PDA

View Full Version : Grease fitting, rear axle of a 400ex??

chucked
02-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Anyone ever done it, I keep blowing out my rear carrier bearings, I want to try to put a grease fitting in the carrier, but I cant find any place to put it.

F-16Guy
02-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Anyone ever done it, I keep blowing out my rear carrier bearings, I want to try to put a grease fitting in the carrier, but I cant find any place to put it.
I'm pretty sure those bearings are sealed. I don't think they would accept grease even if you did put a zerk on it. Have you ever thought about trying tapered bearings? They tend to hold up better to lateral loads.

K_Fulk
02-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
I'm pretty sure those bearings are sealed. I don't think they would accept grease even if you did put a zerk on it. Have you ever thought about trying tapered bearings? They tend to hold up better to lateral loads.

That pretty much sums it up.

The dual row carriers last longer then stock and come with grease zerks, but all it is lubricating is the center tube.

chucked
02-14-2005, 06:19 PM
well I would have to pull the inner dust seals off, Ive done it on other bikes before, thats not the problem.

shamisc
02-14-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm assuming you are replacing the dust seals every time you install bearings? If so, check the surfaces on your axle and brake hub for wear, gouges, and knicks. That could be the reason. New bearings in a stock carrier usually last more than a year or so. If they're not lasting you that long, I would say your problem is elsewhere. I would definately get a twin row carrier though. They are worth their weight in gold. Burgard's are just as good as the expensive ones and I think i paid like $125 for mine.;)

chucked
02-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
I'm assuming you are replacing the dust seals every time you install bearings? If so, check the surfaces on your axle and brake hub for wear, gouges, and knicks. That could be the reason. New bearings in a stock carrier usually last more than a year or so. If they're not lasting you that long, I would say your problem is elsewhere. I would definately get a twin row carrier though. They are worth their weight in gold. Burgard's are just as good as the expensive ones and I think i paid like $125 for mine.;)

I just hate to break down and spend the money, I just bought a truck

Rich250RRacer
02-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by chucked
well I would have to pull the inner dust seals off, Ive done it on other bikes before, thats not the problem.

The inner seals do not have to be removed. I know this is hard to believe but grease actually does get to them. I have a carrier that was CNC machined by a friend who works at a machine shop
(he also made my anti-fade), his products go by the name "Quad Trash" and he's pretty well known around northeast Ohio. When he assembled my carrier, he put the bearings in with the seals in place and I questioned it, but the first time i put the grease gun on it, I had grease seeping out around the outer seal. I've always put new brearings in this way since.