PDA

View Full Version : 05' z/kfx 400 frame

BLAZE1
02-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Well tommorrow I am going to pick up my new White/Blue z400!

I know they changed the frame for 05' but is it enough.:errm: I mean for a person who rides mostly trails but does a little MX and goes to Oregon/Glamis about twice a year do I need to worry about tearin' my brand new bike apart to weld the gussets in or could it wait. I know the easiest answer is just to go ahead with it but is it really neccesary? I would hate to tear down a brand new bike if I don't have to, besides have you seen the color of the frame on the blue and white Z's!!!

Eventually I will do it am just wondering on the urgency!! Should I get it done and over with now or wait a while and do my LT shocks, +2 a-arms, and gusset/PC at the same time, when I am really ready to rip!!

JDiablo
02-18-2005, 03:39 PM
you should do it when everything is clean :devil:

BLAZE1
02-18-2005, 03:53 PM
I didn't even think about it like that!

One less step to the teardown method!! LOL

JDiablo
02-18-2005, 03:58 PM
haha yea i usually like working on a clean quad,i hate when its dirty

redrunner
02-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Well if you are not "airing it out" too much I have yet to here of an 05 to fail yet. I have compared mine to others and they have added some gusseting in the critical areas, mostly top shock mounts. I know I will not be doing it until I have too. I don't ride hard enough to crack it. If you are planning a tear down a powder do it later, it will be clean. check over at Z400central, like I said I haven't heard of it yet.

BLAZE1
02-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks for your responses!

Well the Z is awesome. I picked it up on fri. after work and I am impressed. Right out of the box it is a very nice machine! I am going to wait on the PC/Gusset as it seems very strong and I am not planning on hitting any MX tracks any time soon. I am going to, rock it stock, for a little while then exhaust, jet kit, and intake are the first mods to come!

I am going to gloat a little...so if you do not like suzuki then do not read this.

I could not be touched this weekend, although there were no 450's there (OHV park), I smoked everyone else out there...and I was taking it easy because my machine is brand new!

I am already starting a list....

1 banshee
1 raptor 350
1 400ex(an older one...2000/2001)
? utility quads (1 bruin and 1 bombardier for sure)
Not very impressive, but it is a start!

I am glad I bought the zook! I don't think any other quad available is worth the price. Oh and the white and blue is a great color!:devil:

z03n05
03-05-2005, 05:43 AM
I have an 03 with an 04 frame and I race MX. I understand how you hate to disassemble your new bike to get it gusseted and pc'd, but if you plan on racing, I would do it. I have fixed my frame as needed, and I have gone back to my welder 5 times getting different areas fix. If I had known this, I would have stripped it and gusseted from day one. Hope you enjoy your new ride and yes, that blue and white model is beautiful. I wish it would have been available in 03!

BLAZE1
03-07-2005, 09:56 AM
I wasn't gonna tell anyone yet, but I have already started the tear down. This quad is less thatn a month old and I am ripping it apart to PC and Gusset the frame. After the second week I was already hitting decent doubles and decided to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the input and I will let you guys know how it turns out.

also - I work at a sheetmetal shop so could I just have one of these welders make a gusset kit and weld it on or should I take it to an auto body shop or what??