PDA

View Full Version : Alright, i give i gotta vent!

brian-250
02-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Its all the people that think these new 450's are the greatest thing since sliced bread, i really beg to differ, look at how many people ran 400ex's last year and came out better then most people on the 450's, sure it might take a hair more to get the 400 ready but if you leave the motor stock you can still race the hell out of it and be competive for the most part. i had a friend who got a brand new 04 400ex and went to TX all he had were tires and skids and he came out 4th in his class against all the new quads. no im not complaining because i dont have one or that i want one and just wont go get it! i just see the point in goin and buying a $6500 quad putting $1200 in shocks $500 for a pipe and whatnots, and then $500+ in tires and wheels, when you can buy a built 400, 416, 426, 440 so on and so fourth for under $5000 verus's a $10000 quad. one more thing is all these kids who think you gotta have a 450R or a YFZ or something fast to be cool, borein them out and pipe'in and jettin' them and thinkin they run over 100MPH that just piss's me off. sorry if i offend anybody but i just felt like saying something about this subject. and i dont really want this to turn into a flame fest, so take to the IM's and PM's if you got something negitive to say to me or anyone else. i wanna hear everyones opion on this topic, thanks.:)

sprtrx300ex
02-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Amen brotha, I'm perfectly happy racing my 400. :cool:

SRH
02-17-2005, 05:45 PM
i use to think the same thing until about my 3rd ride on a yfz, id get back on my 400ex and it felt like i was riding a recon or some play bike id mess around on , i had a pretty decently setup 416 and a yfz stock just felt so much better and i could go faster on it

there is a reason you can buy built 400s for under 5 grand.....

i mean would you race a xr 400 or a yz 450f ....yeah

truth is your probaly not a good enough rider to appreciate the difference in the performance of quads so you just say 450s are overated

ive got a ****load of money in my quad and i wasnt borin and piiipin and da jettin to think i can go over 100 i built it for a purpose

some people ride and race there 400s and love it, th ere good reliable quads but as far as performance there back of the pack thats why everyone has 450s there not gonna spend 5 grand on a worn out former race quad that they would have a hard time sellin for 4 grand when they can buy something better, brand new for 6-7

exrider360
02-17-2005, 06:12 PM
its all preferance when it comes to this subject. as of now the 400ex is not totaly out of racing wait a season or 2 and its gonna be all built 450's

preferance preferance and so on

Dannys400ex
02-17-2005, 06:17 PM
i have a 440 and beg to differ

mike02ex
02-17-2005, 06:21 PM
i completly agree with you. its that way with all sports i used to play paintball and lost alot of money trying to be one of those guys who has to have the new hot ****e ill be keeping my 02 400 ex for a long while and when i decide to move on i dig up a old 250r or lt 250. not always but most of the time when i see a 450 the term yuppie pops into my head. mommie and daddies money, thats just young guys but the older more mature guys usely have the money and dont want to have to hop up a 400 i guess. fheeew. made me vent a little:D

sportraxkid
02-17-2005, 06:25 PM
im happy with my 440 :D

derekhonda
02-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by brian-250
Its all the people that think these new 450's are the greatest thing since sliced bread, i really beg to differ, look at how many people ran 400ex's last year and came out better then most people on the 450's, sure it might take a hair more to get the 400 ready but if you leave the motor stock you can still race the hell out of it and be competive for the most part. i had a friend who got a brand new 04 400ex and went to TX all he had were tires and skids and he came out 4th in his class against all the new quads. no im not complaining because i dont have one or that i want one and just wont go get it! i just see the point in goin and buying a $6500 quad putting $1200 in shocks $500 for a pipe and whatnots, and then $500+ in tires and wheels, when you can buy a built 400, 416, 426, 440 so on and so fourth for under $5000 verus's a $10000 quad. one more thing is all these kids who think you gotta have a 450R or a YFZ or something fast to be cool, borein them out and pipe'in and jettin' them and thinkin they run over 100MPH that just piss's me off. sorry if i offend anybody but i just felt like saying something about this subject. and i dont really want this to turn into a flame fest, so take to the IM's and PM's if you got something negitive to say to me or anyone else. i wanna hear everyones opion on this topic, thanks.:)

Who do you know that went to texas. The crew i know left from lebaon werent on 400s they were on 450s and one of them won. So if you are content with 4th then i guess keep racing the stock 400s. By the way, werent you getting a 450 about 2 months ago?

wilkin250r
02-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by SRH
there is a reason you can buy built 400s for under 5 grand.....

i mean would you race a xr 400 or a yz 450f ....yeah

truth is your probaly not a good enough rider to appreciate the difference in the performance of quads so you just say 450s are overated

True words. Don't get me wrong, the 400EX is a great quad, and can be made into a potent racer, but it takes some fairly major engine upgrades to be competative against a stock 450.

A tricked-out bored and stroked 250X can be made to beat a stock 400EX, but honestly, which would you rather have? Same thing, a tricked-out 400EX can be made to beat a stock 450, but the 450 just has more potential, and when modded appropriately, will be better overall than the 400EX.

honda400ex68b
02-17-2005, 06:42 PM
you can put a fast rider on a 400ex and a slow rider on a fast 450 and the fast rider will win, which in turn makes the rider responsible for most of the machines capabilities. doesnt matter how fast the machine is if the rider cant ride it. i raced once last year and won overall against 450's. i plan on doing it more this year. when i raced many moon's ago with a banshee, it was all 250r's, but since i have a 400ex, which is a huge improment over a banshee in the handling department, i will continue to race it until i retire from racing, again.

Warnerade
02-17-2005, 06:52 PM
YFZ's and 450's OWN ALL

nosliw
02-17-2005, 06:57 PM
no replacement for displacement

honda400ex68b
02-17-2005, 07:06 PM
the replacement is the RIDER!!!

roostin_dale
02-17-2005, 07:24 PM
I disagree with you brian. I ride my 450, then my friends 400...and just like SRH said, it feels like im on a recon.

and your saying you can build a 400ex to compete with a 450. Well, if you spend $5,000 in parts for your 400ex...then a yfz with $5,000 of parts would be just that much better!...get what im saying?

3 years ago, all that was in the A classes were hybrids and 400ex's. Now when i go to the track, everyone i remember on a 400ex now has a yfz or 450r..racers wil buy whatever it takes to win...

Dont get me wrong, 400s are great race bikes and they can win races.. but I dont believe they can compete in the higher level classes with good riders and 450's...

Nice words SRH...

chucked
02-17-2005, 07:26 PM
ur just jealous

honda400ex68b
02-17-2005, 07:40 PM
all A riders almost have to win to keep their sponsors happy, but the B & C class riders have to take what they have to win, some of us dont have money laying around to spend on everything new that come's out. i like to win too, but i am not spending a million dollars on racing just to say i won. if i win the lottery, that might be a different story, but since i dont play, that wont happen either.

400exrules
02-17-2005, 07:42 PM

thats pretty true, but some ppl are just really dedicated and have the money, so why not get a 450, because they obviously are faster

roostin_dale
02-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex68b
all A riders almost have to win to keep their sponsors happy, but the B & C class riders have to take what they have to win, some of us dont have money laying around to spend on everything new that come's out. i like to win too, but i am not spending a million dollars on racing just to say i won. if i win the lottery, that might be a different story, but since i dont play, that wont happen either.

depends on how serious you are...Ive seen $25,000 B class quads and they are only in the B class because it's their first year racing. You have to take racing one step at a time and a 450 will take you where you need to be;)

Cody_300ex
02-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Im happy with my 300ex but I would take a 450 over a 400 anyday.

honda400ex68b
02-17-2005, 08:16 PM
a 450 wont take you anywhere if you dont have the money to spend on one. how many people on this site that race have $25000 to spend on a quad? i dont. if i sell my house maybe. you still can be serious about it and not spend that much money.

chucked
02-17-2005, 08:28 PM
a stock 450 will SPANK a built 400ex, if you put 7000 in a new 400ex (price for quad and parts), it will NOT beat a stock 450

honda400ex68b
02-17-2005, 08:38 PM
not with the right rider on it. put Natalie or Farr on a built 400ex and you on a 450r and see who wins, then tell me it's not the rider.

chucked
02-17-2005, 08:39 PM
not with the right rider on it. put Natalie or Farr on a built 400ex and you on a 450r and see who wins, then tell me it's not the rider.

Um, re-read what I said... how abotu this, me on a 450r and them on a 400ex with a pipe and jet kit

tdsongster
02-17-2005, 08:54 PM
The truth of the matter is that a lot of people went out and got a loan for a new bike. How would do that and then say, yeah the 400 is faster? No one. Human nature. I would really like to know what the 450 has over my 416, other then 34 cc(s)?

Is there suspension better then my elkas?
Is there exhaust better then my full HMF?
Are there tires better then my hipers/hole shot HDs?
Is the head better then my ported, polished, ceramic coated?
Is there cam better then my Hot Cam stage 2?
Is there steering better then my Fast bars with Scotts stabilizer?
Is there ignition better then my Vortex CDI?
Is there Carb better then my FCR 39?
Is there piston better then my JE (ceramic coated)?

Well, you get the point...

The next argument you can make is that you can do all this to a 450 as well. Yes you can, but it will cost you a lot more. Then the real question is how much $$$ do you have.

The next argument is that you take the same rider of a 400 and put him (or her) on a 450 and they will be faster. While true, still a moot argument because if you are slow on a 400 you will be slow on a 450.

As much as it would please some people with no skill to buy a 450 and declare themselves superior to anyone else, sorry dude (or dudette) it still boils down to SKILL!!!

tdsongster
02-17-2005, 09:03 PM
I just re-read your last post.

You are saying that you will spank Tim Farr on a 400EX with your stock 450?

I think you had better lay off the wanking, it has scrambled your brain.

That and take a look at Chef's 400s. I don't think you are even in the same class.

Mxjunkie
02-17-2005, 09:09 PM
to be honest i would much rather have a 400ex then a 450 just for a few reasons, they are expensive, and you dont really need one. but if i had the money i guess id buy one..

the 400ex isnt far behind them at all, ive been kids on stock 400ex's at the track lead modded 450's!

SRH
02-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by tdsongster
The truth of the matter is that a lot of people went out and got a loan for a new bike. How would do that and then say, yeah the 400 is faster? No one. Human nature. I would really like to know what the 450 has over my 416, other then 34 cc(s)?

The next argument you can make is that you can do all this to a 450 as well. Yes you can, but it will cost you a lot more. Then the real question is how much $$$ do you have.

The next argument is that you take the same rider of a 400 and put him (or her) on a 450 and they will be faster. While true, still a moot argument because if you are slow on a 400 you will be slow on a 450.

As much as it would please some people with no skill to buy a 450 and declare themselves superior to anyone else, sorry dude (or dudette) it still boils down to SKILL!!!

i cant speak for 450rs

but if u take the same rider and put him on a yfz and on a 400ex he will have faster lap time on the yfz, weve done it before

yfz has a better rear shock setup which overall feels better than ex or elka link and a elka

yfz with with a slip on exhaust will walk away from the high end 440 kits such as duncan when they both hit 3rd gear that kit is what?2-3 grand

the tires arent better on a stocker

there motor is just faster i dont care if you have cdis and ceramic whatever, the 400ex will never build the revs like a yfz or have the power characteristic of a yfz

yfz comes with a fcr 39 stock

piston is just a 12:1 stock.....

the 400ex is not faster, not even with a 440, the performance just isnt there... a 465 stroker is close in a drag but the power still isnt as useful as a yfz

i mean if you just wanna brag up brand name parts thats fine but you cant compare the performance

you guys could sit back and argue this all day about skill but you dont go to local mx tracks and see guys racing xr 400s in the 250 class there on 450s...it has nothing to do with skill , its sensibility

tdsongster
02-17-2005, 09:18 PM
If has nothing to do with skill?
Stock YFZ parts are superior to aftermarket?

Please...

You are just baiting me now.

SRH
02-17-2005, 09:23 PM
If has nothing to do with skill?
Stock YFZ parts are superior to aftermarket?

Please...

You are just baiting me now.

yeah not in durability, but soem of you are living out in la la land thinking if its aftermarket its the ****, i had a 416...a a arms, axle shocks etc, yfz corners better, carrys its weight lower, more powerful etc, yfz made me faster, my 400ex held me back from getting faster all these years, beleive me if my 400ex could of easily been made competitive with it i would of done it, 400ex motor is an old 1980s style design, durable and fun but thats about it, i dont care if the whole engine is cermic coated and you have a aftermarket red bolt kit and all sorts of names all over it

cletusEX
02-17-2005, 09:30 PM
I think a lot of people where just in the market for a new quad. I don't care who you are if you race hard enough sooner or later your gonna need a new quad. And if your gonna buy new why not get one of the newer 450s. Stock for stock the motor and suspension is far better on the new 450s. I had a decked out 416ex and it worked awesome but it had quite a few races on it. I would have kept it and ran the hell out of it if I was just trail riding, but since I'm planning on hitting at least 9 of the GNCCs plus my local series I wanted a new quad and had the money to do it.

Thump_It
02-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by mike02ex
i completly agree with you. its that way with all sports i used to play paintball and lost alot of money trying to be one of those guys who has to have the new hot ****e ill be keeping my 02 400 ex for a long while and when i decide to move on i dig up a old 250r or lt 250. not always but most of the time when i see a 450 the term yuppie pops into my head. mommie and daddies money, thats just young guys but the older more mature guys usely have the money and dont want to have to hop up a 400 i guess. fheeew. made me vent a little:D

Yuppie!?? I'm a college student and paid for my bike myself, those comments seem to be coming from a jealous man.....lol, no flame intended. Just don't think that what you said is a fair stereotype (what stereotype is?). Man, I think I'm venting now, lol.:p

roostin_dale
02-17-2005, 09:59 PM

OK...BUT, you can buy all that same stuff for a yfz and make it that much better. Your spending the exact same amount except the stock price of the quads...

K_Fulk
02-17-2005, 10:34 PM
I have a pretty nice 400ex and have beat my share of 450's. Last summer my quad was down for awhile so I borrowed a buddies 450r. The only mods it had were pro taper bars a stem , and i put on my nerf bars and mx tires. I did just as well on the stock 450 as I usually did on my laid out 400.

RedRacer44
02-17-2005, 10:47 PM
There are a lot of "yuppies" as you put it that did go out and buy the new 450s just because they were the new "IT" quad to have! A lot of guys go out and buy the new hot thing just to think they have the fastest quad on the block. I've seen it happen time after time.....

You speak of these kids using daddies money to buy their quads and thinking they're hot stuff? No offense but I've seen plenty of older adults go out and splurge on a new 450....think their crap dont stink. The truth is...they cant ride to save their butt!

I have a fully MX built 450R race quad and I paid for it all in one way or another. I'm in college right now and sometimes yeah, i dont have the $$ on hand and my dad will help me out. But I work my nuts off in the summer to pay back what I need to and to pay for my racing/riding.

As far as the 400EX being on a equal plane as the 450s, stock vs. stock.....there is no way. If you fully mod out both quads with the same parts, the 450 is going to be the faster ride under normal circumstances.

If you are a racer who is improving and getting faster every day....a 400EX is going to hold you back sooner or later. I dont care if its 416, 426, or 440.....it will happen if you continue to progress. I built my cousin a 426EX a few summers ago as his race quad and this past summer he started to reach his limits on it. He bought a 450R and we built it up.....he naturally got a lot faster on the 450.

It just makes sense that if you have ANY skill at all as a quad rider and the $$$ to buy a new 450, the new 450s cant do anything but make you better or make your riding experience more enjoyable! If you are progessing as a racer, it just makes sense to get the machine that has the best chance to put you on top of the podium and today that is the new 450s!

Just my .02.....

Mxjunkie
02-17-2005, 11:00 PM
the 450s kind of remind me when the raptor came out and everyone had to have it, hell we bought and owned one right when they came out, i guess its just a phase

RedRacer44
02-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I agree. Its the new HOT THING out to buy so everyone jumps on it! For me it was just the next logical step in my racing to go faster. I was riding a 310R and it was time to put 'er to pasture once the new 450s came out. I'm very happy with my up-grade :D

Chef
02-17-2005, 11:20 PM
The EX will hold you back at some point...if you actually make it to that level. I won a couple races on my EX at the beginning of 04 against some mega-built YZF and YFZs. I was carrying the bike on my shoulders though. They would pull me a little bit at the end of the straight, but I would just hold the button WFO 25 feet farther into the corner than they would and that would get me the race. I did get the holeshots on em, everytime, and I outweighed em. So it had the horsepower at first. I was shoving it SO hard for 10-15 laps, wide open, that it just couldn't handle it anymore. I could feel the heat on my legs at 75-80 MPH. After I got the 450 out there...the race was over long before it started. The YFZ's couldn't hold a candle and the difference was the bikes. If we would have had the suspension from the 450 on the 400? I probably would have dominated on it, again, this year.

Well I guess this long ramble all came back to nothing...the 400 could have been just as fast. You can read it if you want but it all cancels out.:ermm:

416exmx
02-18-2005, 12:18 AM
I don’t think anyone should dis any bike unless they have had them all. Not liking them just because everyone else had them is just being jealous. I have had stock and modded 400ex's, 250r's, CRF/YZF hybrids, a stock YFZ450, and am now building a 450r and another hybrid. Why a 450r? For one they are only about a grand higher than a 400ex so it only makes sense to start with it. You will spend the same money building a 400ex as you will a 450r but in the end the 450r will out-do the 400ex (with the same riders on them). I like the way the 450r handles over the YFZ although I feel the YFZ has a bit more power but if you can’t get comfortable on it, it is useless. Building a hybrid from scratch will cost big bucks, however go buy a new 450r and mod it out and you will have a bit less in it than in the hybrid. The hybrid is high maintenance, wears you out faster, and will take 6 months to build (if lucky), but in the end I feel the hybrid is the ultimate quad. Now for you guys that have built 400ex's if you guys are better riders you can still hang with the 450's. I have seen a lot of guys on production bikes that need to be on blasters. There are tons of trick 400ex’s out there that were top bikes in their day, but the sad fact is their day is on the out. Face it guys, right or wrong, things are going to the 450’s. Prices on 400ex’s, 250r’s and hybrids dropped big time when the 450’s came out but I have noticed prices have come back a bit. Hybrid prices came back a bit more maybe because some guys decided the 450’s was not the ULTIMATE quad.

It don’t matter what bike anyone has because theirs will always be faster than someone else’s. That's just the way it is. If you have Elka and I have Axis, you will say your elkas are better, or your ford is better or whatever. I get sick of hearing about this stuff and watching arguments over the internet. Just ride what you have if you are happy with don’t worry about what other guys have. If you want to know what or whose is faster, I say….BRING EM TO THE TRACK!!!

Meek
02-18-2005, 02:55 AM
I have put a lot of seat time on my 400ex, and a lot of money into it, but I am faster on a stock 450R. Don't get me wrong I still ride my 400ex, but will not race it again unless I have major problems with my 450r.

brian-250
Do you have a quad?

chucked
02-18-2005, 05:19 AM
I just re-read your last post.

You are saying that you will spank Tim Farr on a 400EX with your stock 450?

I think you had better lay off the wanking, it has scrambled your brain.

That and take a look at Chef's 400s. I don't think you are even in the same class.

DUDE all im sayin is its cheaper to run a 450 then a 400ex

MY450R
02-18-2005, 08:33 AM
i bought my 450r because it was the fastest thing out.
so what!!
thats how i got all my quads
1st was the ex
then the z400
now the 450r
i dont need help from anyone to pay for my quads
call me a yuppie if you like i dont care
and if you have something against me wanting to go faster then so be it
when something faster comes out i will buy that too
its my money and my choice so who are you to judge

oh and im an excellent rider and have been riding for the past 24 years

wilkin250r
02-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Seriously? Do you hear yourself? You are comparing a tricked-out 400EX with a ton of expensive aftermarket accessories to a STOCK 450. That in itself is a testament to the new 450s.

Yeah, it's all about skill, we know. Put Tim Farr on a stock 400EX, and put me on a stock YFZ450, and Tim Farr will win. Nobody is arguing that. Blah blah blah.

How about this for a change. Put Tim Farr on a stock 400EX, and put Kory Ellis on a stock 450, who's going to win then? My money is on the 450...

Tommy 17
02-18-2005, 11:55 AM
i've rideen alot of 450s and i'll say for ME it was worthless to get a 450...

the 406 i have right now has enouf power to get done what i need... i'm use to the power it has and i know the quad inside and out... plus i have long travel suspension... to buy the 450 i would have lost all of my mods and still need 3,000$ more ontop of what my 406 is worth just to buy the stock quad... then the 450 would have to be set up to how i want it so i decided to stay with the 400 because its better for me...

i will agree that the 450 is faster but i will also say that i've keep up with 450 c class riders... up to A class a 400 can be competaitive... i'll continue to ride my 400 for the next 4 years while i'm in college then buy the newest hottest quad out in 2008...:macho

shaff107
02-18-2005, 12:33 PM
brain - u say that it makes u mad when these kids run their mouths .... ARENT U ONLY LIKE 16 ??? Dont get me wrong im only 18 but i will go ride with u any time if u seem to think that ur better then me cuz i have 450 or something cuz not to sound cocky cuz i know there are many ppl are here fastern then myself yet brian u are not one of them. AND LIKE MEEK SAID DO U EVEN HAVE A QUAD.

02-18-2005, 12:36 PM
i had a 400ex and 450r and the 400ex is in no comparison...feels like a 2x4 rancher...learn to ride brian and you might like the 450...mommy and daddy dint buy my 450r..they financed it and I almost have it paid of cause i wok everyday after school

honda400ex68b
02-18-2005, 01:16 PM
how many of us are going to be a Tim Farr or Kory Ellis? NONE

brian-250
02-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by shaff107
brain - u say that it makes u mad when these kids run their mouths .... ARENT U ONLY LIKE 16 ??? Dont get me wrong im only 18 but i will go ride with u any time if u seem to think that ur better then me cuz i have 450 or something cuz not to sound cocky cuz i know there are many ppl are here fastern then myself yet brian u are not one of them. AND LIKE MEEK SAID DO U EVEN HAVE A QUAD.

no im not 16, im 14, yes i got a 400ex, when did i ever say i was faster then you? never! the crap i say about haspin and to certain people is from joking around in chat rooms and on AIM, if you dont like stay out.

now back on subject, i like how many good responces we got on this thread, i consider my self a faster rider then some but slower then most, it takes time to practice and i dont ride alot one a week if im lucky, yes i pay for everything on my own, the only thing my parents have ever got me was some new gear a set or grips and bars and thats all everything else i pay for out of my poket. i do like the power of the 450's but i just dont feel comfy on them at all, im kinda of a heavysey guy, not huge be anymeans, but setting on a 450 feels like setting on a dirtbike only its not going to fall over! a feel so much better on a 400ex its not even funny anymore, with the setup i have on mine i feel like i could be a decent and competive racer on it i have the rear shock set soft a high bar set up and soft front shocks i like it, dont care who else does, thats my point on the subject so im sticking to it.:)

derek- hes from missisippi, i met him at the john penton gncc this year, i know the group who went from lebanon had 450's one was a GTthunder 490R, i have considerd a 450, like i have other quads in the past few months.

Warnerade
02-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by shaff107
brain - u say that it makes u mad when these kids run their mouths .... ARENT U ONLY LIKE 16 ??? Dont get me wrong im only 18 but i will go ride with u any time if u seem to think that ur better then me cuz i have 450 or something cuz not to sound cocky cuz i know there are many ppl are here fastern then myself yet brian u are not one of them. AND LIKE MEEK SAID DO U EVEN HAVE A QUAD. shut up?

mike02ex
02-18-2005, 04:06 PM
i can see points to everyones arguments, i didnt say everyone is using mommie and daddies money, but alot are, trust me im a union worker w/ 50hrs a week under my belt and i could run out and buy a 450 easily but i dont want to fall into that crowd that is so popular, where i live anyways, built 450,s with pleasent people riding them is great, but when that 16 year old kid is flailin' around the track on his shiny new 450 lookin back at his roost i have no respect for those guys. i dont know. i think its more about the type of riders for me.i like everyone here so far so im gonna bow outta this thread before i start getting hated. :)

nacs400ex
02-18-2005, 04:07 PM
no im not 16, im 14, yes i got a 400ex, when did i ever say i was faster then you? never! the crap i say about haspin and to certain people is from joking around in chat rooms and on AIM, if you dont like stay out.

now back on subject, i like how many good responces we got on this thread, i consider my self a faster rider then some but slower then most, it takes time to practice and i dont ride alot one a week if im lucky, yes i pay for everything on my own, the only thing my parents have ever got me was some new gear a set or grips and bars and thats all everything else i pay for out of my poket. i do like the power of the 450's but i just dont feel comfy on them at all, im kinda of a heavysey guy, not huge be anymeans, but setting on a 450 feels like setting on a dirtbike only its not going to fall over! a feel so much better on a 400ex its not even funny anymore, with the setup i have on mine i feel like i could be a decent and competive racer on it i have the rear shock set soft a high bar set up and soft front shocks i like it, dont care who else does, thats my point on the subject so im sticking to it.:)

derek- hes from missisippi, i met him at the john penton gncc this year, i know the group who went from lebanon had 450's one was a GTthunder 490R, i have considerd a 450, like i have other quads in the past few months.

The point is you probably never have even riden a 450. You just sit on exriders and complain about quads that you cant have. Go ride your recon.

The 400ex is basically a trailquad. It has an xr400 motor.

The YFZ/TRX are race quads. motors based off yzfs and crf's.

Like Wilkin said, to sit here and debate that the 400ex is as competitive as the new 450s, proves the point that the days of the 400ex being a decent racer are over. Why buy something that already puts you at a disadvantage compared to the others options out there.

Warnerade
02-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
The point is you probably never have even riden a 450. You just sit on exriders and complain about quads that you cant have. Go ride your recon. are you illiterate? the post you QUOTED he stated he owns a 400ex...and so what if he "*****es about quads he doesnt have", thats not the case here. his statement does make sence, and is true in some cases...not all, but some.

Braff1
02-18-2005, 04:10 PM
The 400 is still a competitive sport machine by all means when it comes to the 450's. The key factor is going to be the rider.

Racing a 400 the rider is gonna have to work harder to get it to go faster, there is no replacement for displacement!!! bottom line.

nacs400ex
02-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
he stated he owns a 400ex...and so what if he "*****es about quads he doesnt have", thats not the case here. his statement does make sence, and is true in some cases...not all, but some.

Exactly he STATED, Do you believe everything you read. He also has stated before that he had all aftermarkets parts on it before, if I recall he has even had two before. :rolleyes:

In no way is the stock 400ex going to be more competitive than a stock 450.

Warnerade
02-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Exactly he STATED, Do you believe everything you read. He also has stated before that he had all aftermarkets parts on it before, if I recall he has even had two before. :rolleyes:

In no way is the stock 400ex going to be more competitive than a stock 450. ytes, im the most gullable person on the net and i beleive everything i read. i clearly cont come here nearly as often as i used to, so i dont get the newest info on what people have in their sigs, my mistake, i salute you for that

brian-250
02-18-2005, 04:38 PM
The point is you probably never have even riden a 450. You just sit on exriders and complain about quads that you cant have. Go ride your recon.

The 400ex is basically a trailquad. It has an xr400 motor.

The YFZ/TRX are race quads. motors based off yzfs and crf's.

Like Wilkin said, to sit here and debate that the 400ex is as competitive as the new 450s, proves the point that the days of the 400ex being a decent racer are over. Why buy something that already puts you at a disadvantage compared to the others options out there.

bull ****, ive rode them both modded and stockand i still like the 400 much better, out of the 450's i like the YFZ somewhat better because of the low seat heighth, so dont say what you dont know pal.;)

nacs400ex
02-18-2005, 06:34 PM
bull ****, ive rode them both modded and stockand i still like the 400 much better, out of the 450's i like the YFZ somewhat better because of the low seat heighth, so dont say what you dont know pal.;)

Well I know that anyone with common sense would realize a stock 450 is better in all aspects compared to a stock 400ex.

Cody_300ex
02-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Well I know that anyone with common sense would realize a stock 450 is better in all aspects compared to a stock 400ex.

He's just jelious he don't have a 450.

sprtrx300ex
02-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Braff1
The 400 is still a competitive sport machine by all means when it comes to the 450's. The key factor is going to be the rider.

Racing a 400 the rider is gonna have to work harder to get it to go faster, there is no replacement for displacement!!! bottom line.

Well said.

bansheeguy77
02-18-2005, 09:07 PM
how many of us are going to be a Tim Farr or Kory Ellis? NONE

i am :macho :)

bansheeguy77
02-18-2005, 09:08 PM

now what did momma tell you about doing drugs :grr:

Out_Sider
02-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
depends on how serious you are...Ive seen $25,000 B class quads and they are only in the B class because it's their first year racing. You have to take racing one step at a time and a 450 will take you where you need to be;)

very good words here

honda400ex68b
02-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
i am :macho :)

now what did momma tell YOU about doing drugs :confused:

SRH
02-18-2005, 09:41 PM

hey maybe you should take your own advice because the yfz seat height is way higher than a 400ex lol, according to a dirtwheels shootout last year the yfz and z 400 seat heigh was almost 8 inch diff from the 400ex

bansheeguy77
02-18-2005, 09:44 PM

so how do you know i will never make it?? do you know anything about me? didnt think so.....

bansheeguy77
02-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by SRH
hey maybe you should take your own advice because the yfz seat height is way higher than a 400ex lol, according to a dirtwheels shootout last year the yfz and z 400 seat heigh was almost 8 inch diff from the 400ex

8 inches??? holy hell the 400 is like 32 inch seat height....so your saying the yfz is 40 :eek2: i thought it was like 30. the z sits higher than a 400....or so it feels. anywho im staying out of this argument because i dont need another debate

SRH
02-18-2005, 09:52 PM
450s arent a fad there the future, there are alot of non racers that buy them and trail ride them and could use a 400ex and be set but its there money big deal if they want one, i never owned a quad before and was looking at a 400ex in 98 and said ohhh id like to have this, yeah i could of rode a recon for awhile but...wtf would i do that for id outgrow it and resell it and lose money after a month or two you gotta be smart aboiut your purchases, i reached a point with my 400ex were it was no longer intelligent to put cash into it and i needed more than it had to offer and there was no chance of me getting a decent resale on it that was a year ago.... im going to pick up a 400ex for riding in the off season and maybe hit up a few gncc's because i can get one so cheap, probaly 2 grand -2500 here will get me a half way decent stocker

SRH
02-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
8 inches??? holy hell the 400 is like 32 inch seat height....so your saying the yfz is 40 :eek2: i thought it was like 30. the z sits higher than a 400....or so it feels. anywho im staying out of this argument because i dont need another debate

yeah i dunno exactly where they measure from on the quads even with the higher seat height the yfz still carrys its weight much lower and corners alot better, i dontk now about you guys but i expeirenced real sloppy handling with my 400ex and all the others i rode, the yfz is just crisp...point and shoot... 400ex was bog and slide

FourFiftyFour
02-18-2005, 10:09 PM
drama drama drama......

Shawn H
02-18-2005, 11:02 PM
I had a stroked out Gt thunder Z450 with Long travel Custom Axis the whole ball of wax.

I still benifited from the 450r I was as fast or faster Stock.

Brian your statements tell me a few things about ya.

1 :is you say your a heavier boy who likes his shocks set up soft?:huh That tells me you do not ride hard enough to even get the benifit of a 450r or a YFZ. So your right stay on your 4hundy.

2nd is you also say you like the the YFZ better out of the 450's yet it has a stiffer suspension than the Honda?

So my assumption is you need to practice more and become a faster rider and then you'll appreciate the TRUE benifts of a 450.

02-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Just ecause your jelous of the big bores, doesnt mean you need to vent.

02-19-2005, 07:49 AM

has anyone ever called you a ***got? You're freakin running your mouth when you stock bars on your big bad 400. If you have ever mx'd in your life you wouldn't be ruinning thoughs bars.

honda400ex68b
02-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by kicks
has anyone ever called you a ***got? You're freakin running your mouth when you stock bars on your big bad 400. If you have ever mx'd in your life you wouldn't be ruinning thoughs bars.

what are you talking about? i dont have stock bars on my big bad 400.

twisted threads
02-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
drama drama drama......
LOL!! I agree. This is some great debating.
Well I guess I should put my two cents in. I think the 400ex is a great quad but its not as great as the new 450's. If you get on any 400ex that has work done to it and then get on a 450r or YFZ with a pipe the ex will feel sluggish after. Im not saying the ex is a slow bike either because my Ex is FAST but its not as quick as my 450r but in a long drag its very close.

Chef
02-19-2005, 10:43 AM

Uh...do you know what FMF 909's are idiot?

02-19-2005, 12:40 PM
sorry i thought he was talkin about grips fuglys

Warnerade
02-19-2005, 03:27 PM
sorry i thought he was talkin about grips fuglys lol, good job scooter!

440exnacsracer
02-19-2005, 10:29 PM
off topic, but ill tell you what i cant stand, when someone says" yea, i had a raptor i sold for 10k set up for motocross and i hit 140 on my street in 4th" whew, i heard that today and had to laugh, if i didnt laugh, id probably be in a jail for assault and battery. the DA's in this world today