PDA

View Full Version : I need to know the LT80 drivetrain.

wilkin250r
02-15-2005, 12:51 PM
I've got two LT80s, both used. One of them runs pretty strong, the other I've only recently got running, and it's a dog.

I'm not sure the exact problem with the second LT80, but it doesn't have NEAR the pep of the first. I don't know if it's power output, or somewhere in the drivetrain. It sounds good, and revs good, but just doesn't have the go.

Should I be looking at motor, or drivetrain? I was thinking about looking at the drivetrain first, perhaps the clutch is old and worn.

Doibugu2
02-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Your asking for help? Is the sky falling?:eek:

Just kidding, hope someone helps you out.

wilkin250r
02-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Your asking for help? Is the sky falling?:eek:

Lack of experience. I've never been inside the LT80, I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Basically, it took so much time to get the motor running that I didn't really have any time left over to troubleshoot afterwards. So now, I'm just looking for some background information before I tear into it this next weekend.

parkers30
02-15-2005, 04:55 PM
we had two for years, if you just got it running, I would say tear down and clean out the carb, they are tiny and very easily gum up, beyond that we had one that was pretty old a much newer one, both were on orginal clutch and one had a new belt, they just run forever till they need rebuilt, after all its just a scooter drive train under there

ss440ex
02-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Remove the L/H side cover,
ck condition of belt,
Disassemble front variator , clean or replace all six
rollers. (flat spots)
Clean all belt dust from both cover halves.
Blow out dust from rear pulley.
Hope that will help.

LT80
02-16-2005, 06:55 AM
What ss440ex said, I suspect a roller problem.
After that, do a good carb cleaning, then check compression.

wilkin250r
02-17-2005, 10:04 AM
At first I suspected drivetrain problems, but now that I think a bit more, I actually think it may be the motor. Lack of power. Follow my logic here, and tell me if I'm wrong.

The LT80 uses a CVT. Constant Velocity, which means that it is designed to keep the motor at a certain RPM, and eventually will over-rev when the CVT is at max gearing. If I was having clutch problems, the motor would rev to the moon, with very little grab.

If I had flat spots on the rollers, or for some reason the front pully was not getting larger as it should, then I would accelerate very well, but the motor would not sit at a constant RPM. The motor would rev up and down with speed, as if it was a fixed-pully system rather than a variable CVT. I would be able to over-rev the motor BEFORE max gearing.

As it is now, the motor revs to near the same RPM as the good unit, but I have very little acceleration, and nowhere NEAR the same top speed, and no over-rev. Also, the speed decreases on a slight uphill, but the RPM remains about the same, which tells me that the drivetrain IS working properly, but the motor just doesn't have the power.

LT80
02-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Maybe.. What's the compression?

wilkin250r
02-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by LT80
Maybe.. What's the compression?

Haven't checked that, everything is always a weekend project with me.

This little 80 had been sitting for a while, so I drained the gas, checked the filter, carb, ect, and charged the battery. I was just hoping to get it to turn over so I COULD check the compression.

With the battery charged, it sounded like it wanted to fire, so I skipped the compression test and went straight to running seat-of-the-pants test, and discovered that it doesn't have NEAR the power output of the first.

If it's any indication, it idles great. I'll check the compression this weekend.