PDA

View Full Version : new 440 ex owner???

nicker71
02-17-2005, 11:09 AM
hi Im new, looking at a 440ex and this is what it has on it. can anyone tell me how quick this thing will go it looks really nice and he said it was fast. Im a true honda fan all I have ever owned were honda ATC's. still have a 81 and 82 honda 250R threewheers. Most of my friends have 660 raptors and im looking for a honda that will beat them. cant afford the 450R and I want a four stroke. the quad looks good he tells me that it is very strong and reliable. But i want to check and make sure. WIll this out run a stock raptor?? in a drag race. I dont know alot about the 400ex except it is reliable as hell. I owned a couple of 350x's ATC before so i think I know what a stock one would run. but how about this one. He told me he uses race gas 110 octane.

will it beat a raptor in a drag race I allready know that it will out handle a raptor but what about speed.??

IT still has the stock carb on it, he told me that it ran strong enough and well enough with out it. How much more difference will a bigger carb make???? Sould I get one?? would it be worth it??

With the items listed below how would good are the performance parts on the quad. I dont know if he bought the "cheap" stuff or if he used quality parts.

are 440 kits reliable?
I mostly just trail ride with it, but interested in some racing to.

one thing about the 400 is that it is a "sleeper" I want to suprise my friends when I beat them in a drag race. when they are on a 660 raptor.

thanks for the info Im going to go and look at it this weekend. your feedback will help determine if I buy it or not.

PROFESSIONALLY BUILT 60 HOURS

- IMS 440 BIG BORE 11:1
-FULL PORT AND POLISH
-MEGACYCLE HARDENED & NICKEL PLATED CAM AND ROCKERS
-TC BIG CYLINDER STUD KIT
-BARNETT CLUTCH SPRINGS
-PRO CIRCUT SLIP-ON PIPE
-OHLIN PIGGYBACK RES. SHOCKS ON FRONT
-JD PERFORMANCE +2 A-ARMS
-AC FRONT BUMPER, NERF BARS, REAR SKID PLATE
-FACTORY EFFECTS SEAT & GRAFFICS KIT
-PRO TAPER MX ALUM. BARS w/ ADAPT.
-UNI AIR FILTER
-33 TOOTH REAR SPROCKET

Kurt Glore
02-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Welcome and congrats on the 440. I see that you are in Missouri and said you may be interested in racing. Try this link, http://www.mhscracing.com/ for some good XC racing.

cals400ex
02-17-2005, 12:49 PM
a good full pipe should help open that up. on a dyno, i see that most aftermarket carbs will put out an additional 4 horsepower. however, after trying them on my 426, they didin't feel that much more powerful than the stock carb. they have much more throttle response though.

i can see it beating a raptor up to a certain point. the piped raptors around here all beat the 450's top end. so, the 400ex doesn't have much of a chance at top speed.

400grl
02-17-2005, 03:32 PM
I would put an aftermarket header on there as well as buy an FCR carb. I couldn't afford one for my 440 ( a new carb) but I would have bought one if I could have - you will notice the power increase with the carb for sure - if the kit was done well and the bike is jetted properly.

Make sure you run race gas......and I ran at least partially synthetic oil.

Also, if you are going to be doing much duning, you will need a much bigger oil cooler than the little stock one. The 440 will heat up quick, and heat takes away HP.......you can get aftermarket oil coolers that will be much bigger and help cool your oil faster. You might also consider a larger capacity oil tank.

nicker71
02-21-2005, 10:27 AM
how much of a difference will a aftermarket header pipe make???

400grl
02-21-2005, 10:29 AM
With just a header pipe and not making any more changes, probably not that much of a noticeable difference. But I know my stock header on my 400ex was considerably smaller than the FMF one I bought.......

Dust_1503
02-21-2005, 10:45 AM
If your wanting to pick up some off the line i'd at least get a 38 tooth rear. Wow 33 is small! but i guess if your into drag racing thats where your top end is coming from.

cals400ex
02-21-2005, 10:45 AM
i think i would go buy a whole aftermarket system before i bought just an aftermarket header for a slip on silencer.

nicker71
02-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Is the IMS 440 kit very good from what I can find it isnt the greatest kit, but with all the other stuff listed will it perform well. I rode it this weekend and from what I can tell it didnt really impress me much, but im use to my 86 250R ATC. would a cam make much difference? sounds like HMF is the best pipe for the 400ex. im starting to think i would be better of buying a raptor becasue they are in my same price range or maybe a 450R they are just a little more than I wanted to spend. I have allways had hondas and that is kinda what I wanted this 440, he wants $3900 and it is a 01 he told me it had about 55hours on the motor and the bike is clean and looks good is this a fair price

thanks

400exrider707
02-21-2005, 12:17 PM
You really dont need to run race gas on 11:1 compression either. Overall it sounds like its got some good stuff on it, just as long as it was built right and it is jetted properly. Also you might want to think about a heavy duty cam chain.

K_Fulk
02-21-2005, 12:37 PM
You would get a huge gain from a full pipe and a fcr.

Plante400
02-21-2005, 12:58 PM
i like all the mods on that bike

espexially the full port and polish and the ohlins'

go for it i say..

Plante400
02-21-2005, 01:00 PM
tell him you will give him 35 haha

nicker71
02-21-2005, 01:48 PM
how much more will that carb and full ehxust cost me? I found a 04 yfz for $4999.99 I think that might be the better deal even with the carb and full pipe the yfz will be quicker and the better deal, Right?

K_Fulk
02-21-2005, 02:13 PM
If you got both used it would be around 600.

I would just get the yfz though, pipe, filter and cam mod and there real strong. They even come with the fcr carb stock.