PDA

View Full Version : tips for winning GNCC races

Jake250ex
02-16-2005, 10:43 AM
I know this sounds vague and general, but do you guys have any tips that make you faster in the woods?

Braff1
02-16-2005, 11:10 AM
I am no Pro rider but I ride hard and steady instead of fast and crazy. I start off on an agressive pace that I know I will be able to finish race on. By mid race you will be reeling in the fast crazy ones after they smack a couple trees and are spent. Drink plenty of water/gatoraide starting the day before the race while avoiding caffeniene. Pic goals during the race (ex. u spot a rider in front over on the next hill--> now go gettem.) helps me keep my focus on my speed and riding fast. Bring lots of family to cheer you on, it really works. Don't be afraid to adjust your suspension on your bike, tune it to YOUR liking. You will appreciate it on the track. Good set=up suspenion is always a good first start. That is all I can think of for now.

beak7707
02-16-2005, 12:26 PM
I agree with what braff said. Only I go like hell in the holeshot, you have to give it everything you have in the holeshot. Those are positions you dont have to earn in the woods. If you start way in the back from the start its a lot of work to get to the front. If you are stuck behind some people who are slower than you it could be a while for you get a chance to pass, this causing everybody else in front of you to pull away even more. In my opinion a camelback is a must, hydration is very important. if you are racing and get thirsty without water you are screwed. You did need to run a constant pace. Dont run the first 2 laps wide open because you wont have anything left at the end, then you lose all the position you worked so hard for. A constant pace will get you much farther than going like mad then being dead the last couple laps. Finishing is my main goal, I have ran races where I thought I did horrible but come to find out a bunch of other people didnt even finish and I ended up pretty good. And ride as much as you possibly can, thats the only way to get better.

BrandonBlackmon
02-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Also I am no pro but, I can throw you a few tips that help me. Practice to help u gain endurance; Try to get the holeshot but, if u know it is out of reach, fall into the line where your at and keep a good quick pace; If there is mud on the track, stay in the ruts, don't try to strattle them because you risk the chance of sliding off the course into a tree or bottoming out; If you mess up, don't focus on that keep your head in the race; and finally don't give up if your tired, always finish!!

popo
02-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Just showing up and making the effort makes you a winner, and don't worry about what the bench racers say or think.

AND NEVER CUT THE COURSE. Cheaters suck

Chino
02-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by BrandonBlackmon
Also I am no pro but, I can throw you a few tips that help me. Practice to help u gain endurance; Try to get the holeshot but, if u know it is out of reach, fall into the line where your at and keep a good quick pace; If there is mud on the track, stay in the ruts, don't try to strattle them because you risk the chance of sliding off the course into a tree or bottoming out; If you mess up, don't focus on that keep your head in the race; and finally don't give up if your tired, always finish!!

I have to disagree, I belive when you ride the ruts you stand a greater chance of high centering, i try to put my right tire in the middle spot of the two ruts, it just depends how deep it's rutted but i try and stay out of them when possible ~

Tommy 17
02-16-2005, 08:03 PM
i know this may sound stupid but pappy told me this and it makes sense...

when u have to fit between a very tight spot the worst thing u can do is let off the gas... when u think about it hittin the gas raises the front end makin the front end narrower... if u let off the gas it gets wider:eek:

he said goin faster is actually safer:p

coryatver
02-16-2005, 09:06 PM
i think he was saying that so you would have some confidence.:D

BrandonBlackmon
02-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Chino
I have to disagree, I belive when you ride the ruts you stand a greater chance of high centering, i try to put my right tire in the middle spot of the two ruts, it just depends how deep it's rutted but i try and stay out of them when possible ~

yeah, It all depends on the depth of the ruts, but I have strattled the ruts before and slid off the track right into a tree and it sucked because there were no spectators there to help me get it back on the track. Let's just say I didn't do too well on that particular day! :D