PDA

View Full Version : Can't get stock a-arm out of the spindle!!!! HELP!

Cody_300ex
02-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Ok guys I'm going to be rhino coating my stock bottom a-arms here soon. The thing is I can't get the the bottom a-arms out of the spindle. I've hit it with a sledge hammer, regular hammer, crow bar. ect. Please help me get this damn thing off. :( Thanks

Plante400
02-16-2005, 08:42 PM
there is a special tool that looks like a big 2 tonged fork
this with a hammer makes doig that Very easy

JOEX
02-16-2005, 11:00 PM
There needs to be pressure applied between the spindle and a-arm/ball joint while 'hitting' the spindle with the hammer.

bradley300
02-17-2005, 06:57 AM
heat it up, it should pop right out. worked on my truck

rob-u/21
02-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Motion Pro makes a tool specially for that. I have used before and it works way better than hitting it with a hammer and messing your spindle up. Its called a ball joint seperater or breaker.http://motionpro.com/Docs/atvtools.html

sprtrx300ex
02-17-2005, 11:15 AM
the tools you need is called a "pickle fork"

02-17-2005, 01:01 PM
dont use a hammer..i di that and it damaged threads and had to orde new a-arm...learn from my istakes or your own

XANDADA
02-17-2005, 01:58 PM
go to an automotive parts store like Autozone or something and buy a ball joint remover tool. Just as described above, it looks like a big two prong fork. It will pop them right out. I've had to use mine a couple of times already...

atvmx14
02-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
There needs to be pressure applied between the spindle and a-arm/ball joint while 'hitting' the spindle with the hammer.

Yeah he's right i had to have someone else hit the spindle while i was pushing on the a-arm. Its a pain......:mad: :mad:

Aceman
02-17-2005, 10:32 PM
I got the el cheapo method. It seemed to work great for me. Depending on which ball joint your trying to remove take the nut off of it and flip it upside down, now screw it onto the balljoint stud until its perfectly flat with the end of the stud. Now fit something like a short large diameter bolt or piece of metal between the top and bottom ball joint studs. Now back the nut off you just screwed on until it gets fairly tight. Now tap on the spindle with a hammer. This will make the ball joint pop out. If it still doesn't come out put a little more pressure on it by turning the nut, then repeat by tapping with a hammer on the spindle next to the ball joint. This method worked perfectly for me and didn't require any extra tools. I was able to pop both ball joints out with this method also. Also, since your not using a pickle fork you don't take the chance of tearing a boot.

redrunner
02-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
I got the el cheapo method. It seemed to work great for me. Depending on which ball joint your trying to remove take the nut off of it and flip it upside down, now screw it onto the balljoint stud until its perfectly flat with the end of the stud. Now fit something like a short large diameter bolt or piece of metal between the top and bottom ball joint studs. Now back the nut off you just screwed on until it gets fairly tight. Now tap on the spindle with a hammer. This will make the ball joint pop out. If it still doesn't come out put a little more pressure on it by turning the nut, then repeat by tapping with a hammer on the spindle next to the ball joint. This method worked perfectly for me and didn't require any extra tools. I was able to pop both ball joints out with this method also. Also, since your not using a pickle fork you don't take the chance of tearing a boot.

What he said, that worked for me. check this

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100278&perpage=15&pagenumber=1