PDA

View Full Version : What exhaust?

09-08-2001, 12:07 AM
I am about to make a rather large decision in the enhancement of my 400EX. I am 17 and a very aggressive rider and so I have made the decision to buy a complete exhaust. I am undecided on witch particular brand I want. I am looking for an exhuast to give me the biggest power gain. So fare I have highly considered a Big Gun with both arrester ends.

Many of you may have feild experience with more then one exhaust, so if you can help me in the frustrating problem of choosing an exhaust I would be very happy . When I do come to a decision on witch exhaust meets my needs I'm also going to purchase a quiksilver carb at the same time, so my 400EX will really get up and go :).

Thanks ahead of time for any and all information provided. I must spend my money wisely because I still have to keep up on my payments so if anyone knows a place with good prices point me that way.

:)

max400EX
09-08-2001, 12:11 AM
Is that a dead horse i hear being beat?

Foxrage
09-08-2001, 07:30 AM
For as much as a big gun is i would just get the curtis sparks. It is the best one you can buy. It is only like 425 witrhout the spark arrestor. You can get it with the spark arrestor for a little bit more.

09-08-2001, 08:35 AM
Before you spend all that money, there are cheaper ways to get that 400 to kick it ! Check out the jetting survey that Leo did and see all the different mods. I'm no expert but the full pipe and carb won't be to your advantage unless you mod the engine. You can mod the airbox, jetting and throw on a slip-on and get an impressive gain in power. Do a little more research in mods before you drop close to a grand into your 400.
I spent about $235 on my mods listed below.
John
One more thing, go to marcum's site at top of the forum page and check out the shootout he did on 5 popular slip-ons. Yahoo groups for 400EX's
has a Dirt Wheels exhaust shootout in the files section.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TRX400EX/files/Dirt%20Wheels%20exhaust%20shootout/

barbwire44
09-08-2001, 08:53 AM
FMF all the way man they've been building pipes since the stone age. And if you notice every pipe shootout they have they only use the slip-on from fmf they never match the powercore up with the powerbomb----I think there afraid it might break there dyno's!!

nakomis0
09-08-2001, 09:41 AM
I think a full exhaust and a carb is a good start.... IF you plan on building your bike more in the future.

The exhaust and carb will make sure you get the most out of your future mods.

The Big Gun is an awesome pipe, with probably the best low end power you can get from a pipe. Its not the best pipe for highly modded engines.

I like the White Bro, Pro Circuit and Yosh. All great looking pipes that work well with stock or modded engines.

All pipes are fairly close in performance as long as you keep with a decent brand. Its like they say anyone can make a pipe that makes you go faster, but it takes a good product, to perform, and 'sound good', ..........and looking good is nice also.

So with all that said, get a Cobra pipe, there loud as hell and cost like 80$ i hear.......;) :blah

kabd69667
09-08-2001, 03:09 PM
Sparks all the way. I have the x 4 and i love it.

Dave400ex
09-08-2001, 04:04 PM
Sparks. If you plan on building the engine some day than get the X-6. You may want to ask Sparks about the FCR carb. Everything I`ve heard about it is good. I think I saw it added more power than the quiksilver also.

kabd69667
09-08-2001, 06:53 PM
Yeah, the FCR carb has almost a gain of 3 hp over quiksilvers.

09-08-2001, 07:18 PM
I got the graydon proline pipe almost exactly a year ago and never looked back. For 280.00 dollars it was a great deal. Triple
chrome plated (sparks has a ceramic coating-more durable I think)
accepts supertrapp spark arrestor discs(only if you need 'em), and
real close to the HP leaders(WB and sparks). Great people too.

Brian