PDA

View Full Version : lost key

flaneledholes
05-02-2002, 06:47 PM
Hey I lost my key to my 300ex. I dont know what to do about starting it. I heard you can hot wire it( I would really like to avoid this but if I have to I will). Do you know where I can get a replacement key. Any help please Im going on a ride this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-02-2002, 06:48 PM
i dunno for sure but if you take your serial number to a dealer i think they can cut you a key

flaneledholes
05-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Thanks I will do this after school tomorrow... But if I cant how can I hot wire and if I do can I put it back together so I can use the key???????

Sick0
05-02-2002, 06:57 PM
Find the two wires that run into the keyswitch. There should be a red and a black. Cut them and connect them togather. You may want to put some of switch in the connection to turn of the batery so you don't drain it.

05-02-2002, 07:10 PM
I had the same problem it is an easy fix but it is just a pian. All you have to do is hotwire it. There are two wires taht run from the key holder/switch there are two quike disconects on it. Disconnect those two wires then with the ends of the wires that come from down within the frame/motor area and plug them together they should fit right together. Its an easy fix but a pain becasue you have to keep undoing and puting the wires back together but ohh well at least you can ride heres a diagram to help out this shoulf make it possible to ride this weekend

05-02-2002, 07:13 PM
ohh yea the two wires should fit right together to. The made them opposites so it was easy to hotwire. (ones famale ones male)

05-03-2002, 11:19 AM
You sure its a good idea to tell people who to hot wire your bikes no one can hot wire mine its all hidden

330EXman
05-03-2002, 11:58 AM
OK GUY DONT GO TO YOUR DEALER THEY WILL HAVE TO SELL YOU A HOLE NEW KEY SWITCH.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS UN PLUG THE KEY SWITCH AND PLUG THE TWO WIRES TOGETHER DONT CUT THEM IF YOU PLUG THEM TOGETHER WHICH DOES WORK CAUSE I TRIED IT YOU WILL HAVE THE PLUGS FOR WHEN YOU GET A NEW SWITCH!

05-03-2002, 12:10 PM
contact honda

flaneledholes
05-03-2002, 12:46 PM
Thankyou soooooooooooooo much 330 ex man and the rest of you guys. It started right up!!!!!!1 Im just afraid someone is gonna come still my quad now jking. Im still gonna go get me a new key made or what ever I have to buy for it. But hey at least Im back on the trails. Do you guys know of any other ways I can be more secure about someone stealing my quad???????

Woodsrider
05-03-2002, 12:48 PM
Take your proof of ownership and I.D. with you and they can cut you a key from your VIN. Have them right down your "key code" and put it in a safe place for the next time you loose it.

As for the rest of you, write the code down that is on the side of your key. that is all you need at the dealer to get a new key made:D

Honda Guy
05-03-2002, 01:13 PM
Do you do the same on a 400EX I cant get the Key switch out of the plastic in the manual I looks simple just push the little things together and pull it out of push it though which do you do and is this how you do it?

RED121572
05-03-2002, 01:46 PM
Thats funny. I lost my key to my ole 300EX a few years ago too. Not too much fun. Anyways, heres what I did about the situation. I took my ignition switch to a locksmith and he made me a key for it. Cost a few bucks.

Good luck hoss!

RED121572
05-03-2002, 01:49 PM
Honda guy,

Youve got it right. Press in the tab and using alot of elbow grease, wiggle it out of there. Its a pain in the rear, but she'll come out.

stevengates45
05-03-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by needspeed
You sure its a good idea to tell people who to hot wire your bikes no one can hot wire mine its all hidden

Bet i can!:D

Honda Guy
05-03-2002, 06:40 PM
is the 400 and 300 ignioion the same or similar? I was only able to turn it around so when the keys on its really off