PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Problems

National#6
02-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Has anyone had a problem with their tranny oil seeping into their engine oil?

speedfreaksguy
02-15-2005, 11:25 AM
I have seen this happen on the CRF motors. There is a seal between the two, and yours is probably bad.

National#6
02-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks SpeedFreeksguy. I have some new info on the problem. I had my mechanic tear my motor down and check the seals, gaskets, and the bearings all were good. The breather lines for the crank case and the tranny were clear. There was one marginal area, the counter balancer shaft had a few thousands play and he thought it should have none, so the seal was in question. The check valve is in the crank side so not considered, however it was good also. The oil I run is the Pro Honda 20W50 in both sides. I do run the ams oil 0W40 in colder weather due to the fact that it was extremely hard to kick over with the Honda oil in cold weather. (30 degree Mollassis) I do have motor work done to my quad but that shouldn't effect the tranny pressure. My mechanic thinks I should install another breather tube to the tranny right next to the existing one, this might solve the problem. I have also heard that you shouldn't tip the quad on its grab bar to wash the under side or to install skid plates etc., because it allows the oils to inter mingle, (Duncan Racing). If there is anything I missed please give me some feed back, this could help avoid another very expensive bill to someone else. Thanks guys I will keep you posted on the progress. P.s. I found this out after the last WORCS race in Az. I finished the race with only 3 oz oil in my tranny, the rest went into the crank case and spit out my crank case breather, in my air box and onto my swing arm. I was alittle lucky, but this also testifies that Honda makes an almost bullet proof tranny, very little damage. Most of the expense was splitting the case. (Labor hrs)

National#6
03-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Seals and bearings looked good.????? My mechanic installed another tranny breather next to the old one. we will see if this gets rid of the problem.

DirtDevilBT
03-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Wow, I don't know what to think. You got me a little nervous because I actually bought a case of engine oil and a case of tanny oil. I saved the money but I also have a lot of oil if I were to start to just run the HP4 in both.

I transport my quad most of the time with 2-5 others. Sometimes I end up with 3 stood up in my truck, mine one of them. Is this something I need to pay very close attention to? I also work on mine stood up all the time. I have not yet found an unusual amount of tranny oil missing, or a look of contamination in either cases. Should I start to freak, or is there something to help?

National#6
03-06-2005, 08:24 PM
I am just relaying information that I obtained from Leonard Duncan himself. I think it is the position on the breathers on the case, they sit lower and the level of oil might overflow through the breather hoses when tipped up. Also when you tip the quad up without draining your carb first then you wash all the oil out of the bottom of your filter when the gas runs out of your carb. just some watch outs..