PDA

View Full Version : Bent Tie Rod?

YZFER
02-18-2005, 08:45 AM
The other day while riding i hit a washout and bent my stock tie rod. Before replacing it i counted the threads and installed the new one. Now whenmy bars are strait my wheels are pointing left a little bit. Is it possible the steering stem is bent? Ive heard the stock ones are soft and i hit the washout pretty hard. Oh and i have pro taper bars so i know the bars arent bent.

yfz450xc
02-18-2005, 12:20 PM
I have twisted the bottom splines of my stem 2 weeks ago but I hit a tree pretty hard , make sure your alignment is correct and equal amount threads on both sides of tie rod they are a pain to get started equal . to check your stem take off the bottom bolt and upper portion of stem and slide out you should be able to look at the splines once the stem exits the bottom bushing and look to see if they are all straight in a line or not, to retorque stem foot lbs is 17 lbs fro the top bushing and I do 75-80 lbs for bottom, the Yamaha service manual for torque specs is wrong for the bottom they say 120 or 110 but it is not that ONLY 75-80 lbs on the bottom.
That was more of a answer than you probably wanted though huh:D

YZFER
02-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the help

02-09-2006, 05:23 PM
who knows what happened but it sounds like it sucks