PDA

View Full Version : Quite Pipes Only? Whats This World Coming To?

Rayne
02-16-2005, 08:57 PM
hey every one did you hear about the sound limit in national mx? go here and give your thoughts on it.

http://www.motocrosshq.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=328&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=b4dcb056c9be69b1e403130873aa874f

tdsongster
02-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I think nascar and drag racing should do the same, that way when they go by the audience it will be nice and quiet. No other motor sport would even consider this.

Johnny & Monica
02-16-2005, 09:33 PM
If it`s to loud your getting old Spent your time at the bowling alley an leave us racers alone:D

UbeenSmoked
02-16-2005, 09:40 PM
ya i like loud things, i dont like the sound of being quit and all u can hear is u breathing or somthing, i say if they arnt going to make nascars or drag cars be quite then y us were no were near as loud as them guys

QUADROOKIE
02-16-2005, 09:47 PM
"Loud Pipes Save Lives":D

Johnny & Monica
02-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Or maybe they can go to bingo or the library if they want quiet:devil:

Chef
02-16-2005, 11:09 PM
While I do understand where you guys are coming from on the making NASCAR and NHRA and the like quiet too...you have to understand that as much as you love your bikes (I love mine just as much) Its alot more of an irritating loudness that we make. One cylinder turning 10 grand at 105 db isn't nearly as easy on the ears as 8 cylinders in a cup car at 9200 RPM...if you understand what I'm getting at. Especially 2 strokes...I give myself a headache on my R sometimes.

But also, a 102 db limit isn't "quiet" by any means...102 db is damn loud. Db's double every 3db. So if a stock EX, which is quiet, is like 87-88 db, 102 db is like 4 or 5 times louder than that...which is pretty damn loud.

smr
02-17-2005, 05:45 AM
These are all good thoughts and see where everyone is coming from.

You have to look at what the ATVA is doing....they are trying to force the companies to make quieter pipes. You look at a dirt bike pipe..they make no where near the noise we do.

Nascar and NHRA doesn't practice in the field behind my house, so I really don't care what they run. It's not so much to quiet things down at the track but it's off the track that herts.

I think it's a positive thing the ATVA is trying to do.

Rico
02-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Here we go again......:eek2:

KILLAQuad
02-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by QUADROOKIE
"Loud Pipes Save Lives":D

Hey they have save me before .....:eek2:

Scro
02-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Chef

But also, a 102 db limit isn't "quiet" by any means...102 db is damn loud. Db's double every 3db. So if a stock EX, which is quiet, is like 87-88 db, 102 db is like 4 or 5 times louder than that...which is pretty damn loud.

theoretically, it doubles every 3db...but in reality it only doubles every 10db

TC426EX
02-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Yeah here we go again... I wont say anything except my opinion on the rule is

wilkin250r
02-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by bama450r
theoretically, it doubles every 3db...but in reality it only doubles every 10db

Actually, you are both right, in a way.

POWER output doubles every 3dB. That's the very definition of a decible. It's 10*log (PowerOUT/PowerIN). If the PowerOUT is twice the PowerIN, then 10*log (2) = 3dB. When describing sound, they don't actually measure the PowerIN, but rather they use a reference level as a constant. But still, the basic definition is still there in there, 6dB is twice the power of 3dB, and 102dB is twice the power of 99dB.

However, POWER does not exactly equal LOUD. There is MORE to sound "power" then how loud it appears to somebody, and can be measured by Sound Pressure Levels and such, but honestly, it gets more complicated then I can explain. But the short version, to get something twice as "loud", you actually need TEN times the power, which is 10dB. So 100dB is twice as "loud" as 90dB.

joedirt
02-17-2005, 12:50 PM
If you are racing with someone for a couple of laps or miles and they have a really loud pipe did you ever think to yourself "man I would love to smash that thing". I know I have I personally like a heathy sound machine not loud and ratty. Racig the GNCC series I don't want to have to worry about my quad going anyway near 102db that itself is just a headache. Repacking and all.

rpmquad
02-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Johnny & Monica
If it`s to loud your getting old Spent your time at the bowling alley an leave us racers alone:D

johnny your so old you cant hear anyways :eek: :devil:

JDiablo
02-17-2005, 08:52 PM
if you all want quiet pipes TC's are the way to go :chinese:

coryatver
02-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Well ATVA is a organization that represents all quad riders and they want to force the manufacures to make exhuast that is more quiet and so they can say they are doing something about the noise when people complain. But i have had neighbors complain with stock exhuast so it really doesnt matter people are going to complain no matter what it just gives them a little less fuel to use against us. When the pro gncc class comes by it sounds awesome. But it isnt' when your neighbor with a old warrior with a cut off dg pipe is out riding at midnight.

quadjeff
02-18-2005, 06:30 AM
If we do not go quiet we will have no where to ride.... And that is a fact... All the tree huggers and enviromental people are after noise and dust. They just passed a ugly noise law here in washington state.. Get on board or sell your quads now. I speaking from first hand experience... Track owners will not make it with noisy pipes.. Do everyone a favor and run a tree hugger over...;)

UKRacer#17
02-18-2005, 06:54 AM
i think its getting pretty ridiculous because now in england we have to be below 98db which sucks. and by 2006 theyre trying to get it down 2 96db thats only for mx and the XC is even quieter.

sharkinthepool
02-18-2005, 06:55 AM
what a bunch of f-in crap!:cuss: :mad:

ckasper18
02-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Well first off noise dont make a lot more power.I have been doing testing on pipes on our dyno and a not using any names but the difference between a loud pipe and a q series pipe in horsepower is nothing to right home to mom about.If everyone has to have it so does everybody else what do you think your the only one being restricted.I am all for the lower db noise limit.

joedirt
02-18-2005, 12:49 PM
If they can make a pipe that quiet 96dbs and keep the same power I'm all for it. I really don't care just as long as I can race and have places to ride/practice.

Rico
02-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Anyone that thinks that extra 1.5 HP you get from having a loud pipe is what wins races needs to train harder and take your bichen to the kitchen where all the sheeelas hang out...:blah:

Zhvonte
02-18-2005, 05:34 PM
I say that anyone who does not like it loud doesn't have to be at the track.... My quad with the pipe I normally use is 108 db when revved at 3000 and my race pipe is 116 Db at same rpm.... I be damned if anyone going to tell me at the track that I am making too much noise.... Havn't they ever heard of ear plugs??

joedirt
02-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Zhvonte stop and think before you write. You sound like a jackass. Go run your Warrior w/ Cobra exhaust around in circles in your backyard. 116 dbs thats a little extreme. Do you drive around in a Honda civic with one of those big cans stuck on the back. Your racing on someone elses property respect it and there rules.

Chef
02-18-2005, 09:26 PM
When I'm racing against someone with an exhaust so loud that I can't even hear my own bike...and I'm in front of em...I back off and dump their ***** when they go by.

QUADROOKIE
02-18-2005, 10:03 PM
All I have to say is this. I like to be able to hear my own quad, and also the quads that are around me, OVER my quad. That way I know where people are and they know where I am. Loud pipes DO save lives, if not, accidents at least. First of all, the tracks should be far enuff away from residential areas that it shouldnt matter. As well as riding parks. Now should you ride through your neighborhood at 10 at nite WOT??? No, absolutely not. But at a riding area, or a RACE track, noise should not be a concern no matter what. Just my opinion.

Out_Sider
02-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Actually, you are both right, in a way.

POWER output doubles every 3dB. That's the very definition of a decible. It's 10*log (PowerOUT/PowerIN). If the PowerOUT is twice the PowerIN, then 10*log (2) = 3dB. When describing sound, they don't actually measure the PowerIN, but rather they use a reference level as a constant. But still, the basic definition is still there in there, 6dB is twice the power of 3dB, and 102dB is twice the power of 99dB.

However, POWER does not exactly equal LOUD. There is MORE to sound "power" then how loud it appears to somebody, and can be measured by Sound Pressure Levels and such, but honestly, it gets more complicated then I can explain. But the short version, to get something twice as "loud", you actually need TEN times the power, which is 10dB. So 100dB is twice as "loud" as 90dB.

how do you know all this stuf? by god its like your a human calculator, haha, not sayin its a bad thing but if i ever need a technical question answered ur gonna be the person i go to

TC426EX
02-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
how do you know all this stuf? by god its like your a human calculator, haha, not sayin its a bad thing but if i ever need a technical question answered ur gonna be the person i go to

Thats why hes the site "official thinker"