PDA

View Full Version : how to ride a long wheelie

rubiowner01
02-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Can someone give me some tips on riding long wheelies. Whenever I try to ride one I will either not be able to keep it in the air, or I will go too far back and drag the grab bar. How fast should I be going, what gear. Anything I should tweak on the bike like gearing or tire pressure. Please give me some hints, because I cant seem to ride a wheelie longer than like 10 feet. Thanks... By the way the bike is a 416ex if that helps...

Ridin' Jesse
02-18-2005, 09:14 AM
If your doing it on a road tire pressure may matter a little because the road isnt 100% flat, so u may have to mess with that...plus if you start to go back far and are gonna hit your grab bar, you can tap the brake LIGHTLY, and it brings the front back down...dont slam on the brake unless you want to get hurt tho :D

CAMPRO
02-19-2005, 07:59 PM
be smooth. practice equals smooth.

kfxrider35
02-20-2005, 11:22 AM
yea dude i have a kfx so i get in 2nd and get it up and get it where it feels right and start shifting and the key is balance if you start going back down give it a lil more throttle and if you go too far back jus tap the rear brake

standardryder
02-20-2005, 08:21 PM
i usually do wheelies in 1st gear, nice and slow. i stop dead, rev it a little then pop the clutch and balance it. it really helps when you keep your foot over the brake incase you go to far. i just feather the throttle to keep it balanced and i can just about go as far as i want. hope that helps.

300extreme#8
02-21-2005, 03:07 PM
can't be taught,especial on here,u just gotta put in in a comfortable gear and pop a wheelie and find ur balance point,try moving around on teh seat some it used to help me when i used to do stuff like that on my old 300ex

TRblaster199
02-21-2005, 07:51 PM
practice..i have had my quad only since september of 04 and i just practiced and practiced and now im not too bad at them see for yourself at www.freewebs.com/newjerseyatv this is all will my stock blaster. I got mods for it and now it is so much better and i can ride them longer too.

Jekyl_22
02-22-2005, 02:15 AM
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.... oh yeah you need to practice. Just start doing them whenever you go riding. If you are cruising trails... try doing wheelies on the straight stretches. Keep at it and you will get better soon.

Griff
02-22-2005, 10:06 AM
The first key is to definetly find the bikes balance point, this will vary with the bikes speed, and wind speed. There are 2 things to think about when the front end comes up to high. If the front end starts to rise, but at a slower steady pace, there is no need to tap the brake, could cause it to drop to rapid, so instead try lighty lefting off the gas just enough to drop to a comfortable level. Takes a bit of practice. if the front end is rising really quick you can tap the brake, just a little though. i know from practice. (doin 60 mph across a field, wind caught the front end, slammed it to the rear bar, i hit the brake to hard and slammed my chest into the handlebars.) So with some practice u will be able to wheelie from a dead stop, all the way through the gears to top speed.

Griff
02-22-2005, 10:14 AM
The first key is to definetly find the bikes balance point, this will vary with the bikes speed, and wind speed. There are 2 things to think about when the front end comes up to high. If the front end starts to rise, but at a slower steady pace, there is no need to tap the brake, could cause it to drop to rapid, so instead try lighty lefting off the gas just enough to drop to a comfortable level. Takes a bit of practice. if the front end is rising really quick you can tap the brake, just a little though. i know from practice. (doin 60 mph across a field, wind caught the front end, slammed it to the rear bar, i hit the brake to hard and slammed my chest into the handlebars.) So with some practice u will be able to wheelie from a dead stop, all the way through the gears to top speed.

pharit
02-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Well with a 400ex you should be able to do it really easy i think they are one of the easiest fourwheelers to find a wheelie on

redexrider4290
02-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Well i dont have a 400ex but i do have a 250 i just put it in any gear beetween 1st and 3rd in firdt i just sit down and tap the gas and keep taping it as needed in 3rd i get going a while then stand up ,pull up on the bars, and hit the gas pretty hard just keep hitting the gas and when you get revd pretty good i just shift up int othe next gear and i can ride as long as i want but this stuff could be different on a 400 idk

quadrider00
03-02-2005, 12:54 PM
do u use the clutch wen shifting on a wheelie??

Nausty
03-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by quadrider00
do u use the clutch wen shifting on a wheelie??

nope its possible but I just powershift her.

400ex's are tough as hell!

NacsMXer
03-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Ever since I got ZPS shocks, it made it very difficult to ride a wheelie, even with a stock swingarm. I can throttle them up fine but by the time it gets up there, it's already revved out. The rear end just squats and the front end soaks up what "would be" a wheelie if I had stock shocks on there. I guess that is a good thing for MX because it keeps the wheels planted where they need to be, but it's still very frustrating for me.

I probably need much more practice but my exhaust sticks out past the grab bar, and this hinders my ability towards a trial and error approach to learning. Has anybody else noticed this difficulty with ZPS shocks?

04fourhunjex
03-05-2005, 09:47 PM
:devil: :devil: :devil: lol funny looking face...?? so yea wheelies whell *ehem* yea i can wheelie for liek 19 miles turns and all....*ehem* bull ony so yea wheelies are mad easy on my 400 ive gotten into 5th a few times on a nice straight away goin a good 45 or 55 suttin but the only prob i run into...not litteraly..but i do hat it when i have to stop due to different rear tire pressures... drifting off to the side of the road truly pisses me off...so i just fix it then continue wheelieing

duke416ex
03-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Like they said practice, slower wheelies are easier to ride, but faster ones are easier to screw up on, crash wise. I learned coming up in second then just ridding them out. I can go long in 3rd or in 5th, just depends on what speed I want. Sometimes it is easier to learn standing up or even putting your foot on the grab bar. Just keep the other foot close to the brake, once you learn a normal wheelie, the fun starts, tank wheelies, over the bar, side to side, etc. You can steer in a wheelie if your tires aren't to stiff, just lean to the side you want to go.

Joe400ex
03-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Jekyl_22
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.... oh yeah you need to practice. Just start doing them whenever you go riding. If you are cruising trails... try doing wheelies on the straight stretches. Keep at it and you will get better soon.

thast all it takes man i can hold a whellie for so long but it took patiance and practice now i can do wheelies in 4th full throtle but it wasnt easy getting there:devil:

RYDER
03-27-2005, 09:59 PM
what is the longest wheelie on an quad that anyone has herd of. I have ridden one right at 17 miles on asphalt, across hills and around curves.
The easyest way to ride on is to get up to about 4th gear and put your left foot back with your right over the break and keep it about half throttle and have about 2 1/2 pounds of air in your tires and make sure it perfect or it wont go as planned.

SethSPST
03-29-2005, 09:38 AM
I've gone about 3 feet before. If you want to learn how to wheelie, check out some CVBoyz vids.

Seth

duke416ex
03-30-2005, 02:34 PM
bs

If you want to check records go to guiness. 17 miles would be a long wheelie, esp. considering you would dump half the gas out the overflow and run out after bout 5-7 miles, also, did you stop for the stop signs and lights or just run them?

SethSPST
04-01-2005, 08:08 AM
That depends. I don't dump gas until I scrape. If you're in fourth or fifth and the front end is lower, you won't dump gas.

Hondadudeehhhh
04-01-2005, 02:43 PM
if i want to run a long wheelie i just put her in second and put my left foot back and ride those for a while. in 2nd gear you dont get revved out or get so much thorttle response to plot your front end up. Its easier just to keep a steady throttle in 2nd

RYDER
04-02-2005, 09:53 PM
dude what is your problem i wasn't trying to start anything here i was just asking and no i didnt stop jackass it was a 4 lane. what part of kentucky are u from because i am willing to take a good bet that i can do it again. im from kentucky and i would be glad to show you how to ride a wheelie. oh yeah i have over sized tank, because i race or is that bs also. anytime you wanna see just message me and we will get it going. dont make an *** of yourself on here by calling me out because i have called you out

nebjamin
04-03-2005, 12:05 AM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!! DAMN IT!! WHERES MY POP CORN! WHO STOLE MY LAWN CHAIR!!

:eek:

:D :D :D

duke416ex
04-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Bowling Green, and I'm not the one making an *** of myself, oh yea, if you want to get pissy, they didn't have a quad distance but here is a bicycle "Longest Bicycle Wheelie Journey
The longest bicycle journey doing a wheelie the whole way was 4,569 km (2,839.6 miles) by Kurt Osburn of Fullerton, California, who traveled from Hollywood, California, to Orlando, Florida, USA, between April 13 and June 25, 1999. "I never knew America was such a big country. You just don't realize how far it is coast-to-coast," he said after his wondrous one-wheeled epic", and by the way, I could care less how far you can ride a wheelie, don't expect me to waste my time listening to you mouth on here I have better things to do, like watch grass grow.

RYDER
04-04-2005, 11:51 AM
DONT BE BSING ME AND KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF MY BUSINESS AND IN THE GUINESS BOOK OF RECORDS

pharit
04-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by RYDER
DONT BE BSING ME AND KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF MY BUSINESS AND IN THE GUINESS BOOK OF RECORDS

Foreal where did you find 17 miles of road/hiway/street did you do this on?

Damien Camplin
04-04-2005, 09:16 PM
I would say he found this stretch of road with on the back of his eye lids. I mean come on dude, get real. Even if someone could ride a wheelie that long it looks like Ennis would be chasing him down in his cop car. If you are so sure you can do it though I willing to bet you because I would like to see it. As a matter of fact I'm not even going to brag about a certain distance but I've got money that says I can ride a wheelie longer than you can slow or fast.

SixthFloorFreak
04-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Damien Camplin
I would say he found this stretch of road with on the back of his eye lids. I mean come on dude, get real. Even if someone could ride a wheelie that long it looks like Ennis would be chasing him down in his cop car. If you are so sure you can do it though I willing to bet you because I would like to see it. As a matter of fact I'm not even going to brag about a certain distance but I've got money that says I can ride a wheelie longer than you can slow or fast.

hmmm...think its time to nut up or shut up

i know who my money's on, Mr. Camplin

:devil:

nebjamin
04-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Ok how about you guys stop talking without proof. Just get a video camera and have someone follow you or what not.

300ex13
04-05-2005, 01:00 PM
i try to be in 3rd or 4th and try to find as little bump to get me started then then hammer the throttle...i can usually get in 3rd and get the front end up and ride it no problem....i dont like doing 1st or 2nd because they are too slow!!;)

RYDER
04-05-2005, 08:34 PM
hey anyway to prove it i will. y the hell would i get on here and brag to abunch of people that i don't even have the slightest who they are. the stretch of road that i was on, is called route. 3, its a 4 lane highway through the mountains of eastern kentucky. yeah im a hillbilly and whatever else you have to say i dont care. im not here to brag or talk about other people. i do what i do and do it well and i would put money that i could ride a wheelie farther than anyone who smack talks me. if i knew how to put a video on here i would do it just leave it at that untill i get a video and shut up with the immature comments that everyone has. i can ride a good wheelie what more do i have to say.

SethSPST
04-06-2005, 10:01 AM
I got high chairs for over a mile, 2nd gear.

wallaby_kid
04-06-2005, 02:35 PM
If you want to pull a long wheelie i suggest that u stand on teh grab bar in about 1 or 2 gear with one foot eitehr on the gear shifter or the back brake, so you can either go up the gears and ride it long, or you can stay in 1st adn ride a long slow wheelie :devil: