PDA

View Full Version : Spelling is very important.

DeerNuts
02-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Guys, I know this is just a forum, but please do your best to spell correctly and use grammar correctly. I don't wish to sound like an *****, but it is important, agreed?

A post is just so much easier to read when it is punctuated and spelled correctly. It is so hard to read a post that is just one long sentence, in my opinion anyway. I know this has been discussed before, and I dont wish to cause any problems, but some people appreciate and respect people that take the time to do things properly.;)

At Bluetraxx ( and I realize a lot of you may not like the site), the administrator has deemed it necessary to lock any thread that is not spelled, punctuated, or formed correctly. I realize this may be a bit extreme, but it has the effect of making people do things right if they want to post.

Again, this may be a worthless thread, but I hope some of you may make the extra effort because of it to spell correctly.

A lot of you do spell very well, and it is much appreciated by all on here. There is no problem, of course, if some words are just too darned hard to spell. Just try a little harder to do it correctly!:cool:

In addition, a lot of top-end employers base their decision of whether to hire someone on the person's attention to little details. It may not seem important to you, but a proper paragraph with good spelling can be very impressive,because if a person takes the time to do the little things right, that person is more likely to do the big things right. That is an opinion several of my teachers and college professors have had, and I suspect they may be right. Just a thought.

wilkin250r
02-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Amen.

As Deernuts alluded to, the only little tidbit of your character we ever see is the words you type on the screen. If you have no punctuation, poor spelling, and are generally too lazy to bother with proper grammer, then you come off looking very stupid.

Think about it. We don't know you, how you act, your moral character, or your maturity level. The words we see on the screen LOOK like they've been written by an idiot, what else can we conclude except that you ARE an idiot?

Now, we're not talking small errors or typos. If you accidently type "teh" instead of "the", nobody is going to make a big deal. If you mistake "your" for "you're", that's a little worse, but still not a major problem. But if you make NO EFFORT AT ALL to make your post legible, or look up the proper spelling of a word that you don't know, then don't expect any simpathy from us.

This is a sore spot with me. I've spent many hours working on engines, researching different topics, and learning about my sport, and I'm not the only one. Many people have spent countless hours gaining knowledge, the collective knowledge base on this board is the result of a lot of hard work. I'm willing to share my knowledge, but you have to do your part, too. If you can't be bothered to use proper spelling and grammer, then don't expect to take advantage of all of MY hours of hard work.

Stevie-D
02-15-2005, 02:42 PM
,because if a person takes the time to do the little things right, that person is more likely to do the big things right.

hmmmm....now where have i heard that before???:D

baja_racer
02-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Great post......I thought I was the only one who was annoyed by illiteracy.

Alberta_Qaudin
02-15-2005, 02:59 PM
hoked one foknix warked fo meh.....

lol, sorry couldnt resist. But no your right i may not have as much time here as most of you but it does make for a much better info. spot if you can actually read and understand what people are trying to get across instead of having to guess

chucked
02-15-2005, 02:59 PM
qut iz u b talkin bout?

02-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by chucked
qut iz u b talkin bout?

Your a homo too.

SRH
02-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by DeerNuts
Guys, I know this is just a forum, but please do your best to spell correctly and use grammar correctly. I don't wish to sound like an *****, but it is important, agreed?

A post is just so much easier to read when it is punctuated and spelled correctly. It is so hard to read a post that is just one long sentence, in my opinion anyway. I know this has been discussed before, and I dont wish to cause any problems, but some people appreciate and respect people that take the time to do things properly.;)

At Bluetraxx ( and I realize a lot of you may not like the site), the administrator has deemed it necessary to lock any thread that is not spelled, punctuated, or formed correctly. I realize this may be a bit extreme, but it has the effect of making people do things right if they want to post.

Again, this may be a worthless thread, but I hope some of you may make the extra effort because of it to spell correctly.

A lot of you do spell very well, and it is much appreciated by all on here. There is no problem, of course, if some words are just too darned hard to spell. Just try a little harder to do it correctly!:cool:

In addition, a lot of top-end employers base their decision of whether to hire someone on the person's attention to little details. It may not seem important to you, but a proper paragraph with good spelling can be very impressive,because if a person takes the time to do the little things right, that person is more likely to do the big things right. That is an opinion several of my teachers and college professors have had, and I suspect they may be right. Just a thought.

who cares..if u dont like my internet short hand put me on block, ive been posting on here for 4 years and never had a problem with someone understanding what im saying, maybe if its too diffcult to read internet slangs and shorthand you should study it more often

fiufng stuyd hund gthi ?

Tommy 17
02-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by SRH
who cares..if u dont like my internet short hand put me on block, ive been posting on here for 4 years and never had a problem with someone understanding what im saying, maybe if its too diffcult to read internet slangs and shorthand you should study it more often

fiufng stuyd hund gthi ?

word:macho

fyi nofc :p

MotoX3
02-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by kicks
Your a homo too. if all your going to do is question peoples sexuality..please dont post...i dont want to hear it...neither does anyone else

wilkin250r
02-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by SRH

Yeah, but that's EXACTLY the point. You've been using internet shorthand for years, and we ALL know the public opinion you hold around here. It's a good thing you keep your posts short, or we'd all stop reading halfway through.

chucked
02-15-2005, 05:41 PM
IMO, Its NOT necessrily the spelling, when important letters are missing out of words, and the author doesnt bother to fix it, it can look like or be a different word and make no sence. also, when someone has what should be an entire paragraph, but it just turns out to be one long *** sentence, they look like an idiot.

Bush0102
02-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by SRH

fiufng stuyd hund gthi ?

i think hes just pissed off at all the 14 yea rold s who can ttype an dmake there ntire pos tunreedable and ones entence.

Stevie-D
02-15-2005, 06:13 PM
I didnt mean for this thread to start a lot of problems and chit. Sorry if I did. We are all just expressing our viewpoints; however, some of them are more reasonable than others;)

I don't see why you all need to get in a pissing contest over it. You need to admit that a properly spelled, puntuated, etc... post is a lot easier to read and appreciated than one that isn't, right?

I can read Internet jibberish or whatever you want to call it as well as anyone else, just don't care to in some situations, you know?

(Dont anybody post that example of a HORRIBLY misspelled paragraph as proof that humans can read easily regardless of spelling [the one that was supposedly done as a study]). :rolleyes:

BTW, thanks for the support, Wilkin. You make a lot of good points in pretty much all your posts. Good stuff man.

theTman
02-15-2005, 06:16 PM
wutz ar yu takin abut ser?

DeerNuts
02-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Sorry, that last post wasn't made by Steve. It was made by me.

Forgot to log himself out, and I forgot to log myself in. Im a dumb*****.:o

dpizz450
02-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by kicks
Your a homo too.