PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lake Sound Testing

400ex Magnum
05-03-2002, 10:50 AM
I am thinking about planning our annual Silver Lake trip and wondered if anybody had been up there since the sound testing began. I am running a stock engine 400ex with a Pro Circuit T-4 pipe and the stock airfilter. I doubt I can pass without the quiet core insert (which I have), but would rather run without it. If I go, I also plan on taking the stock muffler, but would be really pissed if I had to put it on to get in (too far to drive to not ride). What are people getting in with and what are the not allowing? Are the rangers being jerks about the whole thing or just trying to stop the obvious offenders?

skull
05-06-2002, 01:11 AM
my buddys were up there a couple weeks ago, and they said they're being pretty cool. they're not sticking (too strickly) to the 94db law. from what I was told, as long as your under 100db you should be okay. seems like they're really cracking down on spark arresters.
I got the T4 on my 300ex and it rated at 97db. I also got the quite core, if I have to use it, I'll probably pull it out once I'm inside. they'll do one check on you, then put a wristband type thing on your front bumper when you pass.
do you still have your airbox lid on?
if not, you can try putting it back on, that will cut the noise down a little.
I don't know what the 400ex rates at with a T4, I've heard a few different contradicting numbers. everything from 95-105db.

Bart
05-06-2002, 07:44 AM
I was at Silver Lake this past weekend. The place was packed on Sat.

Definitely NEED a spark arrester! No exceptions.

I did not see them test anyone for sound. I heard that they would do random sound testing. They do visually check each muffler. I am guesing (and it's only a guess) that they now have a good idea of what mufflers are too loud and only test those quads.

I did hear that they were watching the mufflers so closely that they let a quad pass through the check point without a flag. Really bright. Let's focus on the noise which won't hurt anyone and let unsafe quads pass right through.

/Fred

400ex Magnum
05-06-2002, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the update guys. I plan on trying to run the t-4 with only the spark arrestor and I will adjust according to the requirements of the park. I have the quiet core insert if need and that should get me in. Like Skull said, it is easy to change once you are in the park.

Red Rooster
05-06-2002, 05:50 PM
We went up opening day(apr 1). All they were checking was s/a. There was one dirtbike with a very loud exhaust that they pulled aside at the gate, but we didn't wait around to see what happened.

05-15-2002, 08:40 AM
I have a 99 300ex with a fmfpower core muffler. will I be able to pass the sound test at silver lake.

exriderdude
05-15-2002, 11:00 AM
I have a 99 300ex with a fmfpower core muffler. will I be able to pass the sound test at silver lake.

ya, probably:)

SLB400EX
05-15-2002, 06:50 PM
Hey Magnum...are you louder than me?? I never really paid attention when we've ridden together. I know buckeye's pipe is louder than mine. ;)
I'd love to go to the dunes but I'm afraid my pipe is tooo loud. I think Rob would be Ok(you agree??)...I really worry about mine tho. I hate the thought of putting my stock pipe back on. :(
Later..Sher

400ex Magnum
05-16-2002, 10:51 AM
Sher

Glad to see you are roaming the net again :D . I think my Pro Circuit is louder than your silencer (can't remember what you are running FMF ?). I am just a little louder than Jeff is. I can put the quiet core insert in and reduce the bark of it a little. I also thought about stuffing some packing in there to make it quieter. If you guys come up to Silver Lake, we will find a way to get you in under the sound level. I think they are going to be somewhat lienent as long as you are close. Come up to Silver Lake, you will not be disappointed, and the best thing about it, no mud to clean up.

SLB400EX
05-16-2002, 06:10 PM
If your a tad louder than Jeff, I know your louder than I am.
I am running the MegaMax silencer.
I'd like to try and get up to the dunes sooner or later. I've heard stories, watched vidoes and seen countless pics..how can a place like that NOT be fun? :D
Thanks Jim..
Sher