PDA

View Full Version : mx tips and tricks

nofear15
02-17-2005, 08:25 PM
I need tons of help mxing, so I figured I could start a thread for mx tips and tricks. I need loads of help cornering fast enough to hit those jumps that are right out of the berm, and I need tips on taking the jumps as well, I think i have rythem sections down pretty well and I need tips on whoops, basically just anything you can think of. thanks

dopeyferree
02-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Seat Time. Thats the biggest tip for any type of riding. Different things work for different people so go out and practice. If your problem is whoops , ride through them turn around and go back and hit them again. Keep doing it til you get the hang of it.

nofear15
02-17-2005, 09:56 PM
what about jumping though, how do I get teh balls to actually hit teh double. I'll hit all the tables and at the dunes I jump anything and drop off anything??

schulte_85
02-18-2005, 08:46 AM
well, just ride with your head attached, and build confidence to hit that big double. It will come with time, another good tip: practice with racers that are faster than you. This helped me out a lot, because soon you will be going their speed. :D

EvilJester400EX
02-18-2005, 08:30 PM
The best tip came from my dad. Do not do anything until you are fully prepaired, if you have one slight doubt, you will f**k it all up :D . Basically, push yourself as hard as you can but do not over do it. Don't worry about doubles, work on tabletops, figure out distances and gears and what speed and all, then start tackling the doubles. In all honesty, worry most about cornering, races are won in the corners. There isn't any traction in the air. :cool:

Whoops - if they're small and close to the ground, pin the throttle and lean back as far as you can.
Doubles out of corners - lean as far back on the seat and pin the throttle. You'll know if you can make it or not.

jesshamner
02-18-2005, 10:22 PM
All these suggestions are good. I want to add something about the jumps. If you know a rider that is hitting a jump that you aren't, ask for a tow in. By tow in, I mean follow behind this person. Match the line and speed. Do exactly what he/she does. This will get you through the jump. Landing is all up to you. I would suggest getting a tow in from another quad though. Bikes are completely different as far as leaving the lip and flying through the air. Their suspension is a little more forgiving too.

QuadRacer33
02-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Now I am NOT telling you to go out and pin the throttle when you see a double. In John Natalie's DVD, he says, It's always better to overshoot a double than land short. But it all depends on your skill level. if a guy in your class is jumping stuff that you aren't I agree get a tow in. If you want more help, buy Johns Dvd and get more handlebar time.

ThumPIN_450R
02-19-2005, 05:07 PM
here's an old stock car driver saying for the turns that may help you corner in motocross "run it in deeper than you think can make the turn, but make it";)

02-19-2005, 07:48 PM
do all ur breaking before the corner, roll in 1/4 then start on the gas. 1/2 way u should be at 3/4 throtle then pin it out. seat time is everything:macho the less tired u r the faster u'll be and the harder u can push it:macho be carefull pushing it when u get tired, thats when u get f##### up. only push to the limit:D

02-19-2005, 07:53 PM
1 more thing those guys that say (if ur not crashing ur not riden hard enough) are the ones who are wipped out on the side of the track, to hurt to race, or broke somthin and watchen from the pits. keep that in mind;)

WORCSYFZ199
02-19-2005, 07:57 PM
A great way to do doubles is, if you know anyone who can make a jump for you, have them make a good sized gap but also make the landing kind of like a plateau so you will be OK if you come up short , but it gives you a great feel for how fast you need to go to clear big doubles

R3Concepts
02-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Work on the basics first. Jump the smaller tables and learn how to pitch the bike in the air, practice hitting the back brake in the air enough to downside the jump. Always ride with your middle finger holding the clutch, remember to drag it a little when you hit the back brake in mid air. Work on what the bike is going to do in the air, lean it over, play around and get comfortable so when you do hit that big jump and your front end is high or you are a little outta shape you can know what to do to correct it, because thats when people get hurt. You NEED brakes to go fast, dont ever coast into a corner, use the front brakes more then the back, brake late and very hard, use the throttle to bring the back of the bike around. Whoops, watch others to see if they rythm them or can get on top to skim them, use lower gears to skim whoops and higher to carry speed for rythming them. Doubles, get towed in but NEVER FOLLOW SOMEONE over a double that you are unsure about yourself or the other rider doing, this is how multiple people get hurt, if space allows pull off next to the double to judge other riders timing and speed. Always stay loose in the air, big air is fun and nice for others to look at, but your loosing time, but hey we all air it out once and a while.