PDA

View Full Version : rezzies matter that much!?

2001400exrider
02-15-2005, 03:41 PM
i can get a pair of elka tripple rate ZPS shocks bran new for 450$ without the rezzies...would rezzies make the shock that much better?

300exOH
02-15-2005, 03:50 PM
That's what I have. They are the economy shocks. They are a huge improvement over stock shocks. For trails you should be fine without rezzies but if you are going to race you'll want them.

schulte_85
02-15-2005, 08:02 PM
rezzies make the shocks 10 times better, that is why they are more expensive also!!:D

EvilJester400EX
02-15-2005, 08:31 PM
You can add res. later on to the shocks.

DirtDevilBT
02-15-2005, 09:28 PM
You can get rezzies and then you can get rezzies w/compression adjustment. I have the R and my fronts work great, hold up well when beating them out at glamis. My friend with his 400ex has mush fronts at the end of the day. He keeps asking to buy mine.

400EXracer74
02-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Ya if you are going to race rezzies are important. they give the shock a decent amount more oil, when the shock has more oil then the oil stays cooler making it so that the shock doesnt ware out over the race time, theres a term for that i just dont remember what exactly it is.

shamisc
02-17-2005, 12:12 AM
That term is shock fade. ;) You should be more than happy with the rec. Elka if you just trail ride, etc. I have them on mine and they do everything I need and more!

400EXracer74
02-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Thats it shock fade ill remember that next time

wilkin250r
02-17-2005, 11:04 AM
The springs are not the only thing that absorb impact. Inside your shock is oil, and when your shock compresses, it forces that oil through some sort of resistance, a stack of washers, a ball-valve, it varies with different companies. This is the "valving" inside your shock.

As this oil heats up, it gets thinner. The term is "viscosity". Now, it's easier to push through the valving. As your shocks heat up, they lose performance. When they cool down, performance returns to normal.

In a serious race, you're beating the snot out of your shocks, so they heat up pretty quickly. For this, rezzies GREATLY improve performance, because they help keep the shock oil cool. You certainly don't want your shocks to go to crap on your last two laps.

When trail or recreational riding, you're generally NOT pushing your shocks as much, so you have less heat build-up, and less fade. However, you are also usually riding for much longer than a typical MX race. Rezzies MAY or MAY NOT be worth the extra money for you, it all depends on your riding style. If you're shocks aren't getting hot, you generally don't need the rezzies to keep them cool.

2001400exrider
02-17-2005, 08:27 PM
I will be out on the track and woods ridin as well so i think ill got with the rezzies but dont reall wana spend a grand on shocks lol...so i might be works tripple rates with rezzies?

Tortured Z
02-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Get the Elkas, you can have the rezzies installed later, as stated above, for about $315.00. It's cheaper than buying Works now then upgrading later because you weren't happy with them.

The main reason for rezzies is the nitrogen and shock oil are seperated which helps fading and gives adjustments. Yeah there is more oil but not enough to make a difference in a 1hr race, put your hand on some rezzies after an hour of hard ridding, you'll see what I mean.

TheJaspMan
02-18-2005, 06:01 AM
Most recreational riders/racers would never be able to tell the diffrence with or without them. And even a larger number never even get their shocks setup properly to begin with.