PDA

View Full Version : To Build or To Buy A-Arms

DUNEZRUNNER
02-14-2005, 06:17 PM
I am in getting ready to put some extended a-arms on my 400. Right now I am trying to decide on wether I should build them or just buy some. I have the capabilities to build them, but I just don't know how well the shock companies work with you when you custom build the a-arms. Does anyone have any experience in custom building thier a-arms or should I just buy me so Housers instead?

Thanks

Thomas

44oEX
02-14-2005, 06:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing as you before I got mine. But you can buy some used ones for less then you you could buy the materiel to build them. you need chromoly not steel

DUNEZRUNNER
02-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Yeah I know I was going to build them out of 1" .095 for the lowers and 3/4" .095 for the uppers with a heim joint on the top and a uniball on the bottom. With possibly using heim joints for the pivots on the top as well

Thomas

44oEX
02-14-2005, 06:27 PM
cause I wanted to build some but I got my LSR for 300$ and you can get burgards for like 200$. That is almos not worth the trouble of building some. and it's not just the building the geometrie has to be perfect for it to work good.

But for all I know you might be a engineer. lol
well good luck on that.

DUNEZRUNNER
02-15-2005, 09:38 PM
So I am guessing that by the lack of replies that I should just buy some or is there actually that few of people that have built their own A-Arms.

bradley300
02-16-2005, 06:11 AM
you have to know alot more about suspension besides, making a-arms longer before you build your own. that and the fact that the chances of your fist set being close is slim to none. by the time its all said and done, its quicker and easier to buy a set unless you have some enginerring experience, welding and a high knowledge of steering and suspension geometry. if you can build them your self, works and elka are very easy to deal with for custom shocks. all you have to do is call themup and ask them to send you a build sheet. the sheet ask for a bunch of measurements you fill out. then just send the sheet back in and they build your shocks

dirtmomma
02-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Well if you have the ability to makethem thats the route I would go but thats just me :)

i have homeade ones on my 300ex they are +3 :eek2: & nice!! My fabricator did an awesome job, he builds buggies down in Az. in his "spare" time :)

He actually used my stock ones & went from there!! I am getting ready to go skinnier though for the trails, some of the bridges I can't get over!! But they are great ont he flattrack!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Smoker
02-16-2005, 09:37 AM
It would be fun to build your own, hopefully you have TIG experience, I imagine MIG welds would hold up for a while, but not as strong. I would just duplicate the geometry of stock or after market arms if someone will let you get measurements. There are a lot of angles to consider but the satisfaction out of building your own could out weigh the effort. I'm all for DIY, most of the time though, when it comes down too it, your better off buying a completed product for the time, cost, and quality of a professional product. Good luck!!:p

DUNEZRUNNER
02-16-2005, 03:23 PM
I have fabrication experience. I have built several sandbuggies. From basic ones to long travel with 20" of wheel travel at all 4 corners. I know that tig welding them would be ideal but I feel that mig welding them would be more that satisfactory as long as I heat relieve them after I am done welding them. I was just looking to see if anyone had any experience in building their own and how the shock manufactures were to deal with on a custom application.

Also Dirtmomma who is your fabricator down in AZ that did them?
Thanks

Thomas