PDA

View Full Version : fox floats

flyingraptor660
02-16-2005, 04:19 PM
:devil: hey ppl of atvriders.com i am new and i need some advice i am looking at the new fox float x shox and the podium x to put on my 2002 raptor 660 should i put those on or go with elka or axis i like fox because i like there products please help me!!
also should i put +2+1 a-arms from alba and a +4 swing arm from alba on my bike? i ride desert dunes and hard terrain?
:devil:

TORO1968
02-16-2005, 05:56 PM
First off, welcome to the site! :)

About the Float X and Podium X shocks...I don't believe they're out yet, but I imagine after the dealer show next week, there will be much more information available. I'm interested in them as well... Being into mountian biking for a number of years, I've definitely seen that Fox makes a quality air shock. Who knows how much these shocks will cost, though (the standard Floats run $900).

You definitely cannot go wrong with Elka or Axis... Seems like Elka is the favorite around here and is probably what I'll be putting on my 400ex.

I think the Alba a-arms would be a good choice for your raptor, however the +4 swingarm might be a bit much... What kind of axle are you planning on running?

Could you explain what you mean by "hard terrain"??

Hopefully some other people will chime in here too...

-Jordan

02-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Are you trying to keep the front end down on your Raptor? If you aren't running any big modifications with regards to your motor, you'd be better off running a +1 swingarm with the +1 forward a-arms. It will keep the front end more planted and keep the handling where it needs to be. A +4 would be good if you are drag racing, but everyday duning and open desert hard pack that setup wouldn't be optimal.

TBD
02-17-2005, 12:02 PM
I would suggest a plus 2 inch swingarm unlees you have a lot of motor work and need to keep the front end down. If that is the case then don't go 1 inch forward with the arms. If you go forward with the arms that puts more wieght to the rear defeating the purpose of using a longer swingarm. If you want to use it for dunes and trails then I would suggest a plus 2 inch swingarm and 0 forward a-arms. There are a lot of other arm companies I would recomend before buying the Procomp Alba arms. The reason I don't recomend them is the fact that they use mild steel tubing at the pivots.

02-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Why wouldn't you go +1 in front and +1 in the rear for a +2 overall which would keep the balance of the quad the same front to rear while spreading it over a larger area?
I'm not trying to be smart or anything, just actually curious since you told me to with +1+1 way back when, or was it due to the fact that +1+1 works better with the 400 than the raptor?
Also, I know that if you only go +1 in the front, you develop a push situation, again what you told me when you set up my old 400, wouldn't going +2 in the rear cause the steering to become quicker as you add more weight over the front tires with the longer swingarm?
I assume it has more to do with the Raptor chassis in this situation why you don't recommend +1 forward.

TBD
02-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by mrbluehair
Why wouldn't you go +1 in front and +1 in the rear for a +2 overall which would keep the balance of the quad the same front to rear while spreading it over a larger area?
I'm not trying to be smart or anything, just actually curious since you told me to with +1+1 way back when, or was it due to the fact that +1+1 works better with the 400 than the raptor?
Also, I know that if you only go +1 in the front, you develop a push situation, again what you told me when you set up my old 400, wouldn't going +2 in the rear cause the steering to become quicker as you add more weight over the front tires with the longer swingarm?
I assume it has more to do with the Raptor chassis in this situation why you don't recommend +1 forward. Your right. It does have to do with the Raptor. I'm assuming that he probally is more of a duner and in that case he would be better off with 0 forward arms and plus 2 swingarm. If it was for desert I would then recomend 1 inch forward for the arms and still a plus 2 swingarm. With the balance of the Raptor, what I have found is that it always needs to go further out the back so that it will load more wieght to the front.

wheeltrax
02-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Plus i have seen alot of raptors crack axles because of the short stock swingarm. I think with an extended swingarm, it would fix some of that problem.