PDA

View Full Version : is this a problem?

js3350z
02-15-2005, 07:33 PM
I just got the 2004 400ex today (new)

anyway, I was running it for a little while... and the plastics near the engine were to the point of being sticky from heat:eek2:

so, is there anything I should be worrying about (especially like what will happen when it is 90 out instead of 50)

and will a 14t in the front help starting on pavement, I either stall it or the front end lunges to the sky :cool:

this poses a bit of a problem when navigating through a tight space:huh

it is A LOT different then my TTR125 but I think it was definatly better then getting a bigger dirtbike

Thanks,
Joe

nosliw
02-15-2005, 07:39 PM
i'm not sure about the hot plastics but one thing i do remember when i first got it was that the bike will be smoking. not out the exhaust but the heat from the engine will make stuff start to smoke.

practice taking off and you'll be fine. i ride really really reeeaaalllyyyy tight steep trails and i dont have a problem manuvering at all. might go to a 14t front sprocket soon to help keep rpm's up.... but ANYWAY... you should be fine. just practice practice practice

js3350z
02-15-2005, 07:45 PM
yea, i noticed the smoke

but figured it was just burning crap off the engine

thanks for the help

NacsMXer
02-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Just practice taking off and keeping the rpm's up in the correct gear when you need to go slow. When I first bought my 400 new, I had it delivered to my house and I haden't even ridden a manual clutch quad in my life. I stalled it a bunch at first and all that but after a while you don't even think about it. You'll know you made progress when you can get the quad to get moving from a stop using the clutch alone and no throttle. ;)

js3350z
02-16-2005, 08:04 AM
do you have to feather the clutch or somethin like goin through a turn

it isn't a problem on anything except pavement, and I don't really plan on riding on the pavement to much

just from my garage to the trailer

would 14t in the front help out

thanks

ZQ8Dude
02-16-2005, 10:37 AM
yes feather it. be gentle, you'll get use to it quickly. my 400ex was my first sport quad, took me a few days to learn the clutch, but its just like a car, learn the clutch distance and the general speed.

400exrider707
02-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Dont jump right to the 14 tooth yet, the stock 400 is one of the easiest quads to learn on. Like everyone else said just practice practice practice. Clutching is key and it just takes time to learn. This is how people with slower quads can out drag race someone with a faster quad, because they know how to drive the thing:D . So get out there and practice!!!

Plante400
02-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by js3350z
I just got the 2004 400ex today (new)

anyway, I was running it for a little while... and the plastics near the engine were to the point of being sticky from heat:eek2:

so, is there anything I should be worrying about (especially like what will happen when it is 90 out instead of 50)

and will a 14t in the front help starting on pavement, I either stall it or the front end lunges to the sky :cool:

this poses a bit of a problem when navigating through a tight space:huh

it is A LOT different then my TTR125 but I think it was definatly better then getting a bigger dirtbike

Thanks,
Joe

just work on using a clutch.. thats all

js3350z
02-16-2005, 06:22 PM
ok, thanks

400EXracer74
02-17-2005, 12:08 AM
well my plastics melted a little they will melt just a little bit and once that happens then it will be done. if this continues to be a problem then you could probably stick some dynomat to the plastics where its melting and that will solve your problem. and with the sprocket a smaller sprocket will just make it take off faster, you just have to get used to the clutch more. thats all it takes is a little practice. i went one tooth smaller in the front so that it would take off a little quicker, acceleration is more improtant tha top speed.

enduro400rider
02-18-2005, 08:20 PM
i wouldnt go with a 14t in the front if your having trouble keeping the front end down. just keep practicing i got my 400 off of a kid that had almost the same problem as you he would rev it up to high and let the clutch out and i would wheelie on him he got to be afraid of it by the 2nd day which was good for me so i got a deal on it but dont be like him after a while you will be bring the front up on purpose, 400 are awsome im sure you will be glad you got it and good luck just keep practicing and i think the ttr125 has something in it that makes the clutch easier to learn with like it lets the power on slower than a 400 something like that my friend has a ttr125 and it alot different than my 400s clutch

js3350z
02-18-2005, 09:40 PM
I love doin wheelies, i got a lesson in tire pressure

I was going down somethin real narrow, leaned back in 2nd gear...

and well, the tree started to come towards me :rolleyes:

by the way, how do you brake yours in (do you follow manual)

I have been goin easy on it for 2.5h now

and am just curious how long I have to hold out:confused:

thanks

ZQ8Dude
02-19-2005, 12:28 AM
dealer told me first tank, manual says something like first 12 miles.

so i dont know, somewhere between there im about 3/4s of a tank down and i get down on it alot, but i can still fel he tranny isnt quite broken in yet