View Full Version : Stock 'R suspension settings

MIA450R
02-14-2005, 09:47 PM
The 450R service manual says the stock suspension settings are as follows:

Front comp: 1 7/8 turns out from full in
Front rebound: 1 3/8 turns out from full in

Rear comp: 26 clicks out from full in
Rear rebound: 1 3/4 turns out from full in

What is FULL IN? All the way clockwise or cc???

And, what are the stock pre-load settings? How many exposed threads (from top or bottom)???

Thanks!

MIA450R
02-15-2005, 07:04 PM
anyone?

kssandduner
02-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Full in would be all the way clockwise, and I'm not too sure about factory settings on preload, mine was set somewhere in the middle. I backed my preload all the way off as soon as I got it.

Joe

MIA450R
02-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Thanks.

Re: the preload, I too did the same thing to drop the quad and widen it a touch, to prevent tippyness. Problem is, I bottom on big jumps. Reducing the preload to almost 0 is taking the springs out of their optimal range. Need to find another solution for this....so I'm going with a wider axle, and either front wheel spacers or wider a-arm setup, if I can afford. Then setting preload back to stock, maybe even a touch stiffer.

Needed to get all the settings all back to stock to test with new, wider stance.

kargaaro
02-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Don't be afraid to turn the compression up more if you're bottoming. I change mine between XC and MX. Pretty much all the way stiff for mx and middle of the road for xc depending on the conditions. I recommend backing the rebound down in the rear or it'll buck you off!

MIA450R
02-17-2005, 05:40 AM
Right on...

I've toyed with the compression quite a bit, but havent gone so far as full compression. Might have to try it, although, for when I'm not jumping, higher compression makes for a jarring, knock-your-fillings-out ride....but I see where that wouldnt be a prob for MX, but would be for XC.

As for the rebound, yeah, if there's one thing I dont like about the new R, its the rebound on the rear shock. I think my 400EX rear shock had less buck! Even with rebound all the way off, it still kicks....figured that was going to be addressed on 05's, guess not.

Thx again for the info & tips.