PDA

View Full Version : another truck exaust question

Ex'In_Alberta
02-17-2005, 09:58 PM
k now for god sakes dont let this start a lifted/lowrider battle.....but i'm wonderin about dual strait pipes on my 4.3L sonoma and the effect they'll have on performance and what will it do to the sensors and engine troubles from it, anyone have input weather its from a full size or a small truck. i've heard i have to get different set of o2 sensors, anything else anyone can tell me about it

nosliw
02-17-2005, 10:04 PM
i know on my truck that if i even remove the cat it'll set off codes. you can usually take it somewhere and they'll reflash it even if it doesnt set off the ses light.

i've heard of people losing low end torque when going to a dual set up but they went with a larger diameter pipe. are you staying same dia just duals or what?

Aceman
02-17-2005, 10:49 PM
When I bought my Mustang it had a custom exhaust that set the check engine light off. Took it to the dealer and said something about not creating enough backpressure. They said I needed to buy a little gadget that splices in front of the oxygen sensors to keep the error codes from popping up. Worked like a charm, I think I found it on the internet by searching google. It was around 30 bucks also.

dn1911
02-17-2005, 11:22 PM
4.3 and dual strait pipes? gonna sound like chit. no offense, i have had some buddies try this and it sounds horrible. if you want a good exhaust go to one of the large manufactures (flowmaster, Gibbson, etc.) for a system that is designed to give better flow and a good sound. they match mufflers (size, deminsion, flow) to the characteristics of the engine. this will provide you with a better performing exhaust and something that sounds good also.

HiperEX
02-17-2005, 11:24 PM
after having a 4.3 s10 i tried straight pipe, sounded like poo and even lost power because no back pressure i looked on some s10 web sites and they stated that 4.3 engines need backpressure to keep there performance if you want a exhaust that sounds good on your truck i would go with a ravin herd them on one sound nice and throaty . also true duals on a 4.3 is way overkill your better off gettin a single in dual out muffler

quadrcr161
02-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by dn1911
4.3 and dual strait pipes? gonna sound like chit. no offense, i have had some buddies try this and it sounds horrible. if you want a good exhaust go to one of the large manufactures (flowmaster, Gibbson, etc.) for a system that is designed to give better flow and a good sound. they match mufflers (size, deminsion, flow) to the characteristics of the engine. this will provide you with a better performing exhaust and something that sounds good also.

yep i agree, no performance and sound like crap, i would go with a single exhaust gibson set up.

Alberta_Qaudin
02-18-2005, 09:48 AM
thats kewl i was mainly wondering because i saw one go by the other day with dual strait out the back and sounded prety good IMO......and another question, and one heard of the GMC sonoma thunder ss, or is this someones after market shiet, cause it had to have a V8 they way it was rumblin

K_Fulk
02-18-2005, 12:52 PM
I would just get an aftermarket catback system.

Bush0102
02-18-2005, 01:30 PM
gibson single.

bulkdriverlp
02-18-2005, 03:13 PM
leave the cats on there and put a y in the pipe and run fake duals. if you wanna go faster get a bigger motor.lol

Got nads?
02-18-2005, 07:00 PM
I've heard straight pipes on a 4.3L and it didn't sound too good. A gibson or something like that would probably sound better. I put a Ravin' system on truck, and it sounds really good, but it also a V8. Just my opinion but Straight pipes are meant for the Reserve:devil:

WhiteBros400ex
02-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Yea i put stright pipes on my ranger and it sounded like a 2 stroke dirt bike that needed some help lol, i say you go with the big compaines also like (flow master,gibson and what not) it will sound alot better and perform alot better.