PDA

View Full Version : Axle Lock Nut

416HiRoller
02-15-2005, 03:27 PM
I got the nut loose but I don't know how to take it off. I took of the outside clip and every thing but when I go to unscrew the nut to pull it off the axle it just tightens up. I also screwed the small nut all the way off and it is just sitting between the rotor and the threads that it goes on. When I try to pull the the threads off it just hits something and gets caught, is something wrong or is it supposed to do that? How do I get it off?

416HiRoller
02-15-2005, 05:17 PM
anyone?

47501exracer
02-15-2005, 07:01 PM
What outside clip are you talking about? The one on the axle under the outside lock nut or down by the hub?

speedracer350X
02-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Just be patient, if everything you say is loose, then it will come off. The hard part is already done, removing the nuts and all. Maybe the threaded collar has a slight burr on it that causes it to hang up. Also, it has to come of almost perfectly straight, or it might get caught on the lip wher the circlip sits. I meanm the tolerances aren't that tight, but just enough to give you problems. Anyways, take your time, things will work out. Good things take time, believe me, I used to get impatient alot myself.Plus, using alot of WD-40 or penetrating lubricant won;t hurt either, just throw a rag over your brake rotor. Good luck!!

416HiRoller
02-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Ok I'll try that and see if it works but this morning my dad and I were trying to unscrew the outer nut to see if that was how it all came off and it ended up getting to the point where I can't even move the outer lock nut and didn't find out until I had posted the thread, now I'm back where I started.

drewdawg88t
02-15-2005, 08:24 PM
back the thin nut off the big one half way or so,then unscrew the big nut TOWARD the rotor until you see a C clip on the axle. remove the clip and the axle nut will slide off,if not then shoot it up with wd 40 or similar. the clip is all that can hang it up,with no clip on the axle it WILL come off.

416HiRoller
02-16-2005, 05:49 AM
Yea I already took the c-clip off and it was loose until we tried to unscrew the big axle nut off twards the hub and then it got stuck again and we can't get it to turn back twards the rotor. So I think that I'm going to have to get it done at cycleworld, because I can't do any more with the thing. But I'll keep trying.

UglyMotha™
02-16-2005, 08:28 AM
you don't have to take the nuts all the way off unless your replacing them, if you have the clip out then just slide the threaded sleeve off the axle

416HiRoller
02-16-2005, 02:53 PM
When I go to move the thread it gets caught up on something and I cant figure out what it's getting caught on. I took off the c-clip and the thing still wont move.

UglyMotha™
02-16-2005, 03:05 PM
if the clip is out theres nothing holding it, be sure to clean the groove out real good and try shooting some penatrating oil under the threaded sleave and then give her hell

2005 EX
02-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Ran into the same problem with a 99. The bearings in the bearing carrier were siezed to the axle. I had to take a block of wood and a hammer and just star hitting it al it finally broke loose. Need less to say I had to buy a new axle and bearing carrier because to axle had grooves where to bearing wore into it. Hope that helps.

scott daniels
02-18-2005, 09:04 PM
after you get the c-clip off of the axle, take a small fine file and lightly work your way around the axle where the c-clip was, on the out side part usually, the c-clip sometimes messes up the out side part where the c-clip hits,Thats what I had to do to mine about a year ago, Good luck

416HiRoller
02-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Yea I got it off finally me and my neighbor went to work on it tonight and got he got it off in like 2 min. It made me feel so dumb. Oh well. The OLD axle is out and the NEW Lonestar is in.

2005 EX
02-19-2005, 12:37 PM
What was it?

416HiRoller
02-19-2005, 02:35 PM
The thread had bad edges on it, preventing the whole thing from coming over where the c-clip was and off. All he had to do was knock on it with a hammer and flat head and it came right off. I don't know why I didn't think of that but oh well its off and the new one is on.

2005 EX
02-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Sweet Dude!!!:cool:

416HiRoller
02-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Yea it wasn't a problem once I got that off. Then everything went smooth.