PDA

View Full Version : MOBIL 1 Red Cap, no longer available!

sjc115
02-16-2005, 12:52 PM
I went to the store last week to pick up some Mobil 1 red cap and they were out of stock. I went back again today and to my surprise, they were still out of stock. After checking the Mobil 1 website, it appears that 15-50 red cap is no longer available.

It has been replaced with Mobil 1 Extened Life (which has a gold cap), and is about $1 more per quart where I usually buy my oil.

Has anybody tried the new Extened Life Mobil 1 in a manual tranny Honda four stroke (ie. 350x, 300ex, 400ex)?
Does anybody know if it is a suitable replacement?

BLAZE1
02-16-2005, 01:54 PM
I would think the weight has more to do with oil than the type.
I am not 100% sure but I think as long as you run the same viscosity you will be fine!
My friend has a 93' Honda Civic and the manual says it takes 10-30 in the gear case...so I would believe anything after I saw that??:eek2:

sjc115
02-16-2005, 02:15 PM
There is also a concern with some type of additive that is found in most automotive oils. Whatever it is, it supposedly messes up the clutch plates. The old red cap Mobil 1 did not have the additive. I can't remember what the additive is or how to tell if the new stuff has it or not.

UglyMotha™
02-16-2005, 02:41 PM
the type of oil has everything to do with it, if you put oil in your engine that contains friction modifiers you will trash the clutch

Rico
02-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Looks like I;m gonna go buy a case or 2 of it then...:eek2:

UglyMotha™
02-16-2005, 03:04 PM
yup just check the site looks like its true, there's still 15w50 but it's only in the extended life they don't offer the 15w50 in the regular synthetic anymore, looks like i'll be switching back to klots, or i might try out mobil's sythetic they have for mxt4 for mx bikes if its not outragiously priced

zephead400ex
02-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Well hell, when did this happen? I know the auto store had 'Red Cap' this weekend:confused:

hondardr4life
02-16-2005, 04:00 PM
I was going to run mobile one red cap 15w 50, but I see that they no longer make it. Now I am stumped, I have no clue what to run. I can find mobile 1 red cap 20w 50, but will that work well in my motor??? Or should I just run belray or somethign along those lines in a 10w 40? I don't really want to run full or even semi synthetic, because My new engine only has about 1 and 1/2 tanks through it. What viscosity and brand should I run, and where can I get it?

400exrider707
02-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
I was going to run mobile one red cap 15w 50, but I see that they no longer make it. Now I am stumped, I have no clue what to run. I can find mobile 1 red cap 20w 50, but will that work well in my motor??? Or should I just run belray or somethign along those lines in a 10w 40? I don't really want to run full or even semi synthetic, because My new engine only has about 1 and 1/2 tanks through it. What viscosity and brand should I run, and where can I get it?

Just stick with GN4 or whatever your running right now for a while until it is properly broken in.

98red
02-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Just use AMSOIL..

wrk24wheel
02-16-2005, 07:17 PM
I have used Rotella T synthetic in all of my bikes, and continue to do so now. It can be found at walmart under $13 a gallon. It does not contain any friction modifiers like most diesel oils.

I must say that with the latest experience of the drain plug coming out in my wifes quad. Most of the mechanics can't believe that the bottom end shows no wear. This quad was running the non synthetic Rotella during break in and I had just replaced it with the Rotella T synthetic on the last oil change before its' demise.

maxamillion
02-17-2005, 03:21 PM
So if Mobil 1 red cap isnt available anymore would it be alrite to switch to GN4? Ive been using Mobil 1 for about 7 months if that makes a differents.

02-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by maxamillion
So if Mobil 1 red cap isnt available anymore would it be alrite to switch to GN4? Ive been using Mobil 1 for about 7 months if that makes a differents. i reccommend you do not..I would stick to synthetic but I could of just heard a wives tail..gramps always said not to switch back and forth with synthetic and non synthetic...i'm going to start running the extended life in my trx450r engine side I guess..i actually have been eyeing some red cap when iv'e gone to walmart the last few times and can't say that I have ever seen it

maxamillion
02-17-2005, 10:21 PM
isnt GN4 a semi synthetic though?

culookn
02-18-2005, 07:35 AM
i use the castrol syntec snythetic 10-40 or 15-40 in my 450r and i think its runs great. i use it in both sides. and i think it doesnt have that additative that destroys your clutch. try it.

UglyMotha™
02-18-2005, 07:41 AM
it will say right on the back it usally says something like "friction modifiers added" its usally in the info block

zephead400ex
02-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
i reccommend you do not..I would stick to synthetic but I could of just heard a wives tail..gramps always said not to switch back and forth with synthetic and non synthetic...i'm going to start running the extended life in my trx450r engine side I guess..i actually have been eyeing some red cap when iv'e gone to walmart the last few times and can't say that I have ever seen it

I've always heard that too, any legitimacy to that? I know a few people who have religiously used Rotella in their quads.

02-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
I've always heard that too, any legitimacy to that? I know a few people who have religiously used Rotella in their quads.

i dont know if there is or not (im thinking its someone made up but they say synethetic leaves a special film of oil on everything or something)..i had ran mobile 1 red cap in my 400ex for a long time when my mechanic switched the oil to klotz and I had a weird sounding noise from my engine..I sold the 400ex that week and got the 450r cause I didn't feel like dealing with it. My mechanic changed my clutch.

02-19-2005, 11:07 AM
what is everyone going to run now that the red cap is gone? anyone goin to use the gold cap?

EPDP99
02-19-2005, 12:27 PM
is the gold cap the mx4?? its 7.99 a quart here in AZ..

culookn
02-19-2005, 01:27 PM
i have a bunch of it at my work still.

Holeshot36
02-19-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm using the gold cap and my quad seems to run the same. I don't know what the differance is between the gold and red but i would say the gold is better if they discontie the red and put out the gold. The gold cap is also synthetic and contains no friction modifers.

cals400ex
02-20-2005, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Holeshot36
I'm using the gold cap and my quad seems to run the same. I don't know what the differance is between the gold and red but i would say the gold is better if they discontie the red and put out the gold. The gold cap is also synthetic and contains no friction modifers.

i was hoping it was better too but you know how the world works today. they can say they have their more advanced oil out to this day but i can see the oil being of cheaper quality and the price going up. i think if i get a new bike i will be running amsoil. i really haven't read that any particular oil is better.

Bill Fuller
02-20-2005, 08:28 AM
What about the Mobil Vtwin motorcycle oul that is synthetic?Anyone running it.Kinda expensive though,around $7 for a quart.I used it last time cause I couldn't find the red top.

ex101
02-20-2005, 09:20 PM
I've been running that new Mobil One 4 stroke formula for the last two oil changes w/ no problems.It is a little pricey but worth it for longevity.It's full synthetic.

Rico
02-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Holeshot36

The new gold cap 15w-50 DOES have friction modifiers, it is NOT the same as the red cap even though the weight is the same. I just got an email from Mobil 1 confirming this. I also just put in the gold cap and ran the quad up the street for about 2 minutes of ride time and the clutch was fine but I"m still going to drain it and put in something different..:mad:

Also, the new stuff does not state any changes in the formula on the back like UGLY mentioned. I Looked all over it before I bought it. They don't confirm it anywere to the public unless you ask them.

cals400ex
02-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
What about the Mobil Vtwin motorcycle oul that is synthetic?Anyone running it.Kinda expensive though,around $7 for a quart.I used it last time cause I couldn't find the red top.

i ran this last time too. i couldn't notice a difference either but i didn't have much ride time on it. i think i rather run amsoil for $7 a quart over the mobil 1, but that is just me. however, i do like the 15-50 because it is a little thinner and could prolong the life of the engine due to cold starts.

Rico
02-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i ran this last time too. i couldn't notice a difference either but i didn't have much ride time on it. i think i rather run amsoil for $7 a quart over the mobil 1, but that is just me. however, i do like the 15-50 because it is a little thinner and could prolong the life of the engine due to cold starts.

Did you know that almost all top brand cars, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc, ship their cars from the factory with Mobil 1???

That tells me it's the best there is, cuz I"m sure those companies have done their homework.. Nothing agianst amsoil, just an FYI to all the readers. I"ll actually be contacting an Amsoil Rep reguarding their oil...;)

Bill Fuller
02-21-2005, 05:47 PM
He sooo smart:rolleyes:

redrunner
02-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Haven't used it yet but when I do..just picked up 2 cases for the heck of it, red cap that is. Maybe I will auction it up on ebay in a couple of months..:blah: :D

02-21-2005, 09:00 PM
i will be running mobile 1 gold cap in my engine side of my 450r

cals400ex
02-22-2005, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Did you know that almost all top brand cars, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc, ship their cars from the factory with Mobil 1???

That tells me it's the best there is, cuz I"m sure those companies have done their homework.. Nothing agianst amsoil, just an FYI to all the readers. I"ll actually be contacting an Amsoil Rep reguarding their oil...;)

yes, i do realize that. however, that doesn't make me want to buy it. the corvette's come with fully synthetic on the show room floor. i have read numerous times that the best thing to do with this car is drain the oil immediately and run regular oil until after break in.

i have read quite a few tests where they check the metal content of the oil (i don't remember the correct term for this) and amsoil was at the top every time. now, i am not sure who put the tests on but i have seen a few with these results.

i am not going to say one is better than another because i have no proof. i am just going to say that i rather run amsoil in my bike from what i have read. whether that info was accurate or not, who knows?

Rico
02-22-2005, 07:11 AM
Well I"ve had an offer by a company to just keep running the NEW mobil 1 to see what happens. If I trash my clutch or anything else they will replace it for free. So I"m going to keep running the NEW mobil 1. They did say the ONLY thing that might need to be changed when running the friction modified oil is heavier clutch springs, which mine already has. I"ll keep everyone updated on how it works out....:cool:

I ain't skeeeeeeeeeeeert.......:o

cals400ex
02-22-2005, 11:54 AM
i have run full synthetic with the friction modifiers before too and i didn't notice a difference. however, sometimes when i run regular oil, it seems as if my clutch is slipping. right when i change the oil, this goes away. it only feels like it is slipping when i take off from a dead stop when the bike is hot. i am not sure what it is but with mobil 1 in, it has never done this. yeah, let us know how that works out for you.