PDA

View Full Version : Should I do it???

hondardr4life
02-14-2005, 05:10 PM
I have an FMF Megamax full system right now. I Really hate it, and it seems very restrictive on the power of the bigger engine. Plus it got quieter when I put in the bore kit. Now I personally don't like quiet, especially when everyone else has a louder pipe than you and you can't even hear your own engine to know when to shift. I was talking to someone on here who put an HMF slip on on to their FMF headpipe. All they said they had to do was cut the header about four inches. Now I am thinkign about doing this, because I heard that HMF's are wicked loud, and they have very nice power. Should I bother, or do you think its a waste of time?

And last, I have read many threads about puttign a 400ex carb on a 300es, but never a 330ex. How much more power would I gain by doing this? My port work is nothign special at all, because I did it myself, so I didnt take off all that much, I just sharpened the little piece of metal that splits the 2 intake valves apart, and took off some metal on th einside of the intake and exhaust ports. I am thinking that it will make a pretty big defference because of the much bigger motor and cam. But I am not sure.

hondardr4life
02-15-2005, 01:08 PM
BuMp

m250r
02-15-2005, 01:30 PM
First off...GET RID OF THE MEGAMAX....they are horrible with power..you will be much better off with an HMF w/ a white brothers header (not cutting/welding at all) sell the megamax.

also...i have been told that the 400ex carb works wonders with a bored 300. i would say GO FOR IT!:macho

hondardr4life
02-15-2005, 02:51 PM
I would love to get rid of the Megamax, but the problem is money. The FMF header is a good header, beacuse it is a lot shorter than most others. It comes out and goes between the frame and the motor, whie most other pipes go around the frame like the stock one. I think I will get just as good power out of the FMF header vs the WB as long as i have the HMF silencer, plus I don't mind cutting the header. I think that anything is better than a stock 300 header, because it is very narrow. Plus I have heard that power is mainly affected be the silencer, not the header. And I also want to make the megamax silnecer fit on to my arctic cat 300, lol, jut to get a little more power and noise out of it. Are HMF's really as loud as people say?

m250r
02-15-2005, 07:49 PM
they are pretty loud but they are powerful as hell

Aceman
02-15-2005, 08:54 PM
I think Dirtmomma has a 400ex carb on her 3??ex. Try pm'ing her.

LazeR
02-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by m250r
they are pretty loud but they are powerful as hell

that they are ;)

efilnicafesin
02-16-2005, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
I think Dirtmomma has a 400ex carb on her 3??ex. Try pm'ing her.

There are a few threads going on here right now with 400ex carbs on 300ex's.... I just put one on my 250x and it works wonders....

m250r
02-16-2005, 12:44 PM
efilnicafesin..did u notice a difference with the piston and carb? i'm thinking about getting an 11:1 .80 over Wiseco and was wondering if it was worth it?

Out_Sider
02-16-2005, 03:21 PM
idk about the whole cuttin the head pipe and all that crap, but i'd just sell the fmf on ebay for whatever u can get for it, then get a good pipe. i have a DMC right now for sale

Hon300ex
02-16-2005, 04:10 PM
if i want to put an HMF slip on on a white bros head pipe do u have to cut the end of the HMF slip on becuase i heard if u go back on a wheelie the pipe will hit the ground. so do u need to cut it a little??

hondardr4life
02-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Bump. Anyone know anything about the 400 carb on the 330, I cant find anything useful with search. And any more opinions about what I plan on doing with the hmf, and if it is worth it.

ghak99
02-19-2005, 05:57 PM
If you are good at jetting or are willing to pay someone to jet it right, get the 400ex carb. It should wake up your 330 quite a bit, that is if you get a good pipe to go with it.

On the pipe situation, just save your money and buy a good complete system. A bigger head pipe makes a big difference when you up the cc's of your motor. I would suggest a sparks. Talk to anyone who has had a sparks pipe, they are worth every penny and are one of the best, if not the best, pipe on the market. The x6 is a one piece pipe, the header end is huge, the coating is good looking, the sound is in a class of its own, and the performance is astounding.