PDA

View Full Version : hot cam stage 1 rebuild noise

speakerboy
02-16-2005, 07:25 AM
I just rebuilt the engine on my 400ex, put in a JE .40 over piston (10.#:1) and a stage one hot cam. It starts and runs great, but at idle it has A LOT of valve noise. This noise goes away as soon as you give it a bit of gas, but it concerns me that at idle it makes so much noise. Yes, I did adjust the valves, I will recheck them after break in. Any ideas out there?

UglyMotha™
02-16-2005, 08:09 AM
are you running a full skid, hotcams will make a considerable amount of noise over stock, and a skid plate only makes it louder, mine sounds like a freight train, double check your valve clearances, if there good then i wouldn't worry about it

400exrider707
02-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Mine was like that too. I took my skids off and it did help a little but she still vibrates really bad, as well as has the valve noise.

beak7707
02-16-2005, 12:10 PM
I had the same problem with my 300ex. I put the biggest web cam in it before valve work needed to be done. It drove me nuts, i checked and adjustedmy valves all the time. My valve adj was right on and I never had a problem with it, it just made a lot of noise. The 400/300ex rocker design just seems to be noisey when you build them up. I wouldnt think you will have any problem if your valves are in specs.

400exrider707
02-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
I had the same problem with my 300ex. I put the biggest web cam in it before valve work needed to be done. It drove me nuts, i checked and adjustedmy valves all the time. My valve adj was right on and I never had a problem with it, it just made a lot of noise. The 400/300ex rocker design just seems to be noisey when you build them up. I wouldnt think you will have any problem if your valves are in specs.

I've also heard that the stage 2 hotcam doesn't have this noise though which is really odd

UglyMotha™
02-16-2005, 12:36 PM
it doesn't, it only makes bout half the noise of the stage1, i'm running a stage2

400exrider707
02-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
it doesn't, it only makes bout half the noise of the stage1, i'm running a stage2

Any idea why that is??? I'vt thought about it and really cant come up with any logical reason as to why it would do this, especially since the more aggressive cam doesn't and they are set at the same specs?

cals400ex
02-16-2005, 10:06 PM
the stage 1 is a lot louder than the stock or even stage 2 cam. i am not sure why. the stage 2 has more duration. i am not too sure on the lift. i have read specs that says the stage 1 has more lift but then i also read those specs were wrong. but i do know that cam is loud. it annoyed my buddy enough to take it out of his bike. however, it performed great on a mild motor.

speakerboy
05-02-2005, 09:57 AM
After deciding that the noise was getting worse, I torn down the head and found the camshaft bolts were loose! Put lock tight on those dudes!

UglyMotha™
05-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by speakerboy
After deciding that the noise was getting worse, I torn down the head and found the camshaft bolts were loose! Put lock tight on those dudes!

wweeeeeellllllll that is what it tells you to do in the service manual