PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think about shortening pipes

enduro400rider
02-14-2005, 05:11 PM
i have been thinkin about shortening my yoshi not to much like 2 or 3 inches do you get any power gains from this? i know it will be louder but what ever i like so i dont have to worry about
it would be used mostly on a track so sound isnt really to much of a problem

44oEX
02-17-2005, 06:23 AM
well you sould see a top end power gain but you could lose a little botttom end

flat_track400ex
02-17-2005, 02:19 PM
i did it to my e series and it seem to run a lil better and it got louder but it sounded good i like the idea about doing it, it must help cuz TC is one of the best pipes out there and its a shortie now nmotion has a short so there must be a plus about shorting your silencer

400grl
02-17-2005, 03:05 PM
We chopped my stock YFZ pipe down to just over 6"'s - to get all the baffles/restrictions out, to lighten it up and to be different. As far as any performance gains, yes - but because all the restrictions inside the pipe are now gone......it's obnoxiously loud, which I like sometimes and sometimes don't.......I wouldn't expect a whole lot of difference out of whacking an aftermarket pipe - mostly the noise level.

Cody_300ex
02-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Most people do it so if they get rear ended in a race it wont get smashed.

pead_24
02-17-2005, 06:40 PM
i thought when you shorten a pipe you gain low-end?????

cletusEX
02-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Yeah supposedly you gain low-end. I shortened a T-4 on my 400ex cause it was damaged. I did not really notice any gains in power. If anything it might have sharpened up the throttle response. It really didn't make it too much louder. I probably shortened it 5 inches.

throwinitup
02-18-2005, 05:03 AM
my big gun is shortened and its still sweet, but i would figure out a way to retain some packing because you tend toget a hollow sound out of a completely empty pipe.

enduro400rider
02-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by throwinitup
my big gun is shortened and its still sweet, but i would figure out a way to retain some packing because you tend toget a hollow sound out of a completely empty pipe.

they take ALL the packing out when you have it shortened? :confused:

400grl
02-18-2005, 11:33 AM
My stock pipe has packing between the walls of the pipe....I don't get that hollow sound. Not sure about other pipes.

PIMP
02-18-2005, 05:57 PM
yeah its a good idea but just remember that when you want to sell it most of the people dont like shortys, so its going to be a lil hard to sell.;)

enduro400rider
02-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by PIMP
yeah its a good idea but just remember that when you want to sell it most of the people dont like shortys, so its going to be a lil hard to sell.;)

yeah i never thought of that but i dont think i would sell it i like it too much ;)

JOEX
02-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
Most people do it so if they get rear ended in a race it wont get smashed.
If you're getting rear ended you aint goin' fast enough! :devil: :D

2muchquad
02-19-2005, 10:37 PM
shortening your silencer will gain a lil'mo low end,while a longer HEAD pipe will give more bottom to mid

engle_andrew
11-13-2005, 02:04 PM
i cut my pipe and it screams it is so much faster i got a k&n airfilter and did this pipe and omg it haulks.

11-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
We chopped my stock YFZ pipe down to just over 6"'s - to get all the baffles/restrictions out, to lighten it up and to be different. As far as any performance gains, yes - but because all the restrictions inside the pipe are now gone......it's obnoxiously loud, which I like sometimes and sometimes don't.......I wouldn't expect a whole lot of difference out of whacking an aftermarket pipe - mostly the noise level.

im making my 400ex stocker in to a shorty to. my e-series shorty i didnt feel any gain or loss in power

now sence i have my stock one on it takes like 5 secs to top out in 1st and when i had my shorty it toped out with in 1 sec.