PDA

View Full Version : High Compression Piston

05-02-2002, 09:38 PM
Help me out boys????

My buddy gave me a new 12:1 Ross High Compression piston for my B-Day tonight and tomorrow is the races.

I was wondering if I had to bore my cylinder to install it or can I drop it in tonight??????

VegasEx'r
05-02-2002, 10:11 PM
If it's the stock size piston, you don't need to bore the cylinder, but you do need to hone the cylinder. Honing essentially takes off a thin layer of cylinder material, but it does not increase displacement. This is necessary because you have new ringsm and they need a fresh surface to mate to. I have never honed a cylinder before, but I don't think it is too difficult. I know that places like Auto Zone & Checker have their "loan a tool" program, and most have a honing thing that works with a drill. So if you REALLY wanted to, I guess you could take it apart tonight, get the hone tool tomorrow, hone it, reassemble it, and do a loittle break-in tomorrow before the race, but that would be a little tight. Even though it is tough to not put it in right away, you might be better off waiting. Of coures, if the piston is an overbore, you'll have to get the cylinder bored out, which would be pretty tough to do in one day (unless you know somebody personally who can do it).

chris29
05-02-2002, 10:50 PM
You might want to make sure you have Gaskets if you do go ahead and do it and some race gas for that 12:1 piston.