PDA

View Full Version : predator vs. arctic cat dvx ?

Roei
02-18-2005, 09:46 AM
I want to buy one of these quad's which one is the best ???

Thank's Roy.

QuadJunkies
02-18-2005, 10:06 AM
that all depends on preference...They are bothl great quads. I race with people on all those machines and own a Predator they each have good about both of them...

02-18-2005, 12:24 PM
the DVX

Bender
02-21-2005, 03:44 PM
I don't know about the DVX, they upgraded the Predator quite a bit this year. Better ergo's, TLD edition gets a close ratio gearbox, Maxxis tires,heavy duty axle, stronger frame, braided steel lines, lighter long travel shocks and a-arms and reverse, new cool looking colors. Plus it has gobs more power than a Z400 or it's clones. It got a good review in ATVSPORT. The Predator is getting better every year. I would get a Predator or a 450R myself.

DVXRULES
02-21-2005, 07:12 PM
I prefer the DVX over the Predator. My DVX technically is a 434, with FCR (41) - Hot Cams - Yoshi System - +2 Houser A-Arms, Rekluse Clutch, etc. It is much lighter than the Predator. The 434 kits are suppose to run with the 450's, don't know for a fact. Haven't had the opportunity to run straight out with the 450's and Preddy which my kids own a few of each, but they all like the feel of the DVX. Flat tracking, the girls like the Preddys, and the boys like the 450Rs, but motocrossing they like the 450Rs. I tried the Predator on the motocross but definitely like the DVX for it and I wouldn't trade my DVX for anyother quad flat tracking either. As you can tell, I'm DVX all the way. Remember, these can be built to the hilt and you've already got the advantage weight wise.

300ex73
02-22-2005, 05:51 AM
They're both pretty good, but don't be fooled into buying the TLE Predator thinking it has all that was mentioned. The Predator is a good ride, but the TLE HAS ONLY better shocks, different tires, a new color of plastic with some fancy graphics, and a so-called "close ratio" tranny. I've read that the standard Predator can actually do better acceleration wise than the TLE. From my understanding, the gaps between gears from 2nd to 5th is wider on the TLE than the standard. So really, you're paying an extra $300 for a Preddy that handles better, looks a little better, but doesn't accelerate as well (although this is something a simple sprocket swap couldn't help).

As for the DVX, yes it is a clone of the Suzuki Z400, with different body plastic. I'd have to say that if I were looking into one of these, I would ask other owners (Z400, KFX400, or DVX400) what their impression of these machines is. I can say, that the Z400's are prone to cracking frames, and that the timing chains need replaced rather often. Also, be careful, as the flywheel bolts tend to back out or break, and repairs if this happens, can exceed $1,000. However, I do like how the Z400's handle, and the power is incredible. I have one right now (For Sale), and by just being agressive on the throttle it'll bring the front end up without even touching the clutch.

Which one would I recommend? From a reliability standpoint, I'd say the Preddy hands down. From the having fun standpoint, it'd definitely be the DVX.

Flynbryan19
02-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Having been able to ride/own both I can say that I prefer my pred. The Z is a great trail quad, and is VERY plush on roots/rocks, but I find my pred works better at race pace in stock form. Granted if you want to spend the coin you can make anything handle great, but stock for stock I take the pred over the Z.

As for the "supposed" close ratio tranny...... :rolleyes: You haven't ridden one or talked to someone that actually owns one have you? There are several riders on Predatorowners.com Hit them up and see how they feel about the acceleration. Every owner of a TLD I've talked to has loved it. Also......which model is Smiley riding.....? Thats right. A tld. ;) And those "better shocks" that you seemed so candid about make a BIG difference in the handling of the quad. Horsepower is nothing without handling and if I can get better looks, a close ratio tranny, AND better shocks for the small price difference I jump at that no problem! I'm just too broke to buy an 05' so I'm stuck with my 03'. :blah:

Bender
02-22-2005, 07:52 AM
300ex73 if you think the z400/kfx/dvx has incredible power, I guess thats just your opinion. But the Predator has much more power than the Z400. I've ridden both many times. The weight issue is not that big of a deal, especially when you compare the wet weight. Then it's only around 40 lbs. difference, hardly noticeable at all when ridiing, especially with the extra 50cc.(that you would need a big bore kit $$$ to get close to the power of a stock Predator or 450). The added weight stems from the fact that the Predator comes with heavy duty wheels, woods tires,Axle,braided lines,etc.. as stated before. All stuff that would add weight to the Z400 if suzuki choose to do the same. The predator isn't as easy to wheelie as the Z400, but thats a good thing for racing/aggressive trail riding. The TLD edition has aluminium(sp) bodied FOX shocks wich are of much better quality than the DVX and it's clones. Plus you can upgrade to Ohlins shocks through polaris. And the TLD transmission is not for every one, it's set up for XC. If you ride wide open fire roads, fields, desert/baja etc..of course you wouldn't like it,It's for tight woods.Thats why they make 2 models to choose from(much like ATK/CANNONDALE). The TLD Pred is an XC model.
Yes I agree the Z400 handles great, it should it's pretty much a copy of one of the best handling quads(the 400EX).
The z400 is a sport quad that can be turned into a performance quad with many mods, the Predator starts life as a performance quad much like the 450r,YFZ,250R. It's apples and oranges and brand loyalty really. I've always ridden Honda's myself. I'm a 250R guy at heart, But i must say Predators are starting to get serious and the Z400 days are numbered once Suzuki brings out a 450 class quad, no one will care about it.