PDA

View Full Version : Just got the 400

js3350z
02-15-2005, 08:20 AM
befor I left my house this morning, the guy delivered my 04 400ex

and my dads Rancher AT

So my question is, when do you check the oil (i pulled the dip-stick from the tank and it was way at the bottom of the x's)
so do you have to run it then check, let it cool etc. (i didn't even start it, because I saw the school bus go by)

and when you drain the oil, is there a drain from the engine and the tank or just the tank

and when you fill oil, do you just put it in the tank (or is there a fill on engine)

as you can tell, I wasn't able to look at it at all (i just put it in the garage, and went to the bus)

and can I use oil that is in my ttr (10-40 non-energy conserving)

Thanks, and sorry for stupid questions

js3350z
02-15-2005, 11:50 AM
come on, help

Derag2
02-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Theres a drain plug on the tank and the engine....... As wheel as there is a filter on the engine. I'm not for sure about that kind of oil you mentioned but I would run it for a little while and then try and check it. Theres no fill on the engine for oil just fill up the tank and run it and check it. If you look in the manual you'll see it shows you the spots to take bolts out to drain the oil.

Old Head
02-17-2005, 04:59 PM
All this info is in your manual that Honda gives with each bike sold. Read it. Also Clymer makes repair manuals which are very good.

js3350z
02-17-2005, 07:01 PM
I am so sorry to disturbe you, however...

the delivery guy forgot to bring the manual with him from the dealership...

they are mailing it to me

and I couldn't wait 5 days to play on "that new yellow thing in the garage"

yfz450admirer
02-18-2005, 09:23 AM
To check the oil you need to warm up the engine for 5 minutes, than unscrew the dip stick and than replace the dip stick without screwing it in, that reading should be accurate. You will not get an accurate reading unless the engine is warm. I use 10W 40 oil or 10W 30. Good luck!!

Bender
02-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Don't use automotive engine oil though.

ZQ8Dude
02-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by js3350z
I am so sorry to disturbe you, however...

the delivery guy forgot to bring the manual with him from the dealership...

they are mailing it to me

and I couldn't wait 5 days to play on "that new yellow thing in the garage"

sounds like you best color :D