now, but i guess i'll just pc it after it starts lookin bad.

and with the SS, about how long do you think it would take to do a pipe. i did my hmf on my old 400, and it took quite a while. so you polish it just like aluminum, but takes longer? why does it take so much longer